Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Senior User

Mattie2294 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
The same fitting with the valve was available at my local NAPA store.
Really do you think it's worth going with or does it really matter ?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
I would, just in case you need to drain the fuel tank. That valve survived 40-60 years while the truck was on the road and nothing happened.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Senior User

Quote:
I would, just in case you need to drain the fuel tank. That valve survived 40-60 years while the truck was on the road and nothing happened.
Yeah I guess I will see what my local Nappa has. thanks for the advice
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Senior User

Lights and Windsheid Wiper Help.

So I have a good question here. I have a bunch of random lights all around this truck, and I have no idea which ones are which and which ones are supposto be there. On the tail gate I have two reflectors built in which I assume should be there. Then I have two sets of rear tail lights is one set the signal lights (or was there no signal lights) and if so which ones.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then when we go to the head lights I have two on the fender and then the two headlights and two lights or maybe reflectors built into the grill or beside the grill. Which are signals, are there any??

Then I have windsheild wipers but how on earth are they supposto be engaged is there a little switch hiding somewhere or a lever or what?!?!

Thanks for your help I bet someone will know no problem.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Trucks came with one stop light in the rear on the left side. With 6 volts, the truck isn't lit up in the rear as modern cars. It was common practice to add reflectors and additional lights. The lights attached in the rear on the bedsides, the reflectors on the tailgate, the lights on top of the fenders and the reflectors below the grille are all add-ons and are not stock. These lights were added for turn signals, tail lamps and running lights. You can now do everything with the stock lights.

As I've mentioned, the stock tail lamp location is in the left rear, mounted to the backside of the rear most stake pocket. A right tail lamp was an option. There are two front park lamps, one each below the headlight. Looks like you're missing the lenses and the doors, as they're called. You can buy repro tail lights (rt and lt), as well as front park lamps, already set up with a dual contact in order to run park lamps and turn signals in the front and stop/park lights and turn signal lights in the rear.

Some guys prefer to keep and use the fender mounted lights for nostalgia. It's up to you. You'll need a Signal-Stat 900 to add and run turn signals in your truck. They're easy to install.

The windshield wiper is operated with a turn of a switch that is in the upper left corner of your instrument panel near the windshield. The windshield wiper motor should be electrical and not vacuum. If you have the switch and the wipers don't work, then it's either the switch, the motor, the wiring or a combination of either or both. A lot of times the grease inside the motor is caked up and needs to be cleaned and lubricated again.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Senior User

jamesadams is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do i suscribe to this thread on the android system ?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesadams View Post
How do i suscribe to this thread on the android system ?
Send the monthly subscription payment of $5.95 to me.

Honestly, I don't have a clue. You should be subscribed just by posting in the thread. You should get an email notification everytime a new post has been made. When you get an email, click on the link and it'll take you directly to the new post.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Trucks came with one stop light in the rear on the left side. With 6 volts, the truck isn't lit up in the rear as modern cars. It was common practice to add reflectors and additional lights. The lights attached in the rear on the bedsides, the reflectors on the tailgate, the lights on top of the fenders and the reflectors below the grille are all add-ons and are not stock. These lights were added for turn signals, tail lamps and running lights. You can now do everything with the stock lights.

As I've mentioned, the stock tail lamp location is in the left rear, mounted to the backside of the rear most stake pocket. A right tail lamp was an option. There are two front park lamps, one each below the headlight. Looks like you're missing the lenses and the doors, as they're called. You can buy repro tail lights (rt and lt), as well as front park lamps, already set up with a dual contact in order to run park lamps and turn signals in the front and stop/park lights and turn signal lights in the rear.

Some guys prefer to keep and use the fender mounted lights for nostalgia. It's up to you. You'll need a Signal-Stat 900 to add and run turn signals in your truck. They're easy to install.

