4.6 question

Old 04-22-2003, 02:36 PM
TryMe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 question

Just wondering if any of you have tried to something simular to this. I'm always installing late model engines in old cars and trucks. I just finished putting a 460 EFI in a 52 truck. It really was not to bad,its running and everything. But now I just got hole of a 1998 mark,with a 4.6 in it. wrecked. And I pulled the engine and trans. and with a little work,I got it to fit in my 1961 Ford starliner. It looks great, Its a big looking engine. Anyway have you done something like this. If so with the computer to install.Can I do away with some of the wireing. Or not,I have been looking for a company that may sell a aftermarket wiring harness. But only found some for the 5.0s Any ideas ?? THANKS !

Old 04-23-2003, 01:12 AM
MACH351C
New User
4.6 question

Anything is possible if you have the $$$$. I'm currently putting a '98 LS1and 6 speed in my '68 Chevy Stepside but there are a lot of places to get modified harnesses and it's not that hard to do it yourself. The thing is with GM computers it's primarily for the engine. Yes I do have to get around the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) which there is a couple of ways of doing it. With the Ford computers (ECM, PCM, ECC-what ever you want to call it) things get more complicated. Around these years (the year of the engine that your using) Ford sort of integrated stuff. By integrating I mean using GEM's (general electronics module) and a serial data bus to connect to the computer. Now your putting it in a vehicle that won't need say the timer for the rear defrost to work, dome-light supervision or power window express (down) so you still should be ok. Around these years the PATS was introduced (passive anti theft system) which I believe tied the "chipped key, cluster and computer. Might be something to check into. Also you'd have to use every sensor and switch to keep from setting the check engine light. That would include emissions stuff also. With the LS1 I can get a software package that allows me to change the computers parameters/tables and delete things like the rear O2's (you have to run the forward two for fuel management), egr and air pump. I know there is nothing like this available for Fords right now, but I know some of the Mustang places can do computer programming-you just have to send it to them. That's probably what I would start with. Give someone like Sean Hyland (not exactly sure of spelling) a call. He's big in the mod motors and in all the Mustang magazines. Like I said earlier all my info may not be totally correct-I know more about the LS1 swap as that is what I'm doing. I'd probably be doing more with my Mustang if I could do the stuff to it the Fbody guys are doing.

Old 04-30-2003, 08:59 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
4.6 question

Go to this website.

http://www.maxrpm.com/LMSindex.htm

They know a ton about the Mark VIII stuff. I am currently installing a 94 DOHC 4.6 into my 54 F-100. They have custom chips and all other items. My motor does not have the same controls as yours so mine is easier. They should be able to help you in many ways.

The Ford computers are alot easier to manipulate than the Chevy stuff.

BTW, I also have a 514 with EFI based on the 90 Mustang computer. Everything can be done with patience.

Steve S.

Old 09-11-2003, 01:52 PM
shoot
Freshman User
4.6 question

Tryme,

Do you remember where the aftermarket wiring harness was for the 5.0 Ford?

Thanks,

Shoot