1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cheapest scanner to pull codes from the 7.3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cheapest scanner to pull codes from the 7.3?

Yes I am wondering what is the cheapest way to pull codes from 7.3s, and is it reliable? I dont think I need all the info that AE gives me, as I wouldnt be able to interpret it anyway, I really just want the codes and their definitions. I understand that the cheaper scanners wont pull the right codes.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

I guess AE is my only choice? SnapOn MT2500 looks like its gonna cost me almost the same, and I cant seem to find anything else that will work for diesels. Any input on this?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to say AE, but you said you didn't want "all that" in a tool. lol

Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Well what I want is to not spend $350, but it doesnt look like I have a choice. If I can get all the info that AE provides for $150, I would be happy. But, I have seen screen shots of what AE provides and it might as well be chinese. I am just trying to find out what all my options are. I guess the problem is, I dont have $350 to spend right now. Maybe one will turn up in that "FREE" thread in the Excursion forum!!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Superchip tuner that read codes. Perhaps you can find a used one for cheap. I gave mine away on here after I got the AE.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Various code readers can read OBDI codes, such as some of the Innova code readers. I have the Innova 3120 ($142 on Amazon). It will read all the normal OBDI codes on my '01 Powerstroke, and show some (limited) realtime data. It's no competition for the AE and I don't pretend that it is. I can't tell you for sure that it will show all the 'normal' codes that a Powerstroke could have (like low boost, for instance) because my truck isn't throwing codes all the time (since I got rid of the idiot Hypertech programmer).

It will NOT show you cylinder contribution and plot the nifty graphs, etc. I bought mine for basic stuff, and to use with other CAN vehicles that I will soon own.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Thanks for the info. I need to be able to use this code reader on multiple vehicles. Will the Superchips thing be VIN locked after it is used once? I assume the Innova can be used on multiple vehicles?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I know of no other scan tool that can pull the diesel specific codes and is less expensive than AE. Even if there was something out there that just pulled the codes, then it still wouldn't be very useful because knowing the codes is really only a clue as to what might be wrong. The ability to monitor live data and run diagnostic tests are what makes a scanner a true tool.

Example:
A friend stopped by a couple of weeks ago with a SES light. We pulled the codes and came up with P1247 (Turbo boost pressure low).
The chart for that code says that possible causes might be a fault in the MAP hose, the MAP sensor, EBP system, intake leaks or a bad turbo.

So, with AE, we monitored live data and verified the sensors were in range by looking at the volts and pressure readings with key on and engine off.

We physically inspected the MAP hose and looked for torn IC boots. We also visually inspected the up-pipes for signs of soot which would indicate an exhaust leak. No excessive turbo wheel play so we proceeded to monitor live data with engine running.

In this particular case, we had the bonus of viewing the Freeze Frame Data that was stored in the PCM. I hadn't ever seen this before but it sure was handy to have since it took a snap shot of several parameters at the time the fault was recorded. We noticed that vehicle speed was 38 mph and throttle position was around 70% (almost WOT) so that was a nice clue.

So, we performed several WOT runs again and notice that max boost was only about 14 psi. From previous sessions, we knew this vehicle should see max boost of at least 16.5 psi at WOT so we need to figure out what might be the cause. Since the fuel filter hadn't been changed in quite a while, we decide to try that first and that turned out to be the fix. The light went out after the filter was changed and engine has been running fine ever since.

So, without the ability to monitor live data, we might have wasted money on a MAP sensor, EBP sensor or replacement turbo. Keep in mind that the ability to read codes is only a clue and can only determines if a component is in range or out of range. Armed with that info, you then can try and figure out what is causing the fault.

EDIT: I suspect that the Excursions may have more diagnostic features built into the PCM compared to the pickups. Perhaps this is because the Excursion is really an SUV and they do have tighter federal regulations compared to pickup trucks. My friend's truck is an Excursion and that is the only time I've ever seen Freeze Frame Data displayed. I've never seen it on any of my pickup or cab and chassis trucks...

