Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

2012 Tennessee Garden Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mac:

The Fennel seeds arrived today - I'm drying some Habernero seeds for ya, should only be about 24 - 48 hours delay.

I store Habernero's in a deep freeze just as quick as I pick and wash them, it keeps them fresh, doesn't hurt the seeds at all, and it's easier than trying to dry them out.

Habbies have a high sugar content, which is where part of their odd 'Tropical' flavor comes from - but I have never been really successful drying them or even pickling them unless I use a real strong pickle brine and keep them constantly refrigerated.

Beware of these when they get ripe! I accidentally rubbed my nose (after washing my hands twice with dish soap) and about lit my whole face on fire...

You'll have about a hundred fresh Habenero seeds - the bushes grow approx. a yard tall and wide. Once they begin to produce, they cover themselves with peppers. They actually look like they have little red flames all over them

Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent! Thanks! Were there enough seeds for you? I think 100 pepper seeds will definitely be more than enough. I appreciate your sharing them.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I just ran it over to the post office 15 minutes ago - a little rural office, about a quarter mile from here. Chilly out, even in a leather...

Had a good stiff west to east breeze going too, so it looks like some weather is coming at me.

I'm pretty sure at some point I got Poblano Chili seeds mixed in with the bell pepper seeds. But this is a good thing! Consider it a bonus if one of your bell pepper plants turns out to have a surprisingly 'anaheim chili' flavor too it... They look nearly identical, and that's how it happened. I would never have noticed if I wasn't munching on the peppers as I was cleaning the seeds into a drying pan

One 'a them dudes was pleasantly warm!

So you have five varieties coming; possibly six if you're lucky...

Anaheim chili, Banana peppers, mixed colors of bell peppers (hopefully with one or two Poblano Chili's), Tabasco, and the Parks Seed Co. "Maya" Improved Habernero

That ought to add some color to your patch!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Thanks again! Now I can't wait 'til spring....

Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Got the seeds in the mail yesterday! THANK YOU! Much more than I was anticipating, and most appreciated. I've already started getting my containers cleaned for spring seed planting.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I have a lot of old vines to chop up somehow, so they don't wrap around the tillers tines...
(I hate stopping to cut away a huge clod of vines)

I think a machete and a stout board or 4X4 should do it

~It's a mess out there. But think of all the new gen organic material! All the veggie plant matter instead of weed stuffs- that has to help the soil.
(5% or less clay, 95% silt, 0.0%sand)

I see it as "SOIL BUILDING SEASON"

* I also need to put in some hours cutting up some trees I dropped out in the back