Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Senior User

Mattie2294 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1952 Ford F-3 Build

Everyone seems to be so anxiously awaiting a build thread for my 1952 Ford F-3 and well here it is

I spend the first 2 weeks researching and pumping out numbers and parts to come up with an estimate for how much this build really was going to set me back. Now that thatís finished it is time for the fun to begin. [/size][/font]
In my research and planning I have decided what I ultimately want to do with this vehicle. That is to try and keep what I can original. Yet giving this truck a little modern spin, by apply modern white pearl paint, and giving the engine a little shine. I want to add:

-New 4.11 gear ratio for the rear diff.
-New Edelbrock Heads
-New Edelbrock 4 Barrel Carb. with manual adjustment to ensure engine doesnít get to much fuel
-New Edelbrock intake adapter
-New Edelbrock air filter

This will give the engine that show piece kind of look yet keeping the original engine and drive tran. throughout the truck. This is not suppose to give me a drag racer because this is a 1 ton and thatís not what Iím going for. I ultimately want a weekend cruiser with the old school kind of look to it

Below are the pictures of the truck as I have purchased it. Solid cab, floors, and front end. Box, tailgate and rear fenders are in need of repair. Might try to even find a better set of them if possible. Though finding F-3 parts turns out to be quite the task. It has a running driving moving Flat Head V8 that seems to run really strong. Interior lights still work, as well as the transmission brake.

Click the image to open in full size.

I am going to begin this build kind of in a backwards kind of way. Iím going to get the engine running with all the performance parts the way I would like it to then begin the tear down to the frame to do my frame up restoration. Thereís a few things I need to attend to first and that is the leaking gas tank, the brakes (no brakes) and the electrical to see if the headlight, tail light, and cab lighting are still the correct wiring configuration. Dash lights still work so Iím hoping with new assemblies and wiring harnesses the rest will be the same. Then I finally will know what really I have with this truck before I start spending mass amounts of money on it.

Iíll try and keep up with everything I do on this build. Follow if youíd like. Everyoneís input will be greatly appreciated since I am fairly new to this sort of project and am bound to run into alot of problems along the way.
Wish me luck..
Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Subscribed. Should be interesting to see your progress.

Let me know what parts you may need. I have a few F2-F3 specific parts, as well as many other 51-52 related parts, including Extra Cab deluxe specific parts (like for your doors).
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Subscribed. Should be interesting to see your progress.

Let me know what parts you may need. I have a few F2-F3 specific parts, as well as many other 51-52 related parts, including Extra Cab deluxe specific parts (like for your doors).

Definetly should be interesting for sure. Hope to get a good start on it here in the next few weeks.

And sounds good will def. let you know if I need anything thanks.

Enjoy.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Also subscribing. I look forward to seeing your progress.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Also subscribing. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Hopefully everyone should see some progress sooner then later!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
I'm here to follow along as well.

May I suggest going through the brakes as you clean the engine up and fix the lights. Than just drive the tires off her for a while and let her tell ya what she wants.
If the steering is in good shape than pump some grease in every time ya move it and it should loosen up. With the large steering wheel and no load these trucks steer pretty easy if all is well with it.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
I'm here to follow along as well.

May I suggest going through the brakes as you clean the engine up and fix the lights. Than just drive the tires off her for a while and let her tell ya what she wants.
If the steering is in good shape than pump some grease in every time ya move it and it should loosen up. With the steering wheel and no load these trucks steer pretty easy if all is well with it.
Thats the first and foremost after I get the new tank in and installed I need to bleed the lines and get them all cleaned up and working. Thanks for the advice on the wheel will for sure try that out.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie2294 View Post
Thats the first and foremost after I get the new tank in and installed I need to bleed the lines and get them all cleaned up and working. Thanks for the advice on the wheel will for sure try that out.
I meant large Steering Wheel. I fixed it. I think you understood anyway

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Senior User

59JEEPSTANG is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking forward to following this. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
1996 F250 Powerstroke
And my Jeeps....
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Senior User

jamesadams is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gonna get back to mine after a bathroom remodel.i am kinda in the same boat as you.mine shows 73000 miles,seems to run well.planning a homemade wiring harness just to start and charge for now. Then the brakes.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Senior User

Gas Tank

Well last night I decided to tackle the gas tank. I started by undoing the fuel line from the tank below the cab. (PB blastered them 2 days ago to lossen up any corrosion or rust that might be holding them in place) The fitting broke lose like nothing. Then I proceeded to pull the tank from the cab lossening the two cab bolts and also the clamps holding the tank filler pipe in place. Once those where removed I pulled the tank wretched off the fuel line fitting from the tank. Well not really to my surprise it was rusted inside and no wonder it was leaking..

The origonal fitting.

From what I have been told those fitting are obselete because there not allowed to be used anymore. This is because of the fuel shut off valve which apparently fuel can escape and could ignite from exhaust fumes.. Either way I couldnt find one so I went to my local nut and bolt place in search of a fitting. They had exactly what I needed perfect bolt pattern and everything.

The new fitting.

Where Fitting goes (bottom of tank)

Tank

I then today used a extentable flash light to flash in light inside the tank just to see if any rust could be seen. The tank definetly looked bad inside and well rather then take the risk, I'm doing a frame up rebuild I priced out a new tank set up complete with rubbers and float and the whole works. Going to pick it all up this weekend and hopefully get it all back together.

Bleeding the brakes is next on the list ! Sorry for the boring stuff but I'm sure there will be alot of stuff to bore you before I get to the fun flashy stuff.

Heres a few snap shots of the inside of the cab, definetly in great shape quite impressed actually!!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesadams View Post
Gonna get back to mine after a bathroom remodel.i am kinda in the same boat as you.mine shows 73000 miles,seems to run well.planning a homemade wiring harness just to start and charge for now. Then the brakes.
Yeah I have had mine for about 3 weeks now at most. Been alot of planning finally starting to fix the minor things here and there so I can take it for a real good ride and see what I have to work with. My wiring seems to be not to bad thus far anyway we will see as I get more into it. Fuel tank is down, brakes then then big engine part order. Good luck to you and your build!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59JEEPSTANG View Post
Looking forward to following this. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
No problem. Seems to be the best way to go about a build now adays so many people with so many resources there is no problem you and everyone else can't help with ! Thanks for following.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
I meant large Steering Wheel. I fixed it. I think you understood anyway
Definetly did thanks for the advice.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
The same fitting with the valve was available at my local NAPA store.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 PM