Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "new to me" 01' 7.3L X build

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, the brown uniform guy dropped off my wheels and tires this week, and Transamerican just dropped off the 4" lift today. Not sure if I have time to install it this weekend or not, but at least everything is here to do it now.

I went with 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on 17x9 Raceline Renegade 8s with 4.5" back spacing. 4" Pro Comp lift too. I'll trim as needed, "if" needed.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
ddorband
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you make it through the weekend without tearing into it you have far more patients than me. I can't wait to see it when the lift and wheels are done, please post pic's.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Spent the day installing the lift. 4" Pro Comp. I had an issue with the DS rear shackle bolt being Seized inside the sleeve, so I had to cut it out. I will need to replace the bushing there soon, but I was at least able to button it all back up to get it home. Its fine for a while, but I will get that taken care of.

Initial impressions is that I don't like the shock valving at all. But ride quality is actually surprisingly good. So, I am at least happy with the ride and lift height, but need to order up some Bilsteins for it this week. I love the tire/wheel combo as well. They fit good, and I love how easy the Toyos balance out. Literally two of them have no weights on them and two only have a couple ounces. 4.5" back spacing is perfect too. No spring rub at full lock at all.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM
ddorband
Freshman User
I think I jut saw your X heading West on Harmony, it looks great!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
That lift looks REALLY good.....We have the same truck, by the way (colors, year and specs). I still have stock lift because wife doesn't want it lifted ANY....

Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ddorband
I think I jut saw your X heading West on Harmony, it looks great!
Yup. Coming home from Wahoo's Fish Tacos!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
ddorband
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jeepincj7
Yup. Coming home from Wahoo's Fish Tacos!
Wahoo's is one of our favorite places to eat, we eat there at least once a week. Before that one open the closest one was down in Longmont, we would still make the drive just to eat there at least once a month.

It was funny, I jumped on FTE on my phone quick while I waited for my boys to finish lunch and saw your photos, and then no more then 10 minutes later I pulling away from a stop light and caught your X out of the corner of my eye. It was the nice shiny wheels that gave it away. It looks great in person, nice work.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
FELNTPSY
Freshman User
GREAT! Looks awesome. Love the wheel/tire combo!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ddorband
Wahoo's is one of our favorite places to eat, we eat there at least once a week. Before that one open the closest one was down in Longmont, we would still make the drive just to eat there at least once a month.

It was funny, I jumped on FTE on my phone quick while I waited for my boys to finish lunch and saw your photos, and then no more then 10 minutes later I pulling away from a stop light and caught your X out of the corner of my eye. It was the nice shiny wheels that gave it away. It looks great in person, nice work.
I used to work in Costa Mesa, CA. I was two blocks from the original Wahoo's. SOOOOOOOOOO glad that they had them out here when we moved here. Every time we would roll to Boulder, Longmont, or the Springs we would eat there. I love it.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 AM
ericmmcv
Junior User
Scotty the truck looks great love the lift and wheels!

Eric

Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
So, this week was a huge "lesson learning" week for me at the shop. My Torque Converter came in from Roadrunner Converters down in Phoenix, AZ. So, on Tuesday I tore into the X and pulled the tranny back. We decided to just pull the tranny back off of the block by about a foot. Then pull the old converter out, slap the new one in, and install the new flex plate. On paper it sounded simple. By the end of the day it was all button back up and I went to test it and I had no forward or reverse gears. Turns out that the 4r100 has three "clicks" when installing a TC onto it. Well, I hit two of them, but not the 3rd. When I installed it, I ended up smashing the tranny pump with the TC when it was sucked up against the block. This was an expensive mistake. And, 100% my fault.

Anyway, so I called up Roadrunner, and talked to Jim. Jim, was cool as ****, and ended up overnighting me a replacement torque converter for FREE. (Well, I paid the shipping). I cannot tell you how cool that was of them.

Then I called up Brian at BTS and ordered an upgraded tranny pump from him as well. I explained the situation and he walked me through the install on his own time after hours.

I cannot tell you how much both of these companies went out of their way to help me out with this. For Roadrunner to step up and cover my mistake speaks volumes to me. Same with Brian at BTS. I truely thank them both.

So, with that said, I love the new TC. Much better throttle response with much faster TC lockup. The lower stall speed is sweet, and finally makes it feel like it will move off the line without 3/4 throttle or more. I fully expect to see better mpgs around town with this new lockup and lower stall speed. The tranny overall feels much tighter and it it even seems like its shifting quicker and firmer.

I also got my gauge pod installed last week. Its getting a new windshield as I type this, and I can finally talk to Jody at DP Tuner later to get my tuner ordered up the way I want it.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
B-Xcurgin
Junior User
Just read your thread I love your lift and tires not too tall but looks bad A$$. keep up the good work.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Okay, the DP Tuner showed up yesterday. Spent the afternoon getting it into the truck. All I can really say about it is that if you are driving around a stock 7.3L you absolutely must try this tuner. I have a Power Hungry Performance Phoenix chip in my 96' and the DP Tuner just blows it away. Its simply amazing.

The X in stock mode is a slug. It just doesn't move very well without a lot of throttle. The torque converter won't lock up well so you waste a lot of fuel getting up to speed. The shifts are slow and sluggish, and while the new torque converter helped this a little it was still sluggish at best. This tuner changes the rig completely. Literally, its a night and day change for the better. It HAULS *** now. Quick, firm(not harsh) shifts from beginning to end. I now get immediate boost off the line where you would have to wait for the turbo to spool up before. Now as soon as you leave the line into the gas you're at 20psi of boost.

And, let me tell you right now that I am hoping that the gas mileage that is being calculated is accurate or even close. I had been really unimpressed with the mileage in the X. After the lift I was averaging around 12.5 in mixed use. At the end of the day yesterday I was at 17.9mpg and that was hammering the pedal quite often.

The tunes are amazing. I cannot say that enough. I am actually considering getting rid of the PHP chip in my 96' in favor of a DP Tuner for it. They are that much better.

Also figured I would update the other stuff too. Gauges are installed. And, I added a few interior pics of the head unit and overhead TV as well as the Prodigy brake controller.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Oh, and I can add another future mod to the list too. I am going to need a wicked wheel or ATS housing to help eliminate the turbo surge. I can already tell that I am getting symptoms of it at times.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 AM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What's that Prodigy crap anyway? Mine came with it installed and all I've done is hit my knee on it. I was told it's for towing?

Quick Reply: My "new to me" 01' 7.3L X build