Sponsored by:

300 inline 6 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM
fordcope82
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 inline 6 diesel

Heres a hell of an idea. I think so anyhow. The old 300 inline six was indestructible. So why not pull out the drawing board switch the 300 inline over to diesel, add a turbo and intercooler?Sounds good to me. Worried about emissions? Put the urea to her or hell build it to run on bio fuel. Ive owned a few fords and turned enough wrenches, basically because I was brainwashed by my elder family members. I say its time for these auto companies to stop building complex unreliable crap. "keep it simple stupid"

Old 02-07-2012, 11:29 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perkins 354 6cyl , Cummins 5.9 !
these are real close to the ford 300 6cyl gas !

Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM
fordcope82
New User
Originally Posted by cj06
Perkins 354 6cyl , Cummins 5.9 !
these are real close to the ford 300 6cyl gas !
Yes and ford messes around w V8 diesels. Compare cat and cummin 6 cyl diesels to detroit V8. You tell me what you would rather have

Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
ANY 6CYL DIESEL , thank you !

Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
That would be AWESOME!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Great idea, I would by one!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Originally Posted by fordcope82
Yes and ford messes around w V8 diesels. Compare cat and cummin 6 cyl diesels to detroit V8. You tell me what you would rather have
cat and cummins make V design diesels also.
and Cat sells a hell of a lot more V design engines than they do inline 6 engines.
the biggest selling mercedes diesels are the V designs also.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 AM
sniperrr
New User
why can't ford get the Cummins and an Allison tranny?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
fordcope82
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
cat and cummins make V design diesels also.
and Cat sells a hell of a lot more V design engines than they do inline 6 engines.
the biggest selling mercedes diesels are the V designs also.
I stand corrected I suppose. I grew up farmin w John Deere's. Ive spent the last 5 years operating heavy excavating equipment mostly cat and john deere. Almost every different piece of excavating iron you can imagine besides a crane. They all had inline 6 diesel engines. I have drove a couple tandem dumps w V8 cats and also operated a small crane for a couples hrs. The crane had a small detroit v8 which later blew up. I will take an inline 6 diesel over a V8 diesel anyday. I would love to get my hands on a ford pickup with a cummins inline engine.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
fordcope82
New User
I lied not all the excavating equipment had inline 6. Ive ran terex pans w dual detroit v8s. They didnt have enough power to get out of there own way and very unreliable. I also drove terex offroad dumps w detroit v8s. The cats and deere offroads w inline 6's will do circles around the v8s. I also drove brand new deere offroads with i believe Mercedes inline 6 diesel. Very very smooth power and lots of it. Also seemed reliable. I could be wrong they mighta been V8s.

