Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Senior User

rocketman2440 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tank question

So I am slowly assembling a two tank SVO conversion for my 99 Powerstroke. But I have a question about the second tank. I can get my hands on a tank that goes where the spare tire mounts for $80, but the tank is made of steel. So I have a 2 part question.

1. Could I seal the steel tank with something like this, and not have to worry about polymerization?

2. Should I make the steel tank my diesel tank, and convert my stock tank to the SVO tank?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Posting Guru

cj06 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
why do you want to coat the steel tank ?
what are you going to use to heat the oil ?
veg oil will not react to the steel as far as i know !
i have a side tank off of a older F700 that i am in the process of converting for WVO !
by converting i am building a heater system for that the coolant will run through , probably wont work to well !
Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman2440 View Post
So I am slowly assembling a two tank SVO conversion for my 99 Powerstroke. But I have a question about the second tank. I can get my hands on a tank that goes where the spare tire mounts for $80, but the tank is made of steel. So I have a 2 part question.

1. Could I seal the steel tank with something like this, and not have to worry about polymerization?

2. Should I make the steel tank my diesel tank, and convert my stock tank to the SVO tank?
Yes, the steel tank WILL cause problems if ya use VO or B100 in it!!! Ask how I know...

No, there is not any coating I am aware of that will tolerate hot WVO. (I work with industrial coatings every day )

I suggest selling the Cab Chassis tank and getting an X tank. I see X tanks go for <$100 all the time. Check car-part.com
Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06 View Post
by converting i am building a heater system for that the coolant will run through , probably wont work to well !
No, it won't work well for long. VO will polymerize (natural degradation process) much more rapidly if exposed to CARBON STEEL. That reaction is further expedited by HEAT and even further by OXYGEN. If your 'heater system' includes copper components (much more reactive than carbon steel ) - you will effectively create a polymerization factory.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Posting Guru

cj06 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
all the tubes for the coolant will be made out of 3/4" black pipe !
but as I was doing a little more research you guys are right , guess i will find some stainless to make a tank from !
well thanks for setting me straight !
Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06 View Post
all the tubes for the coolant will be made out of 3/4" black pipe !
but as I was doing a little more research you guys are right , guess i will find some stainless to make a tank from !
well thanks for setting me straight !
No worries. Aluminum is a great material as well. Less expensive and easier to work with than SS.

Also, by focusing your heat just around the fuel pick-up and minimizing heating the whole tank - you can reduce the rate of polymerization even further. I recommend a heated sump design. Basically a small appendage on the bottom of your tank with just a couple holes to communicate with the tank. This will focus the heat in just a few pints of oil but will heat enough of the tank to melt Crisco if needed.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Senior User

rocketman2440 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks again for the info Jason! I did not end up buying the tank. Luckily for me, I found a spare tank lying around here from a boat project of mine. It is aluminum and measures 18X14X30 (approx. 32 gallons) and is aluminum. I figure it will tuck up nicely between the frame rails where the spare tire is. Oh and if you get a chance will you send me some details on how you did your setup. I tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox was full.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman2440 View Post
I tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox was full.
Not anymore!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
99, excursion, f250, location, spare, tank, tire