Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V/Modified B codes, step-by-step

Old 01-24-2016, 03:55 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost forgot - don't forget to replace the bushings on the stock front sway bar as well.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:29 PM
csnow
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks fellas. This will help a alot.

On a side note, my third excursion took a dump today. Gosh I really hate that 6.0. I am going to part that one out and be done with it. I know, 3 excursions what was I thinking. I bought the 6.0 cheap to do a 12v swap. Just don't have the time for it.

----------------------------------------------------

Please remember folks: https://www.ford-trucks.com/site-guidelines/

Personal Items For Sale . For Sale items are not allowed in the automotive and general discussion forums of FTE. This includes placing ads or links to ads in your signature. We have a Classifieds section that you can list your items in. Want ads are allowed in the forums so long as you post a follow-up when you find the part(s). Vehicle value discussions are permitted, however, if we find it turning into a for sale thread, the thread will be removed. The only exception to this guideline is the Chapter Forums. There is a specific thread in each Chapter Forum, for Chapter Members only, that is intended for local for sale items.
Thanks,
Your Mod Team

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-25-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:06 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by csnow
Thanks fellas. This will help a alot.

On a side note, my third excursion took a dump today. Gosh I really hate that 6.0. I am going to part that one out and be done with it. I know, 3 excursions what was I thinking. I bought the 6.0 cheap to do a 12v swap. Just don't have the time for it.
What she do?

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-25-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 PM
csnow
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Limp mode and then went ruff idle and died. Probably a FICM issue.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:19 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
Stock works fine
Stock Moog replacements.... they're serviceable.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:21 AM
EmceeScottyP
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see the picture and count 5 leaves in the pack. I have purchased new "B" code springs and there are 4 leaves in the pack.

If I perform the mod will I be removing 2 Leaves from my new springs and replacing them with 2 of the old springs OR will I be adding 2 old leaves to my new pack resulting in 6 leaves total? Thank you in advance!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 794 Likes on 557 Posts
Originally Posted by EmceeScottyP
I see the picture and count 5 leaves in the pack. I have purchased new "B" code springs and there are 4 leaves in the pack.

If I perform the mod will I be removing 2 Leaves from my new springs and replacing them with 2 of the old springs OR will I be adding 2 old leaves to my new pack resulting in 6 leaves total? Thank you in advance!

OEM B codes were available with or without the top overload leaf, either way you can NOT use that top overload leaf on an EX, the EX does not have the landing pads for the leaf to function. And that leaf can contact your rear AC lines under full compression causing the AC system and your wallet to depressure.
To do the typical B code mods you take the bottom two shortest leaves from the factory EX spring pack and add them to the B code pack along with the slightly thicker between leaf spacers from the EX pack, these will replace the B code's spacers. Those 2 short leaves will go under your B code's 4 main long leaves and just above that thick bottom leaf/plate. Your new B codes do have 4 long leaves AND a thick bottom leaf/plate correct? Like this one below which still has it's top overload (that we can't use on an EX).

The only thing that would be removed from the B codes would be the top overload and the 1" block between it and the main spring pack (if it has the overload) and the in between leaf spacers that you swap out for the EX ones and the center bolt which may need to be replaced depending on the new modded pack's total thickness vs the bolt length. No leaves (aside from the top overload) get removed from the new B codes during this mod.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:33 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
MODDING THE B CODE SPRINGS:

On the springs you take off of the truck (old springs), hit the center spring pack bolt with PB blaster on the nut side only. I actually didn't need it at all.

Set C clamps onto the old springs...I put one near the center bolt, then two more on either side:

I took a set of vice grips and locked them on the round head of the bolt and just used a regular ratchet to remove the nut.

Once you get the bolt out, release the C clamps and "flip" the springs upside down so the arch is up. Loosen all three C clamps. Pull the bottom two leaves from the pack along with all of the center spacers - discard the anti-wrap leaf and the uper three leaves.

Take note when you break apart the spring pack and put everything back together that you keep the front to the front and the back to the back.

Repeat the process on the B code springs - placing three C clamps, removing the center pin bolt then slowly releasing pressure from the C clamps. Flip the springs upside down, take those bottom two leaves out, replace all of the thin spacers with the thicker ones from your stock springs. Put on the two additional leaves and the rectangular bracket, then use the new center bolt to align the leaves. Once you get them lined up, remove the bolt, put on the B code bottom leaf and put the pin back in. Use the C clamps to compress the pack slowly, making sure the leaves are not sliding around tearing up that center bolt. If you have a "driff pin" (read that on another FTE members posting) use that...I didn't have one so I used the bolt. Use a hammer to tap the leaves to keep them straight as you tighten the C clamps fully. Put the new bolt in and tighten down.

NOTE: Ford could not give me a torque spec on this since Ford does not recommend changing the spring packs. I tightened mine down by hand pretty hard.

Remove the C clamps and you should have a new Modded B spring pack:

Old 04-21-2016, 08:16 AM
slandry
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What shocks are you running?

Old 06-27-2017, 10:08 AM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any one here running timbrens with these? still getting more sag than I would prefer with v/b codes..

Old 06-27-2017, 10:47 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
Any one here running timbrens with these? still getting more sag than I would prefer with v/b codes..
More squat when you load a trailer and cargo or Sag at static ride height ?

Old 06-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
are you running "b codes" or "modded b codes"?

modded B codes are going to be very resistant to sag.

If you still have the original G codes, I highly suggest you put another leaf into the B codes. solves the problem and free

Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tylus
are you running "b codes" or "modded b codes"?

modded B codes are going to be very resistant to sag.

If you still have the original G codes, I highly suggest you put another leaf into the B codes. solves the problem and free
The common "B mod" has a spring rate of 420 in lbs just the same as the factory Excursion spring so it is going to squat the same under identical loads.

The difference between a B mod spring and the factory rear Excursion leaf is the amount of arch. Same spring rate, different arch.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:57 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
How do you obtain this scientific fact that Modded B codes are same spring rate as factory G codes?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:01 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tylus
How do you obtain this scientific fact that Modded B codes are same spring rate as factory G codes?
Measure the individual leafs and plug the results into a spring calculator

Leaf Spring Calculator | Suspension Maxx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V/Modified B codes, step-by-step