We are talking about pick up trucks tho. My thoughts are the 6 liter was junk. Ive seen on the web some of the fords w 6.0 are being converted to cummins 5.9. Hmm.. I dont know much about 6.4L other than they werent made very long. My work purchased a F550 with fords new 6.7 v8 diesel. Maybe it will convince me that v8 diesels can hang with inline 6 cylinder engines.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 AM
gengine
Senior User
I would have to go with any inline six over a v block. However, I personally would stay away from a Detroit diesel. We've rebuilt the two detroit's at work a couple times, and all they do is run generators. A couple years ago we pulled out a cat 3406 from an old 980. When we pulled it out the hour meter said 15 thousand some hours. It now has over 19,000 hours and still going strong. The company got that 980 with 5000 ish hours, and never a rebuild in it's life. If my power stroke ever blows, I think I would put in to old 12v cummins I have for a farm truck.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A diesel powered Ford 300, interesting idea Though I'm not sure the bottom end could hold up to the compression. I'm sure headstuds will take care of the top-end.
We are talking about pick up trucks tho. My thoughts are the 6 liter was junk. Ive seen on the web some of the fords w 6.0 are being converted to cummins 5.9. Hmm.. I dont know much about 6.4L other than they werent made very long. My work purchased a F550 with fords new 6.7 v8 diesel. Maybe it will convince me that v8 diesels can hang with inline 6 cylinder engines.
And you've been spending too much time around V10 owners if you believe the 6.0L is a pile of junk. When you understand (A) the EPA mandates it had to meet and (B) the increased power compared to the 7.3L I think you'll realize there are some issues you need to address. Yes, it cost more to maintain a 6.0L compared to a V10 or even the 7.3L...but show me a stock of either of those engines that will get the same mileage & horsepower. Ain't going to happen. As far as the EGR issues, get used to it...they're here to stay and it ain't getting any better. Cummins had issues with their EGR system as well...and Cat; well they left the market instead of trying to meet the newer standards. Detriot was never able to meet any of them once the Tier emissions came out. Why do you think Mercedes engines showed & Series-60 engines disappeared so quickly? The biggest thing that hurt the 6.0L was it was rushed out there to the dealerships without getting enough tech trained to troubleshoot these engines when the early problems started to appear. Thus, they ended up throwing parts at them instead of fixing the problem right the first time.
The reason Ford went with the V8 design 25+ years ago was for the wider powerband. That's also why large diesel engines are V-designed....the size used in tug boats, locomotives, stationary/back-up generators to name a couple of applications.
Originally Posted by sniperrr
why can't ford get the Cummins and an Allison tranny?
I'll take my 5R110 Torqueshift over an Allison clone anyday of the week. Your kidding yourself if you think that "Allison" in the GMC/Chevy is a true Allison slushbox....it's a few parts and name badge to sell the truck.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
fordcope82
New User
Originally Posted by zhilton
A diesel powered Ford 300, interesting idea Though I'm not sure the bottom end could hold up to the compression. I'm sure headstuds will take care of the top-end.And you've been spending too much time around V10 owners if you believe the 6.0L is a pile of junk. When you understand (A) the EPA mandates it had to meet and (B) the increased power compared to the 7.3L I think you'll realize there are some issues you need to address. Yes, it cost more to maintain a 6.0L compared to a V10 or even the 7.3L...but show me a stock of either of those engines that will get the same mileage & horsepower. Ain't going to happen. As far as the EGR issues, get used to it...they're here to stay and it ain't getting any better. Cummins had issues with their EGR system as well...and Cat; well they left the market instead of trying to meet the newer standards. Detriot was never able to meet any of them once the Tier emissions came out. Why do you think Mercedes engines showed & Series-60 engines disappeared so quickly? The biggest thing that hurt the 6.0L was it was rushed out there to the dealerships without getting enough tech trained to troubleshoot these engines when the early problems started to appear. Thus, they ended up throwing parts at them instead of fixing the problem right the first time.The reason Ford went with the V8 design 25+ years ago was for the wider powerband. That's also why large diesel engines are V-designed....the size used in tug boats, locomotives, stationary/back-up generators to name a couple of applications.I'll take my 5R110 Torqueshift over an Allison clone anyday of the week. Your kidding yourself if you think that "Allison" in the GMC/Chevy is a true Allison slushbox....it's a few parts and name badge to sell the truck.
Good info. I guess I might be happier with a horse and buggy. No politics and engineers that way. A vet might have more time in education but I bet they still cost less to pay vs. a mechanic that has to have a college education to fix a new diesel engine.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Quartlow
Junior User
.and Cat; well they left the market instead of trying to meet the newer standards.
Hate to burst your bubble, but Cat is back. The new International Maxx Force is a cat.

Detriot was never able to meet any of them once the Tier emissions came out.
I would love to see the citation on that. DD is still available.

Why do you think Mercedes engines showed & Series-60 engines disappeared so quickly?
Freightliner, Who is now part of Mercedes which is why they now run Mercedes engines. Which they should stick to cars because their truck engines, well they suck.

Given equal HP and cubic inches an inline six will out pull a v-8 any day of the week.

Growing up I worked at a feed mill that had a mixture of 1 tons. 300/6 ford 292/6 GM, 460 fords and and 454 GM's We routinely put 3 or 4 tons on these poor old girls. Leaving town we had a huge hill. I'm talking semis had to stop at the top and had 15MPH speed limit coming down. The v-8s couldn't catch them 6's from a dead stop at the bottom.

Yes the in lines have a narrow power band, why do you think the newer trucks had 5 and 6 speeds. You want to race around town, that V8is fine, when it comes time to work I'll take a 6

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Quartlow

Given equal HP and cubic inches an inline six will out pull a v-8 any day of the week.

Go grab a 2012 dodge and a 2012 ford and try it out, for real!

Quick Reply: 300 inline 6 diesel