Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM
New User

grainfedprairieboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
F450 Rear Disc Brake Bleed Issue

I've got a 2002 F450 V10 4x4 with rear disk brakes. I bought this truck a year ago with the intention of really using it at a later date. I recently noticed that both rear calipers were not functioning and that one of the rotors actually had one side completely ground off and this had likely been in this state since the previous owner as the pads were still essentially new.

There was no problem stopping the truck, even under load but as I want to start using the truck on a regular basis I decided to replace the rotors, pads and calipers. However, after bleeding the brakes for hours, cycling through at least 8 litres of fluid and including using a pneumatic power bleeder, I am unable to get the stiffness of the brakes to the point they were before I started.

Brakes will stiffen up just fine until truck is started then they are spongy and will eventually travel to the floor. Truck will stop while on a road test but definitely not tight like it should be or was before.

Anyone had experience with this sort of problem? Hate to just start randomly replacing things like a dealer.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Posting Guru

critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Are you still getting air out of the bleeders?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Elder User

bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Perhaps there is air in the ABS module. If there is air in the ABS module, you have to take it someplace that can hook it up to a computer and cycle the solenoids to bleed the module.
XL Trim with Power Equip. Group, XL Decor & XL Plus
9x7 Reading Dump Body with Scissor Lift & Chelsea PTO
Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Senior User

T diesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Are the bleeders on the top of your calipers?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterf1 View Post
Are you still getting air out of the bleeders?
No air at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucci View Post
Perhaps there is air in the ABS module. If there is air in the ABS module, you have to take it someplace that can hook it up to a computer and cycle the solenoids to bleed the module.
The ABS seems to work fine when I road tested it on a snow covered section. Also, I was able to lock up the front brakes just not the rear. Additionally, I don't know if it matters with the ABS module but there is no brake or ABS warning light on the dash or code thrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T diesel View Post
Are the bleeders on the top of your calipers?
On one side the bleeder is on top and the other side it is on the bottom as the calipers are the same just reversed.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Senior User

Both bleeders should be on top.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
New User

Quote:
Yup. As usual the majority of failed repairs is due to my incompetence. Also should have paid more attention to the fact that the wrong part might be in the right box.

I`ll exchange tomorrow and update.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Senior User

Happened to me!

I believe you have to specify front or rear mounted.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Senior User

Did you get the problem solved?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Not on Ford. I have the same situation when they manufacture only one side caliper and put it upside down on other side.
I removed the caliper, turned it upside down with a shim between pads and bleed it this way.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 AM
Senior User

Mine are on top.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:15 PM
New User

fergie2012 is starting off with a positive reputation.
nightmare brakes

I had the same problem with my 1999 F450,it is easy to get the wrong calipers,bleeders have to be on top to bleed properly,invest in a $50 vacuum pump as these calipers are huge and pumping the brakes too soon just adds more problems,was able to remove most of the air with the pump and a couple of brake pedal pumps with a helper got rid of the rest.Had a bit of an issue with low pedal when first starting truck but a few hard stops and the pedal was better than before.When bleeding calipers,it is easy to know if the air is out as they will start working as your helper is applying pressure while you are working the bleeder.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
06, 1999, 2000, 450, abs, bleed, bleeder, bleeding, brake, brakes, diesel, dissel, f350, f450, ford, rabs