1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 Ford F-3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
There's a dual filament bulb available with offset tabs and even tabs. I have a pair in my 52. I bought a pair of each at a local vintage Ford parts store.

EDIT: Went out to the Panel and double checked. Here you go. 6v dual filament bulb with even tabs. I'm sure that C&G Early Ford Parts near you has or can get you these bulbs.

Plugging in the 6V21/3CP in Google crossreferences the bulb to a 1154.

SECOND EDIT: Upon further search, I found a 1158-6V on C&G's website, https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlv...1&g=194&t=1226. Searching for 1158 6V in Google came up with this source, 1158 6V 21CP 3CP CANDLEPOWER-INCORPORATED - 1158/6V/21CP/3CP CANDLEPOWER-INCORPORATED - incandescent - miniature lamp light bulb lamp - donsbulbs - light bulbs lamps valve valves tube tubes. As you can see in the schematic of the bulb at the link, the bulb pins are even. This style is non-index. When looking for an even pin bulb, you want to stay away from offset or index in the description. Hope this helps.

Did some research myself you can buy the whole assembly wired an ready to go with the pigtails and signal and parking lights all build into the originals for 35 dollars a price from my local ford parts store . Going to pick up a set this weekend hopefully ! Thanks for all this information on the lights I definetly use enough to get me going ! One thing down a million to go .. Haha thanks again

Old 02-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Ford Store .

Well today was a day to start getting some of these parts purchased and getting this thing running the way I want it to run before I tear it apart.

Purchased for the fuel system:
- gas tank

- anti sqweek rubbers
- filler hose fitting

- cab rubber fitting

- tank through floor rubber

- stainless steel gas cap

- 2 clamps

Get it all home and realize I forgot one major part the sending unit, including float. So I decided why not take a look at the one in my old tank before going out and buying a new one. Of course that turned out to be just a learning experience and in the end I will have to wait tell friday to go pick up a new sending unit. As well as the brass fitting I got for the fuel line to tank is the wrong bolt pattern so tomorrow im taking the tank in. In search of a new fitting.

Old float

Also as Panel Man had shown me I was able to get a set of the signal/parking lamps. The aftermarket origonal ones come wired for signals and everything , Also the guy threw in a set of duel filament bulbs for my 6V setup, they look awesome thanks for the heads up glad I didnt purchase some other kind of signals first these will fit in perfectly.

Lastly I bought the most important piece to my build. My bible and my BEST FRIEND for the next how ever many months and or years. My ford shop manuel a re-print of the origonal pretty cool looking origonal peice.

Well thats all I have for now next is to get the final pieces to my tank set up and get those brakes blead and ready to rock next weekend. I know the pictures are big and there are alot of them and maybe I say way to much detail and what not. So for those who this interests thats awesome because this is not only for everyone I want to beable to use all this to go back and figure out what I did and what I need to do and well it interests me no matter if its a wire from an old ford or the Flat head its self. Enjoy those who like, those who don't sorry for wasting your time.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Mattie

Just a bit of learning from my experience. The fuel tank you replaced undoubtedly shared the rust and crud with the fuel line and fuel pump. You'll want to avoid my error and check the line / pump as well. My line was sneaky - it allowed the truck to idle strong and even run down the road somewhat - only to clog periodically - stalling the truck and causing the dopey owner (that would be me) to wonder about all kinds of causes. It was crud in the line - duh! I did make all kinds of new friends who towed or pushed my sorry fenders back home, so it was a lose-win.

DW

Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like the light bulbs that you got are indexed (has offset pins). Open up your park lamp assemblies to make sure the bulb will fit. I'm not sure if the reproduction park lamps are just like the originals having the non-indexed sockets for a non-indexed bulb. The repros may have the new indexed sockets already installed. I'd be curious to know.

As far as the fuel tank, you may want to coat it on the inside to protect it from future rust and wear. You may as well do it now while it's out.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Mattie

Just a bit of learning from my experience. The fuel tank you replaced undoubtedly shared the rust and crud with the fuel line and fuel pump. You'll want to avoid my error and check the line / pump as well. My line was sneaky - it allowed the truck to idle strong and even run down the road somewhat - only to clog periodically - stalling the truck and causing the dopey owner (that would be me) to wonder about all kinds of causes. It was crud in the line - duh! I did make all kinds of new friends who towed or pushed my sorry fenders back home, so it was a lose-win.

