Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud beeping coming from under Dash..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
JessieDM
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud beeping coming from under Dash..

1994 F150XL, 4.9L, E40D

So... I think I may have caused a problem under the dash of my truck.

My truck has vinyl interior, and vinyl mat floor. Every time I've washed the truck, I've sprayed out the floor in the interior. Never had an issue doing this... until now. I know, I know... I'm an idiot.

Since I sprayed it out, I now have a beeping sound that's coming from under the drivers side of the dash. The truck will still start and drive fine, but whenever I shut the truck off, the beeping begins. I think I've found the source of the sound, but I can't be sure. It seems to be coming from a black box with blue connecting plugs.

The beep sounds like a slow alarm clock... beep..(1 second of silence)..beep..(1 second of silence)..beep.. and so on in this fashion. It beeps about 5 times, then stops for about 5 seconds, then beeps again in the same pattern. It does this about 3 times before it silences for a long time.

I suspect the beep is coming back periodically as the truck sits because I've heard it beeping in the middle of the night, plus my battery is no longer holding a charge, so I think it's running it down.

Any ideas as to what this is?

Thanks guys

Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Bronkenstein
Junior User
It could be your airbag sensor. If i remember correctly if the bulb was pulled or blown for the airbag light in the dash it would beep instead of flash.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Roger T. Pipe
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkenstein
It could be your airbag sensor. If i remember correctly if the bulb was pulled or blown for the airbag light in the dash it would beep instead of flash.
100% correct on the airbag light being blown. If its removed or blown out, it'll beep instead so as to alert the driver. I believe this will also happen if the CEL is blown too, but I'm not sure.
Roger

Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
76250_4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my truck does this if i turn my ignition between the run and on position (like in between the two when i shut it off) kinda wonderd what it was but i believed it was because of my worn out key switch. My airbag light works btw

Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM
JessieDM
Junior User
Hmmm..

My airbag light works. I know this because after my ECM went out, I replaced it with a new ECM and now all it does is blink constantly. It still blinks.

The only time I hear the beeping is when I shut the truck off.

I guess this is a moot point because I just sold the truck yesterday , but for the sake of diagnosis, I'll still post about it.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Wcheckman
New User
Got same problem, mines a 94 f150

Recently a black box started beeping under driver side dash only when truck is off. My air bag light flash and is fine. Does anyone have anything else on how to stop it , can I disconnect the box or will it mess with air bags, driver bag hasn't worked in couple year, so not worried if they won't work.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Wcheckman
New User
Also it is 5.0 if that matters

Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Only when the key switch is off you say? The airbag module should only squawk at you with the key ON. Unless it failed or something.

Where exactly is this black box? The only box I know of that is capable of making noise deliberately is the airbag diagnostic monitor, but that's a BLUE box. At least it's blue on every older Ford that I've seen, before they started using the newer data recorder type.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Wcheckman
New User
Thanks but figured it out, I didn't know the air bag light gave off a code too. It says I have code 32 -Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open. You wouldn't know how to fix that would ya? I don't get why it's just now started beeping, driver side air bag never worked lol, had it checked out over 4-5 years ago cause cruise cont and horns didn't work and we were told it was the airbag and it wouldn't go off if in a wreak,and we never got it fixed. my truck never been in a wreak luckily. Family owned since 94. Is there way to clear code?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
ChristopherN
Elder User
When you say beep, is it the same tone as the one you get when the truck starts? It sounds like it could be that. That's a black box. I disconnected mine since the beep is so annoying.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Wcheckman
New User
No , it's a black box with green front, bout twice as big a black box for door tones, which is behind black and green box. I fixed it tho, just unplugged the air bag module and no more beeping but airbag light stays on when key on but it all good

Old 03-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Davie J.
Junior User
Speaking of "black boxes", I just removed the dash from my 1987 F250 and I don't know what half of the stuff under there is. In particular, there is a black box to the right of the pedal structure that says "8 Cylinder Black Box" and is preceeded by a long alpha-numeric chain. I have read the posts about a recording device that can be read but this doesn't seem like it would be one of those. Plus, I don't know if they had that stuff in 1987. I'd like to remove anything under there that isn't necessary for the operation of my newly rebuilt, non-computer/emmissions-control engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:50 PM
ponypower
New User
beeping

Just now my F150 started this beeping. When I turn the key off the loud beeping starts. 5 times, quits then beeps 5 more times...in total 5 series of 5 beeps. Now--the airbag warning bulb is not burned out--that still flashes. It has flashed off and on for 3 years now. If I shut the truck off and then restart it the flashing usually quits. The flashing was still there this morning--I wasn't going far so I just left it flashing.

The beeping....is not the same warning beep I would get from the truck otherwise--open door, lights left on, seat belt undone--none of those things. This truck buzzes, not beeps--and in truth the warning buzzer hasn't worked in years.

I am scrapping the truck shortly--after I take it to town once more to have the hitch cut off it--I would just like to know for sure what the beep is trying to tell me before I drive it again.

There was an odd smell in the cab this morning--not sure it was quite the same as the smell another similar truck had when the alternator caught fire....but maybe? A "hot" smell--chemical or perhaps melting plastic? Is there anything that would beep a warning if it started to burn? ?

Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 PM
jordannoble77
New User
Curious

I have a 95 Ford ecoline and it's beeping continuously. I checked the doors and I am wearing my seatbelt. What could this be?

Old 04-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Jprmckay
New User
Answer?

So? Was there ever given a definitive answer? I have same issue. 5 consecutive beeps all night and day long when ignition is off and keys removed.
Originally Posted by Wcheckman
Recently a black box started beeping under driver side dash only when truck is off. My air bag light flash and is fine. Does anyone have anything else on how to stop it , can I disconnect the box or will it mess with air bags, driver bag hasn't worked in couple year, so not worried if they won't work.

Quick Reply: Loud beeping coming from under Dash..