6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

The infamous chirp

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The infamous chirp

I have a thread trying to get rid of a squeaky belt (i want to crank the truck without it firing was the title). And I think I have the chirp. Does anyone know if there ever was a solution to it? Thanks

Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Does anyone have a chirp sound from their engine

Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 PM
jjaz43
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes
In my case both alternators in my dual setup were near the end of their life.
There is also if I remember six idler pulleys, along with the two adjusters.
Being as half the bearings were getting rough, I replaced them all along with new belts.
No more chirp. Engine sounds great again.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:37 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
your noise was a pulley? I have replaced both idlers (single alternator), the tensioner, fan clutch (warranty part), water pump, water pump pulley, and the alternator. no fix though. I warmed the truck up with the belt on with the fan removed and the stator and shroud off also (to allow me to remove the belt fast), then I shut it down and removed the belt and ran it without the belt to see if the chirp is still there. It is. I can hear it the clearest after shutdown. Ater shutting it down without the belt, I get about two squeaks as the engine spins to a stop. So I got out the stethescope and put the truck together and could hear the squeak on the hpop cover towards the back passenger side (with stethescope). The build date on this truck is 04/06. when did they start using the updated stc fitting from the factory? Does anyone think the hpop itself its causing this chirp? Maybe the branch tube? Do I have to get the rear cover off to replace the branch tube (remove the engine)?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 AM
jjaz43
Junior User
Could it be a flex plate issue ?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by run6.0run
your noise was a pulley? I have replaced both idlers (single alternator), the tensioner, fan clutch (warranty part), water pump, water pump pulley, and the alternator. no fix though. I warmed the truck up with the belt on with the fan removed and the stator and shroud off also (to allow me to remove the belt fast), then I shut it down and removed the belt and ran it without the belt to see if the chirp is still there. It is. I can hear it the clearest after shutdown. Ater shutting it down without the belt, I get about two squeaks as the engine spins to a stop. So I got out the stethescope and put the truck together and could hear the squeak on the hpop cover towards the back passenger side (with stethescope). The build date on this truck is 04/06. when did they start using the updated stc fitting from the factory? Does anyone think the hpop itself its causing this chirp? Maybe the branch tube? Do I have to get the rear cover off to replace the branch tube (remove the engine)?
I don't think they started the STC fitting up grade until the late late model 07's. I've heard of "noise" from the HPOP/STC fitting but don't recall it being a squeak like you're describing. IIRC it was more of a "ting ting ting ting" noise. To replace the STC you don't have to remove the engine. Turbo, intake(optional), IPR, HPOP cover all have to come out.

Originally Posted by pdxharv
The chirp sound I'm referring to is not a squeal like you hear from belts, etc but a distinct timed metallic "chirp" that increases or decreases with engine revs at deaccel and light throttle. Almost a tink- tink- tink sound like an internal metal flap of some type is opening and closing. Only occurs after a warm up and then increases in volume as temp increases. Ford tells dealer it relates to the hpop pipe.....?
I only hope this is not the beginning of the end of my past positive feelings for the super duty line.
This is the sound I'm refering to from the thread that you resurrected but not sure that that's what you're hearing.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is this the shutdown chirp? if so i have had it on mine since i got it, never really cared to see what it was, i notice when the a/c is running on shutdown, so im guessing it has to do with the compressor

Old 02-05-2012, 08:11 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by raptor131
is this the shutdown chirp? if so i have had it on mine since i got it, never really cared to see what it was, i notice when the a/c is running on shutdown, so im guessing it has to do with the compressor

Good point. I think we've all had that one...

Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 AM
jjaz43
Junior User
How about an exhaust manifold leak ?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Does your shutdown chirp sound like a squeak. I only say this cause when my truck is running it sounds metallic, only for the second after shutdown can I tell that its a squeak. It does 2 squeaks that I can hear clearly with the hood up and me laying back there as the wife sits er down. It does it during decel, idle, but can't hear it when raising rpms.
I have changed the stc fitting in my other truck, What I was referring to was the procedure for changing the branch tube, and if anyone thinks this could help.
I am not to fond of the idea of letting this noise be, I drive this for a living and there are some places up north that I do not want to get stuck at because of an issue that I could have resolved. A fella could freeze to death up there, really, lol.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jjaz43
Could it be a flex plate issue ?
Im not sure, I've never pulled the trans, so I'm not sure what's goin on under there. You are referring to the clutch,,, right. I haven't thought of that at all. Might be huh, it is the stock clutch.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I don't think they started the STC fitting up grade until the late late model 07's. I've heard of "noise" from the HPOP/STC fitting but don't recall it being a squeak like you're describing. IIRC it was more of a "ting ting ting ting" noise. To replace the STC you don't have to remove the engine. Turbo, intake(optional), IPR, HPOP cover all have to come out.

This is the sound I'm refering to from the thread that you resurrected but not sure that that's what you're hearing.
oh yeah, I think that's what I'm hearing, the sound rears its head at the exact increments he described, my only thing is that for the split second after shutdown (and if I am under the hood), I can tell, only then, that's its a squeak.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:37 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jjaz43
How about an exhaust manifold leak ?
I guess, but my only issue is that with the stethescope on, the only place I could hear it is on the cover of the hpop, I will check there also tho.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:45 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Originally Posted by raptor131
Does your sound, sound metallic, even after shutdown. I'm just baffled cause the only reason I replaced the belt n pulleys was because it sounded like a squeak only at shutdown. But I guess since I can hear mine at other times, not just shutdown, maybe mine is something else. It just sucks that I can remember when I definitely did not have this noise. Sorry to be posting so much, I'm just baffled.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine chirps randomly at shutdown and no it doesnt sound metallic to me just the sound of belt coming to a sudden stop and a pulley keeps turning so it chirps. After doing my oil cooler and blue spring, I spilled diesel all over the front belt and down the front of the motor. As well as coolant, now I too have a constant squeak. So I know what you mean. I will try belt dressing to rule out the belt first, cause they don't recommend contaminating the belt with oil, coolant, diesel as it causes the rubber to harden or deteriorate prematurely

Quick Reply: The infamous chirp