1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy took the gloves off. How will ford respond?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented I think 2010 Focus and it was lovely car making 35 mpg, but noise was the issue.
But than those cars sell for $15k new. What you can say?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
I rented I think 2010 Focus and it was lovely car making 35 mpg, but noise was the issue.
But than those cars sell for $15k new. What you can say?
My wifes equinox sounds and feels like your getting pulled down the road riding on a crazy carpet.

Clearly people don't seem to put ride quality and noise as a major first when selecting a vehicle.

From what I hear, ford is planning on letting other companies have the SUV market, and focusing on the trucks and cars. I think this will be very hard on other companies.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
the new world Focus is easily as good if not better then anything it competes against. in terms of quality/features and drivability.

the new world Escape is just around the bend and that to is a class leader.

and i def do NOT agree that a 2000 is of better quality then a 2012 SD.. compare then side by side..

the 2012 is worlds better in every aspect. the only thing i prefer from the pre-2005 trucks is the leaf spring front. but thats because im old school and love its function/simplicity/looks

Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Benny76
Tuned
My wifes Corolla is like that. South Texas chip stone roads at 70 literally make my head hurt after about an hour of riding. We take my truck everywhere. Sure it gets 35 miles to the gallon, but I save money not buying a lot of other junk that many other people buy. So I guess my "junk" is fuel. I don't mind. I think Ford should run with that little Eco boost. Get the kinks worked out and put it in everything. They got rid of the Excursion for a XL Expedition which is much lighter duty than the Excursion. If you want a real heavy duty SUV you're pretty much limited to a 1 ton truck with a topper now.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Benny76
Tuned
Originally Posted by Crete
Only in CA.

Again only in CA.

Hazmat and passenger require a CDL. Tanker doesn't.
That's crazy. I have the X endorsement here in Texas that encompasses the Tanker with the HazMat. But Tanker is also a seperate endoresment on a CDL in Texas. If you don't have HazMat then you still need a T endorsement for tanks, but then the only real thing you can transport in that tank is Potable Water without the HazMat. I can't believe that you can pull or drive a tanker in CA and not need a CDL with an endorsement. They can be very dangerous and different to drive than any other trailer or truck. We even just started a seperate School Bus endorsement aside from a Passenger endorsement. You cannot operate a School Bus anymore unless you have the S endorsement with the P endorsement. Regular Metro buses can operate under the P endorsement only.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by parkland
My wifes equinox sounds and feels like your getting pulled down the road riding on a crazy carpet.

Clearly people don't seem to put ride quality and noise as a major first when selecting a vehicle.

From what I hear, ford is planning on letting other companies have the SUV market, and focusing on the trucks and cars. I think this will be very hard on other companies.
I buy Mercedes only for my family for over a decade. Did share ski driving with my friend having Honda Accord. He was stunned how my 12 years old Mercedes with 280k on odometer is quieter than his pretty new Honda. My Mercedes is a diesel btw.
Than when you take young driver installing 2000W stereo in his compact car, why would he worry about the car noise?

Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Crete
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Benny76
That's crazy. I have the X endorsement here in Texas that encompasses the Tanker with the HazMat. But Tanker is also a seperate endoresment on a CDL in Texas. If you don't have HazMat then you still need a T endorsement for tanks,
Difference is you only need a tank endorsemnt if you have a CDL and the tank is over 119 gallons.

but then the only real thing you can transport in that tank is Potable Water without the HazMat.
That's nonsense. You can haul milk, sludge, manure, fertilizer, herbicide........I could go on.

I can't believe that you can pull or drive a tanker in CA and not need a CDL with an endorsement. They can be very dangerous and different to drive than any other trailer or truck.
The size of tanks that would be on otherwise non CDL truck isn't dangerous.

We even just started a seperate School Bus endorsement aside from a Passenger endorsement. You cannot operate a School Bus anymore unless you have the S endorsement with the P endorsement. Regular Metro buses can operate under the P endorsement only.
That isn't anything recent.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:24 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
We're getting way off topic here folks. Let's get back to the Chevy commercial.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
I buy Mercedes only for my family for over a decade. Did share ski driving with my friend having Honda Accord. He was stunned how my 12 years old Mercedes with 280k on odometer is quieter than his pretty new Honda. My Mercedes is a diesel btw.
Than when you take young driver installing 2000W stereo in his compact car, why would he worry about the car noise?
Yeah i mentioned in another thread that we purchased a 1996 chev caprice classic. It is simple, rides better than the equinox, gets better mileage, and way cheaper parts, tires and easier to service.

