1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Battery relocation done. Coolant filter done with pics. York prep started.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:10 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
thanks for the quick response, Darin!

yeah, i was thinking that some sort of enclosure is a must. and even so, sealed, gel-type batteries would certainly do better than vented ones. i'll have to check and see if i can get away with some sort of plastic shroud to deflect the salt spray rather than completely enclose the batteries.

as for location - i see you have them mounted under the back corner of your supercab. any reason why you didnt go up under the front corner of the bed. i was just looking under that spot in my gasser F250 at lunchtime and it looked like plenty of space and more headroom under there to tuck the batteries up higher. ...a slightly longer run to the starter, of course, but only by a foot or two.

any thoughts?
The way they are designed they both open to the rear, so I needed a decent space between them to access the front one. Besides that, I have 50+ feet of battery cable installed in my setup as is. I have cables from both + to the starter, cable from the negative side of one to the alternator, cables to the front bumper for my remote terminals, etc. I also at the time was going to put the air tanks I have in the picture above in that space. Now, I have a bigger tank and its going in the box so that idea is scrapped. I also didn't care about tucking them up high, this is not an off road vehicle. They are as high as they could be where they are though. They only hang an inch or so below my chrome step.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:24 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Here is a picture of the brace I put on.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:09 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
The way they are designed they both open to the rear, so I needed a decent space between them to access the front one. Besides that, I have 50+ feet of battery cable installed in my setup as is. I have cables from both + to the starter, cable from the negative side of one to the alternator, cables to the front bumper for my remote terminals, etc. I also at the time was going to put the air tanks I have in the picture above in that space. Now, I have a bigger tank and its going in the box so that idea is scrapped. I also didn't care about tucking them up high, this is not an off road vehicle. They are as high as they could be where they are though. They only hang an inch or so below my chrome step.
makes sense. i think i may go for that spot under the bed, but you're right, yours don't hang down too terribly far anyway...

Here is a picture of the brace I put on.

were you noticing too much sway in the box or werethere other issues that brace solved?

and thanks again for the quick responses on an old thread!

Old 11-07-2014, 04:20 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
No, I wasn't noticing any sway. When I'd hit a bump or flexed the truck, or something like that, the rubber pieces I had on top of them between the body and box would get loose and fall out. Then I'd hear the boxes hitting the cab. With the angle supports no more problems.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I wasn't noticing any sway. When I'd hit a bump or flexed the truck, or something like that, the rubber pieces I had on top of them between the body and box would get loose and fall out. Then I'd hear the boxes hitting the cab. With the angle supports no more problems.
Darin thanks for sharing all the photos and info on this project I learned alot from reading your thread.
I was told of this thread by Chris/ F350-6 I'm glad he knew of thread. I am actually leaving my batteries in the stock position and am adding a 3rd battery or should I say a 2nd battery bank and am planning on putting them down on the frame rail on the Rt side also. So for now I am just getting ideas from others like yourself that have already done this mod.

Reps to you on doing such a great job and sharing what you have learned with us.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:50 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Darin thanks for sharing all the photos and info on this project I learned alot from reading your thread.
I was told of this thread by Chris/ F350-6 I'm glad he knew of thread. I am actually leaving my batteries in the stock position and am adding a 3rd battery or should I say a 2nd battery bank and am planning on putting them down on the frame rail on the Rt side also. So for now I am just getting ideas from others like yourself that have already done this mod.

Reps to you on doing such a great job and sharing what you have learned with us.
Thanks for the comments and reps Ed.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
quick question Darin - hopefully i'll be doing my frame mount batteries this weekend...

what guage cable did you use from the batteries to the starter? you mention 4 guage to your starter relay, but i didnt see a guage reference on the thick ones... i was hoping to repurpose much of my stock battery cable, but will need a new run from the batteries to the starter, i believe. i'm thinking 2/0 is the gauge i want, but wanted to check with you.

from the table in the bottom left of page 2 in this link (http://www.generalcable.com/NR/rdonl...tterySS_FA.pdf), it looks like 2/0 will allow for 17 feet of run at 900 cranking amps on our systems. i'll be well under that distance and i doubt our starters draw that much current, even considering the nominal 1500 cranking amp rating of our 2 batteries...

Old 11-25-2014, 09:17 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
JP here a tool I use to figure out what size wire to use. Mind you marine rated tinned wire is actually 10% bigger than SAE wire but it does help to take into account other factors.
Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems

Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
JP, I went with 1/0 cable everywhere except the relay wire.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:24 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
JP here a tool I use to figure out what size wire to use. Mind you marine rated tinned wire is actually 10% bigger than SAE wire but it does help to take into account other factors.
Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems
cool - thanks, i'll have to try it out. anyone know what the current draw of our starters is?

JP, I went with 1/0 cable everywhere except the relay wire.
great, thanks - a few bucks cheaper/foot than the 2/0 stuff :-)

Old 11-25-2014, 10:47 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess 2/0 is overboard, but It might come in handy for a couple 1100CCA batteries.
Like these
http://www.amazon.com/ http://www.amazon.com/

Old 11-26-2014, 09:13 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. Those things are steep. I always got commercial batteries at our local freightshaker dealership. 2 1100cca batts for 200 bucks. And they last extremely well. The ones I the original MOOSE MACHINE are 7 years old now. She still fires up

Old 11-26-2014, 09:20 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. Those things are steep. I always got commercial batteries at our local freightshaker dealership. 2 1100cca batts for 200 bucks. And they last extremely well. The ones I the original MOOSE MACHINE are 7 years old now. She still fires up

Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Do you have a name or PN on those? I paid that for the 2 850CCA bats I got now, and the last time I tested them, they weren't doing so good!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
cool - thanks, i'll have to try it out. anyone know what the current draw of our starters is?

great, thanks - a few bucks cheaper/foot than the 2/0 stuff :-)
That's a good question and I would like to also know "What is the amp draw on starters on a 7.3 diesel ? "

Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
So you are saying 2 1100 CCA batteries for $200 ?!? That is a great deal !! What brand & size are they ?
Them fancy batteries are nice but I could never afford them.

Quick Reply: Battery relocation done. Coolant filter done with pics. York prep started.