EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

6.4 F250 to Ecoboost F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ericnottelin
Now the only think so far I know I don't like is the electronic rear locker. The Chevy has a mechanical rear locker that automatically locked up when needed. It had saved my 2wd from getting stuck on more than one occasion. If I have learned correctly, the Fords 4wd versions will only allow lockup after you turn the selector switch to 4HI.

Eric

Actually...you can switch the E-locker on in 4HI or 4LO on the fly. That is what 4x4 does for you...so you don't have to worry about getting stuck like with your chebby 2wd.

Really only need the E-locker for maximum traction situations...

Good luck...

biz

Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ericnottelin
Ok guys, Please don't beat me up too bad. First off, I am considering a new Ford (screw w/ 4x4 & max tow package - 3.73). I am hesitant to get a ford as I used to be a die hard Ford fan until I had to rebuild transmissions in multiple trucks (and yes I maintained them routinely because I towed with them). I tried a Chevy Silverado 4.8L w/ 4 speed tranny and 3.73 gears (got an awesome deal). Must say, I love this truck but it has a max tow rating of 6800 lbs. And my unloaded fuel economy sucks (13mpg in city and 16-17mph on the highway - and I drive like an old man) (also, towing my small 5x8 trailer filled w/ two dirt bikes my Silverado obtained 13.5 mpgs going 65mph on flat Florida roads which really wasn't too bad).

My family is thinking of getting a 24' toy hauler that weighs 5800 lbs or so. With one ATV, two dirt bikes, camping gear, family etc, I'm sure I am going to blow right past my limit on my current Chevy.

Now I know Chevy's 4x4 5.3L w/ the 6 speed and 3.42 rear end and heavy duty cooling package can tow 9500 lbs. Now this is great for mpgs but I think I will be to close to my limit and I plan on towing from Florida (which gets really hot) to the mountains of N.C. and we know about the high grade roads there. So the max tow package gives you the 6.2L engine and 3.73 gears which kicks up the tow rating to 10,400 lbs. But your mpgs are going in the pooper with the bigger engine.

With that in mind, this truck will be my daily driver with towing the above mentioned trailer once a month about 400 miles a month and to N.C. or GA at least a few times a year.

I am leaning to Ford because of the larger rear seating area and the EB engine.

So, the question for the day

I am debating on either getting a F250 w/ the diesel or the F150 FX4 with the EB. Now the only think so far I know I don't like is the electronic rear locker. The Chevy has a mechanical rear locker that automatically locked up when needed. It had saved my 2wd from getting stuck on more than one occasion. If I have learned correctly, the Fords 4wd versions will only allow lockup after you turn the selector switch to 4HI.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Any help would be great. Looking to improve my unloaded fuel economy and not having to go 35mph up the mountains because my truck can't pull the weight. If I have to go with the diesel, then great but if I can save money both on the purchase and then the maintenance, then I would go with the EB

Eric
the electronic locking differential works in 2high,4high, and 4lowlock at various speeds!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
ericnottelin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j.grif
the electronic locking differential works in 2high,4high, and 4lowlock at various speeds!
Sorry, I'm confused. My friend has a F150 fx4. His electric locker is engaged by a pull of the 4x4 switch. You can only engaged the electric locker when the truck is in either 4hi or 4lo as previously stated by another. When the switch is in 2hi, you can't pull the switch out?

Am i missing something?

Also, what I meant about the Chevy locker, is that it engages automatically and I didn't have to do a thing. It also does it in the 4x4 models.

So for example, (and this happened to me so I have first hand experience) If i had to pull of the road onto the very very very soft should of a small mountain road because an 18 wheeler is coming down the mountain, I left my left side tires on the pavement and right side tires off. Now, when I went to pull off of said shoulder, my right tire instantly started to spin. A moment later, my left one locked up automatically and I just drove out of the shoulder. A mile up the road, a Ford Explorer 4x2 was stuck (right tire buried). So, I know i can turn it to 4x4 and no problems, but it would be nice to be able to lock the rear end when you need only minor help in 4x2 mode. Heck it would be better if it did it for you automatically either in 4x2 or 4x4 modes and give you the option to lock it in ahead of time if you know you are going someplace nasty

- please don't take this as a Ford bashing comment. Trust me there are things I don't like about my Chevy. As there are things I like about my Chevy, there are things I really like about the new Ford - Thus my interest.

btw, thanks biz. That is exactly why I am interested in a 4x4 vs the 4x2.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
On. My 2012, the differential lock **** pulls out in all positions, fx4 maxtow

Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 AM
AlbyVA
Senior User
I'm about to embark on this path of selling my 2008 F250 King Ranch 6.4L
and using the proceeds to buy a used 2009 or 2010 F150 Lariat and the
extra money going towards a 6" lift, 35x tires, and a Kenwood Excelon
Stereo/Navigation unit.

I love my F250, but the operating costs are just becoming too much.
Not just with diesel being somewhat more than gasoline but also with
repair costs being excessively higher than similar repairs to a F150.

So with 85,000 miles and the truck still being in good shape, It's best
to unload it now before it depreciates anymore. Oh and let me not forget
the Personal Property Taxes that run $1000/yr too. Ugh!!!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Originally Posted by spunout
I am thinking of making the switch from my 08 6.4 F250 to the F150 Ecoboost and wondering if anyone else has made the switch and whether or not they are happy with their decision.
I went from a 2011 F350 6.7 PSD 4x4 Lariat to a 2012 F150 4x4 EcoBlast. Very pleased. If you have an '08 PSD, you're probably ready for anything else. The '08 6.4 wasn't the best engine Ford ever put in their trucks and it had its issues.