Even when the caprice was brand new, I doubt it came anywhere close to the price of a loaded equinox.

The thing with new SUV's, is that they look sporty, even rugged, and they're made out to be so. However, they are nothing but car chassis with different styling, that get terrible mileage and are not even in the remote ball park of being a truck, although many people will actually call their SUV's trucks.

Some SUV's might be considered a truck, like a ford explorer, but most newer ones are cars.
For EG, the equinox sport steals its chassis from a cadillac AWD car.

I think it's a real pity that the ford ranger is going away. There was a lot of potential there in sales, that ford decided to not bother with. I know I blabbed about the ranger before, but heres a recap of what they could have done to make it work:

1. "RAPTOR" ranger, with 3.5 v6 ecoboost.

2. 4 Door crew cab option.

3. update style to match new f150's.

4. Diesel option. For mileage, not power.

They say the new ranger model available overseas, is too close in size to the f150. So build off the current model?!?!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Benny76
Tuned
You never specified the 119 gallon rule which is where my confusion came from. 119 gallons is nothing, we are carrying more than that in grey water and black water in our campers so certainly you wouldn't need a T for that. However, you do state that over 119 gallons you need a tanker cert ONLY if you have a CDL? That makes no sense. Typically you would need to get the CDL then the additional endorsement for the material and the attachment for which you are transporting.

It's not nonsense I assure you. TCEQ and TXDOT assume all of which you just mentioned are HAZMAT in the right quantities except milk. If you need a tank to transport it it's probably over that quantity. Industrial OR sanitary waste sludge contains high levels of irons and bacterias that are harmful, fertilizers can be used for making bombs and contain high phosphate concentrations that they say affect ground water and plant growth. A HAZMAT or AG exemption is required. But Manure in a tanker? Ok, guess the cows were getting their extra fiber or you're really watering it down. I can see that. But it's actually very serious if you have a CDL or you're operating illegally without one. With the current terror threats of this country YOU BETTER make sure you're not hauling HAZMAT without the proper endorsement or illegally. It's a felony and ignorance of the law is no excuse to the judge. That's why a background check is required for the HazMat (X if you already have tanker).

The size of tanks that would be on otherwise non CDL truck isn't dangerous.
Yes, ok. I understand now. But that wasn't specified.

As far as the S endorsement it's fairly recent (within past 7 years here or so). Since the CDL has been around forever the last 7 years would be considered "recent" to me however I see you disagree. That's ok and all I have to say on the subject. But when you're posting advice to help people about what they need to transport a tank or HazMat I feel it should be accurate. I'm unsubscribing from this now so say what you want.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Crete
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, you do state that over 119 gallons you need a tanker cert ONLY if you NEED a CDL? That makes no sense.
What part of that doesn't make sense?

It's not nonsense I assure you. TCEQ and TXDOT assume all of which you just mentioned are HAZMAT in the right quantities except milk. If you need a tank to transport it it's probably over that quantity . Industrial OR sanitary waste sludge contains high levels of irons and bacterias that are harmful, fertilizers can be used for making bombs and contain high phosphate concentrations that they say affect ground water and plant growth. But Manure in a tanker? Ok, guess the cows were getting their extra fiber or you're really watering it down. I can see that. But it's actually very serious if you have a CDL or you're operating illegally without one. With the current terror threats of this country YOU BETTER make sure you're not hauling HAZMAT without the proper endorsement or illegally. It's a felony and ignorance of the law is no excuse to the judge. That's why a background check is required for the HazMat (X if you already have tanker).
Now you are not making sense.

Nothing I listed is hazmat except maybe herbicide if straight. Herbicide isn't when hot mixed I know that.

There is more to it then what you think is dangerous.

As far as the S endorsement it's fairly recent (within past 7 years here or so). Since the CDL has been around forever the last 7 years would be considered "recent" to me however I see you disagree. That's ok and all I have to say on the subject. But when you're posting advice to help people about what they need to transport a tank or HazMat I feel it should be accurate.
S has been around as long as the CDL program.

I'm unsubscribing from this now so say what you want.
Post crap info and then run away.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:09 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
The topic at hand has absolutely nothing to do with CDLs and my attempt to get back on topic above was ignored. This one is closed.