Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Lamps Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 PM
MrMarquis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lamps Installation Questions

Hey y'all, picked up two pairs of lights that I'm gonna hang under the bumper of the truck ('94 F150XL)

Two questions since I can't go crawling around the truck right now...

1) Where would be the easiest place to run wires through the firewall?

2) I'd like to tap into something that's keyed into the ignition so the wires ain't always hot. The lamps are 55W a piece with a 15amp fuse for each pair. Is there someplace inside the cab I can grab the power from?

Sorry if these are simple questions that could probably be answered by digging through the truck. I'm always on the run with work, and don't get much free time. So I try to learn and plan things out in advance as best I can.

Thanks.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
I would just drill a hole through the firewall in a convenient place, and tap into the wire for the marker lights, I believe it's brown in color. I'd put a separate switch in the dash also, just so that they aren't always on when you put on the markers/headlights.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 PM
MrMarquis
Senior User
Originally Posted by GNR22
I would just drill a hole through the firewall in a convenient place, and tap into the wire for the marker lights, I believe it's brown in color. I'd put a separate switch in the dash also, just so that they aren't always on when you put on the markers/headlights.
Each pair will have an independent switch. I have one pair amber and one pair clear.

And I never did think of taping into that, that would make it easy. You are right, it is the brown wire. Already got a few new running lights tapped into that one.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMarquis
Each pair will have an independent switch. I have one pair amber and one pair clear.

And I never did think of taping into that, that would make it easy. You are right, it is the brown wire. Already got a few new running lights tapped into that one.
Ok excellent. glad to help.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
I'd use some relays to power the lights, not the brown wire directly. That's how my Hella 550's are set up, the brown wire provides the low power to control the relay. They suck a lot of juice, I wouldn't even think about not using a relay.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:42 PM
MrMarquis
Senior User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
I'd use some relays to power the lights, not the brown wire directly. That's how my Hella 550's are set up, the brown wire provides the low power to control the relay. They suck a lot of juice, I wouldn't even think about not using a relay.
Any specific kinda relay you would recommend? I'm horrible when it comes to electrical circuits. Never used a relay that didn't come with a kit before. I can follow instructions, but haven't had to piece anything together as such.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but gotta learn somehow.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a set of 10 bosch style relays from ebay, they came with connectors and about 12" of wire. I used 4 on each of my trucks for headlights and plowlights. They look like these, might be the exact ones I bought.
(5)12V BOSCH STYLE RELAYS 40A SPDT + (5) 5-WIRE SOCKETS | eBay

Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
More on those ebay relays, the connecters lock to each other, side by side so if you are using more than 1 it makes for a neater looking install. The ones I got had 2 different gauge wires but they were in the wrong spots on the connecter, I had to remove them (easy with a small pick) and put them where they belong so the larger wires were on the terminals that went to Bat+ and headlights. They relays look to be of good quality and have lasted for about 2 years in the dump truck with no issues. I just installed them in the F250 a couple weeks ago.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:01 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
If your truck is an automatic transmission, you can drill a hole in the block off plate for the clutch stuff.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am sorry, but if you have never done any wiring(other than plug and play) and you planned on hooking up 2 sets of fog lights to the running light wire, TAKE IT TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING

Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 AM
MrMarquis
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I am sorry, but if you have never done any wiring(other than plug and play) and you planned on hooking up 2 sets of fog lights to the running light wire, TAKE IT TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING
NO NEED TO YELL.

I know my way around wires, how to splice crimp and solder. That's what kits teach. I've wired up simple things like a new stereo, speakers, CB radio, and I put fogs on my other car, but didn't use a relay. Forgive me, this is how I learn. I haven't had the truck that long, and all I need to know is how to best choose a relay for the lamps. Know what they do, never had to choose one myself though. Don't know many specifics about them.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:58 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
MrMarquis,
you can do it yourself no problem.
first,understanding the basic relay;
think of it as a switch that is controlled on/off via a power wire.the main power comes from the battery,and you trigger it open/closed via the power source of your choice.be it a switch,or a power line that gets turned on when you turn the key etc.
this way,the relay handles all the load and simply passes it onto the light.

here is a diagram to show you how to do it.
simply copy the setup for your other set of lights.

i also bought a set of clear and yellow fog lights for my new bumper.

Automotive Wiring Tips

if you decide to skip the manual switch,then simply hook the brown wire onto pin #86.
perhaps you'll want the clear lights to come on with the running lights.that's what you'd do.
then perhaps you'd want to switch the yellow,then you'd put a switch between pin #86 and your brown line,or if want the second set to come on via the switch,even when running lights are off,then use either a direct battery connection (just don't forget to flip it off!) or use an ignition 12V from something.such as the radio power line (it's fine,it'll be used only for telling a relay to open.no real draw.) so that the key must be forward or back to turn them lights on.
lots of ways to mix it up for example.

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2012, 11:15 AM
1OldFordMan
Logistics Pro

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I've got a question here please. I don't have any electrical experience (hate the stuff). I currently have lights installed on my truck (came with it when I bought it used) & was looking at putting a relay on for them. I have a 5 wire relay setup I used before on a '94 Dodge I had. Someone else installed it for me. Do you have a picture (like the 4 wire setup posted) on how to hook it up? Thanks!! I want mine to be able to turn on any time (not keyed). Have had them connected to the switches I have in the dash several times by the Tech School where I used to live. Last time they worked about 2 - 3 days & quit again. Looking at it, I think the wires have come off the switches, so I'll need to figure out how to reconnect them when the weather gets warm & I can get out there to play with it some.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1OldFordMan
I've got a question here please. I don't have any electrical experience (hate the stuff). I currently have lights installed on my truck (came with it when I bought it used) & was looking at putting a relay on for them. I have a 5 wire relay setup I used before on a '94 Dodge I had. Someone else installed it for me. Do you have a picture (like the 4 wire setup posted) on how to hook it up? Thanks!! I want mine to be able to turn on any time (not keyed). Have had them connected to the switches I have in the dash several times by the Tech School where I used to live. Last time they worked about 2 - 3 days & quit again. Looking at it, I think the wires have come off the switches, so I'll need to figure out how to reconnect them when the weather gets warm & I can get out there to play with it some.

The 5 wire relay is hooked up the same, you don't use the center terminal.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:25 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MrMarquis
NO NEED TO YELL.

I know my way around wires, how to splice crimp and solder. That's what kits teach. I've wired up simple things like a new stereo, speakers, CB radio, and I put fogs on my other car, but didn't use a relay. Forgive me, this is how I learn. I haven't had the truck that long, and all I need to know is how to best choose a relay for the lamps. Know what they do, never had to choose one myself though. Don't know many specifics about them.
Get a 30 or 40 amp bosch style relay.

Quick Reply: Fog Lamps Installation Questions