6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

HID or stay factory?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Budlight592
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID or stay factory?

I would really like to put the HID on the truck but after having them on my wife's Ford Escape Limited and them not working right or at all most of the time I have my fears. I believe they were the "china" style. Just curious if anyone is using them and they are working right? Wife's car had the passenger side light that never wanted to work so I removed them and chunked it in the trash and put the brightest bulbs I could find back in. Thanks for any help. The factory lights leave a lot to be desired that's for sure. I think I could tape a maglite to the hood and get better results.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Agreed, I needed more light. I looked around and could not find a HID kit I though was good quality over all. I would have to buy housings and the ballast etc seperately and put it all together. I want a complete kit that is designed for the truck. I don't think there is such a thing, at least not that I could find. I also do not want to get flashed all the time becuase I have cheap HID's that are causing other driver problems.

Maybe there is a good kit now that includes the housings, ballasts, wiring and everything. If there is somene please let me know.

I am not a big fan of the light bar look but I ended up putting on a Randy Ellis design light bar and 4 - 8" KC's. Solved the light problem for sure.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with an FXR Stage III kit from theretrofitsource.com. From all that I've read, and I read A LOT before I ordered it, it seems to be one of the best kits out there. It's a complete HID projector setup with OEM quality components, including actual Phiilips bulbs and ballasts. I've got the kit now, and I'm impressed with the quality of the components. I'll be installing it on my truck as soon as I get my hands on it. It involves disassembling and taking a dremel to your headlights, but the install doesn't look to bad to me if you're willing to take it on and do a careful job of it.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by B&LLandscaping
I went with an FXR Stage III kit from theretrofitsource.com. From all that I've read, and I read A LOT before I ordered it, it seems to be one of the best kits out there. It's a complete HID projector setup with OEM quality components, including actual Phiilips bulbs and ballasts. I've got the kit now, and I'm impressed with the quality of the components. I'll be installing it on my truck as soon as I get my hands on it. It involves disassembling and taking a dremel to your headlights, but the install doesn't look to bad to me if you're willing to take it on and do a careful job of it.

Thanks! I never knew of that one. Please let us know how it works and post some pics!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
sloopdog1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but why does any one need that much light from the front of their truck?Have any of you ever met a vehicle like that at night, with all the lights on,while you were driving a Taurus or some other low sitting car?Painfull to look at.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by sloopdog1
Don't take this the wrong way, but why does any one need that much light from the front of their truck?Have any of you ever met a vehicle like that at night, with all the lights on,while you were driving a Taurus or some other low sitting car?Painfull to look at.
I am not an interstate driver. Mostly back roads with no one on them. I shut them down as soon as I see headlights oncoming. I leave for work at 4:00 AM (usually) and travel where there are a lot of deer and moose. It is GREAT to be able to see far ahead as well as far into the ditches.

My boss hit a moose last year in her pathfinder and the thing came through the windshield and she was quite badly injured (also wrote off the vehicle). That is what I am trying to avoid.

When driving in traffic I do not use them, that would just be mean
And prob get you a pretty good ticket.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Cold One
Senior User

darren32, how is the light bar holding up in the salt? I am in the same situation leaving early, back roads, and deer.I had my k/c's mounted on my back rack and bought a system one so the lights need to go somewhere.Thanks in advance

Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
'08FX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
I am not an interstate driver. Mostly back roads with no one on them. I shut them down as soon as I see headlights oncoming. I leave for work at 4:00 AM (usually) and travel where there are a lot of deer and moose. It is GREAT to be able to see far ahead as well as far into the ditches.

My boss hit a moose last year in her pathfinder and the thing came through the windshield and she was quite badly injured (also wrote off the vehicle). That is what I am trying to avoid.

When driving in traffic I do not use them, that would just be mean
And prob get you a pretty good ticket.

Thanks
Same reason I installed HID's in my bike- you hit a deer or moose on a bike and it's game over, no reset button. My biggest fear, well that and being eaten by sharks.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Cold One
darren32, how is the light bar holding up in the salt? I am in the same situation leaving early, back roads, and deer.I had my k/c's mounted on my back rack and bought a system one so the lights need to go somewhere.Thanks in advance
It's holding up great, there is not a spot on it. It is a great product, very stong and the finish is very good. Randy Ellis Designs. I also got great service.

My wheels and king shocks on the other hand are taking a beating. They are going to look pretty rough come spring. LOTS of salt this year!

Thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
I put a pair of HID driving lights in my bumper to help me see the deer/elk in the dark. A couple of months ago it was a horse in the road at 4 AM, a bay horse at that!.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
I put a pair of HID driving lights in my bumper to help me see the deer/elk in the dark. A couple of months ago it was a horse in the road at 4 AM.
Got a pic of that install?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Here's a pic with them turned on. Sorry, it's dark out, I'll take a better pic in the daylight.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Issues with hides staying on, please help?

I installed hdm tuning 4500k 55w hid lights with high low about 10 months ago. Starting yesterday, I noticed that the headlights are staying on for 20+ minutes, even though I have lights set to turn off after 90sec and locked the doors. They have worked great until yesterday. I have to open the door and the light switch to off to get the lights off. What should I do? I don't want to take to dealership as I will have to remove the hid kit? Will disconnecting the battery cables for a few minutes to reset the computer help?

Job 1 2011 lariat crew f250

Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
I put a pair of HID driving lights in my bumper to help me see the deer/elk in the dark. A couple of months ago it was a horse in the road at 4 AM, a bay horse at that!.
Looks great! Where did u get them?

Quick Reply: HID or stay factory?