Old 02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Thanks Greg. Problem is I have an intermittent CE light on an F350 that I cant figure out. I thought it was the UVCH, but once I got inthere, both sides had the wedges in it. On the passenger side, I did the 25 cent mod. Still got the CE light. I sucked it up and gave the dealer $91 to pull the codes and got the P1273 and P1316 codes. I have a thread going on this. PaysonPSD suggested I swap the 1 to 3 solenoids and see if I get a 1271 code. Then I would know if it was the solenoid or if there is a short in the wire between it and the IDM. But, Ive no way of checking codes. The whole AE debate is now compounded by the fact that my PC laptop crashed last week, and I am now in the process of relearning computing on my wifes MacBook that she no longer needs. Boom, another problem. AE and Mac dont mix. I am just trying to fix this truck so I can put it up for sale. I just got off the phone with Innova and asked them which one of their scanners would work with a 7.3L Powerstroke. He asked me if the GVWR is over 8500 pounds, and said that none of their scanners will work if it is. I read something about this somewhere, I'll be dammed if I understand why. I asked him if he knew of any that did, he said no. I asked him if he knew who his competitors were, and he said no. I am now officially frustrated. Thanks to all for the input.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Studawg
Thanks Greg. Problem is I have an intermittent CE light on an F350 that I cant figure out. I thought it was the UVCH, but once I got inthere, both sides had the wedges in it. On the passenger side, I did the 25 cent mod. Still got the CE light. I sucked it up and gave the dealer $91 to pull the codes and got the P1273 and P1316 codes. I have a thread going on this. PaysonPSD suggested I swap the 1 to 3 solenoids and see if I get a 1271 code. Then I would know if it was the solenoid or if there is a short in the wire between it and the IDM. But, Ive no way of checking codes. The whole AE debate is now compounded by the fact that my PC laptop crashed last week, and I am now in the process of relearning computing on my wifes MacBook that she no longer needs. Boom, another problem. AE and Mac dont mix. I am just trying to fix this truck so I can put it up for sale. I just got off the phone with Innova and asked them which one of their scanners would work with a 7.3L Powerstroke. He asked me if the GVWR is over 8500 pounds, and said that none of their scanners will work if it is. I read something about this somewhere, I'll be dammed if I understand why. I asked him if he knew of any that did, he said no. I asked him if he knew who his competitors were, and he said no. I am now officially frustrated. Thanks to all for the input.

Oh, ok. Well, swapping solenoids won't really help you any since you wont' be able to re-run for codes. What you can do it measure the resistance from the IDM to injector #3 and back and see if it's in range. I will attach the tech bulletin that explains how to do that. Do you know how to get to the IDM connector? You have to drop the left front inner wheel liner to access. When you get in there, check the IDM for signs of water intrusion as well. Sometimes they can get water inside and damage the module.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
IDM_Module_Replacement.pdf (710.5 KB, 706 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Scangauge II - $129 last time I looked. Displays 4 parameters at a time, MOST of the ones AE does. And reads/clears codes.

Aeroforce Scangauge - $250. Does almost everything AE does, but is a standard-size gauge. Also has 'aux' inputs for things like pyro and fuel pressure.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check out actron.com

Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Oh, ok. Well, swapping solenoids won't really help you any since you wont' be able to re-run for codes. What you can do it measure the resistance from the IDM to injector #3 and back and see if it's in range. I will attach the tech bulletin that explains how to do that. Do you know how to get to the IDM connector? You have to drop the left front inner wheel liner to access. When you get in there, check the IDM for signs of water intrusion as well. Sometimes they can get water inside and damage the module.
Thanks Greg, this is exactly what Im gonna do next. The mechanic who tested this checked the harness to the idm and said it indicated a possible internal idm failure. Im thinking I need a new idm.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Thanks Jason and Payson, im looking in to Actron. If I can fix this truck and sell it, I might have the money to pony up for AE. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
I have just performed these tests and want to post the results in my original thread on the subject. "Intermittent check engine light..." Im looking for your help here Greg! Thanks

Quick Reply: Cheapest scanner to pull codes from the 7.3?