The windshield wiper is operated with a turn of a switch that is in the upper left corner of your instrument panel near the windshield. The windshield wiper motor should be electrical and not vacuum. If you have the switch and the wipers don't work, then it's either the switch, the motor, the wiring or a combination of either or both. A lot of times the grease inside the motor is caked up and needs to be cleaned and lubricated again.
Perfect ! Thank you so much . By the way where did you get your front signals that tuck perfectly below your headlights gotta love those !

Also with yours did your stick with the 6 volt system like I'm not going to be doing any night driving it's just I want to keep it as origonal as I can with what I can ?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Those are factory lights my friend! it appears that yours are missing!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle View Post
Those are factory lights my friend! it appears that yours are missing!
Really wow no way. Defiantly will be picking my self up a set of those turn signals or park lamps or whatever you want to call them those are a perfect for and would work perfect for almost hidden signals . Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie2294 View Post
Really wow no way. Defiantly will be picking my self up a set of those turn signals or park lamps or whatever you want to call them those are a perfect for and would work perfect for almost hidden signals . Thanks for the heads up!!
Check really closely on your truck. You may have the housing base and could just be missing the bezel and the lens for each, which you can purchase separately to finish your assembly (see below).

If the housing base is missing on your truck, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse. I'll send you a pair for free that I took off the lower valance panel. They will need to be cleaned up and rewired. You may also want to replace the lens in them, but the housing is good. We can walk you through the re-wiring process. It's really simple and you can pick up the parts for the rewire at your local auto parts store.

They're also available in reproduction, but are priced at $34 (painted bezel) and $41 (stainless bezel) for each assembly. Lenses are available separately in amber and clear. Stock was clear. Lenses are $10 each. Bezels are also available separately. You can get a dual contact plate w/wires at your local auto parts store for about $4-6 and rewire the above assemblies yourself.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
You can get a dual contact plate w/wires at your local auto parts store for about $4-6 and rewire the above assemblies yourself.
But the stock bulb receptacle will not take a dual filament bulb with the offset tabs. Do you have a way to modify the receptacles with the other offset "slot"?

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Post Fiend

There's a dual filament bulb available with offset tabs and even tabs. I have a pair in my 52. I bought a pair of each at a local vintage Ford parts store.

EDIT: Went out to the Panel and double checked. Here you go. 6v dual filament bulb with even tabs. I'm sure that C&G Early Ford Parts near you has or can get you these bulbs.

Plugging in the 6V21/3CP in Google crossreferences the bulb to a 1154.

SECOND EDIT: Upon further search, I found a 1158-6V on C&G's website, https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlv...1&g=194&t=1226. Searching for 1158 6V in Google came up with this source, http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b...orporated.html. As you can see in the schematic of the bulb at the link, the bulb pins are even. This style is non-index. When looking for an even pin bulb, you want to stay away from offset or index in the description. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
There's a dual filament bulb available with offset tabs and even tabs. I have a pair in my 52. I bought a pair of each at a local vintage Ford parts store.

EDIT: Went out to the Panel and double checked. Here you go. 6v dual filament bulb with even tabs. I'm sure that C&G Early Ford Parts near you has or can get you these bulbs.

Plugging in the 6V21/3CP in Google crossreferences the bulb to a 1154.

SECOND EDIT: Upon further search, I found a 1158-6V on C&G's website, https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlvry40//ufolder/ShowProducts.php?c=1&s=21&g=194&t=1226. Searching for 1158 6V in Google came up with this source, http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/1158%7C6v%7C21cp%7C3cp~candlepower-incorporated.html. As you can see in the schematic of the bulb at the link, the bulb pins are even. This style is non-index. When looking for an even pin bulb, you want to stay away from offset or index in the description. Hope this helps.
WOW! Thank you! I never knew dual filament bulbs were produced with even tabs.

You just saved me a lot of time and money!!! And clinched the decision to refurbish my existing park lights.

I love this site!

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome to the FTE playhouse!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1952, 51, 52, adjustment, box, child, engine, ford, guidelines, powered, signals, steering, support, swap, truck, turn, vbulletin, york