To answer your months old post, I have not made much progress. I started an MBA program in August and scheduled some of the harder classes right at the start. I plan to make some progress during the winter break and into spring when I have some easier classes. I'm hoping I can drive it by late spring so I can use it to haul my mtn bikes. In short, I still have it, with a bed full of new parts, and fully intend to finish it up once time allows. I'll be posting pics again once some progress is happening.
I can't wait to get back on this project. My wife is pushing for it to be done by late spring / summer so we can haul our mtn bikes around. I'm planning to finish the head swap in the coming weeks as time allows. If it was stored at my house, there would be a lot of little stuff already done. It isn't far from me but sucks to have to drive somewhere to work on it.
I'm not going to let this one die...haha. I've been really busy with school. I underestimated the difficutly of grad work along with a full time job. I had much more free time as an undergrad. I was thinking of doing 67 mustang buckets in place of the bench seat but I've changed my mind. I am going to try to make 99-04 mustang seats work and end up with 03 black/red cobra seats. The cobra seats have a low front with nice big bolsters. The idea is to take base v6 seats, make the brackets and then wrap them with foam and upholstery from TMI. This is of course if I can get them to be comfy. The seating position might be to upright. I'm going to shed the interior of the wood grain in favor of the black checkered plastic peices. The woodgrain peices will stay around in case I change my mind in the future and want to go back. I think I've stated before that the interior is going to be completely sound deadened and I'll have a basic mp3/usb/cd deck in it with a few speakers. I was going to put a 10" subwoofer behind the passenger seat but I'm not sure on that now. I have a bunch of plans and a bunch of parts already purchased; I just have to find some time. I really want to get this driving before summer. Here's hoping for some free weekends....
DANG IT THERE WILL BE PROGRESS! I have one week off at the end of June before Summer II classes start. The heads are off and I'm going to try to break the rings free with msytery oil, pb blaster and whatever else I can find. If I can get the #3 rings free I'm going to bolt it back together and try to get it running again. If not, I'll have to pull the engine for a re-ring which will take more time than I have right now. I still have a huge list of work to do to it and I'm going to attempt to put a dent in that stuff. It's only a 63,000 mile motor so I am really hoping I can get the rings free.
I got some little stuff done. I fixed a brake line leak, did some under body cleaning and got some stuff ready to install. I spent a lot of time planning and outlining what I have left to do to drive it. I'll be working on getting those rings broke free in the coming weeks as time allows.
I finally fully diagnosed my compression issue. The #3 intake valve wass lightly bent. I should have some time through the fall/winter to work on it and hope to make some progress....actually I am really hoping to have it road worthy by the end of the year. If all goes as planned I'll spend the rest of the winter getting all the little stuff done. My overall plan keeps changing in the little details. Here it is right now
Reassemble engine and get running/driving.
The rest of the plan….
Paint all trim/bumpers flat black
Finish lowering rear suspension- shackles/shocks
03/04 cobra seats 10th anniversary black/red without headrests
New radio/door speakers/small amp and 10” sub behind orbetween the seats
Change all wood grain interior parts to black/grey pieces.
Spray in bed liner
That should do it until I decide I want more power.
I was actually able to work on the truck today. I finished up the passenger side head swap. Now to start on the driver side..... the intake is only in place for the pic which didn't turn out very well. Oh yea, the old plugs were left in to keep paint from the threads, they'll be changed.