DW
Ahead of you , got the new fuel like run already as for the fuel pump that I might have to look into. Thanks for the advice !

Old 02-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Looks like the light bulbs that you got are indexed (has offset pins). Open up your park lamp assemblies to make sure the bulb will fit. I'm not sure if the reproduction park lamps are just like the originals having the non-indexed sockets for a non-indexed bulb. The repros may have the new indexed sockets already installed. I'd be curious to know.

As far as the fuel tank, you may want to coat it on the inside to protect it from future rust and wear. You may as well do it now while it's out.
I will def take a look for you tomorrow when I get home they are made for the reproduction lights so I'm assuming they must have new indexed slots but I'll def check it out for you!

Yeah I was thinking the same might pick up some stuff to do it this coming weekend , as well as the sending unit and float I forget !

Thanks for the advice

Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
You forgot to thank me?

See post #24

Old 02-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
You forgot to thank me?

See post #24
My thanks was to you and panel mans combined efforts ! Haja sorry for the mom formal thankyou . Thanks for the advice ! haha

Old 02-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Mattie2294
My thanks was to you and panel mans combined efforts ! Haja sorry for the mom formal thankyou . Thanks for the advice ! haha
This is what happens when I got nothing better to do! Too cold out!
And I am really just kidding around.. Really Ilya is your help there. I won't take that away from him! Either way though, glad you got the help!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
This is what happens when I got nothing better to do! Too cold out!
And I am really just kidding around.. Really Ilya is your help there. I won't take that away from him! Either way though, glad you got the help!
Haha yeah I see I see . So I see you have an f3 your doing up as well . Have you lowered it ? It looks lower in the pictures . And I was thinking of lowering mine . And looking at getting some aftermarket 8 bolt rims that would give me a little more width

Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Haha yeah I see I see . So I see you have an f3 your doing up as well . Have you lowered it ? It looks lower in the pictures . And I was thinking of lowering mine . And looking at getting some aftermarket 8 bolt rims that would give me a little more width
Yes mine is lowered, I am using the F3 to F1 mix...So it's 1/2 ton running gear under the F3 frame. using F1 fenders front and rear.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
Yes mine is lowered, I am using the F3 to F1 mix...So it's 1/2 ton running gear under the F3 frame. using F1 fenders front and rear.
Really eh. How do the fenders even fit you must have to do some modifications for sure I would think anyways? . And how did you end up lowering your set up ??

Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Really eh. How do the fenders even fit you must have to do some modifications for sure I would think anyways? . And how did you end up lowering your set up ??
I have a Jag IFS up front,welded in, have rear springs/shackles from a 1989 Dodge Dakota, springs mounted under an 8.8 rear axle from a Ford Explorer.
It's been some head scratching and some fabrication, but nothing big.
Actually the F1 fenders will fit fine. The rears are wider and I had to buy wheel spacers for now or forever. But so far so good. it will seem wide to the real f1 guys but it's not freaky or odd like an AMC Pacer, but a little different and fun!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
I have a Jag IFS up front,welded in, have rear springs/shackles from a 1989 Dodge Dakota, springs mounted under an 8.8 rear axle from a Ford Explorer.
Actually the F1 fenders will fit fine. The rears are wider and I had to buy wheel spacers for now or forever. But so far so good. it will seem wide to the real f1 guys but it's not freaky or odd like an AMC Pacer, but a little different and fun!
Okay so let's just throw this out there for everyone . What are te chances I can get the f1 box to fit on my f3 truck . I'll have to shorten the frame , then from there can I use the f1 running boards and make it all work or what issues would I run into ?!? And for front fenders your saying the f1 front fenders will fit ? Or what does anyone know ?!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Mattie2294
Senior User
What I'm saying is go with f1 front fenders rear fenders running boards an box what am I going to run into shorten the frame or is there other major issues ??

Quick Reply: 1952 Ford F-3 Build