1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 steering popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:38 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to follow up on this topic. My dealer identified the problem. There was slack found in my 'Drag Link', which was causing the bushing to bind and wear. They replaced the Drag Link and the bushings, and now everything is working perfectly.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RAPR
Just wanted to follow up on this topic. My dealer identified the problem. There was slack found in my 'Drag Link', which was causing the bushing to bind and wear. They replaced the Drag Link and the bushings, and now everything is working perfectly.
Great news, RAPR! I'm glad to see everything worked out.

Crystal

Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 AM
RAPR
Senior User
Me too!!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM
RAPR
Senior User
looks like the popping noise from the bearings came back....again....after just 1 month. this issue is getting extremely annoying.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
looks like the popping noise from the bearings came back....again....after just 1 month. this issue is getting extremely annoying.
I'd be frustrated, too, RAPR. Make an appointment at your dealership so they'll have a chance to make it right; feel free to contact me via PM if you'd like me to jump in and assist. Since we've been in touch in the past, all I'll need is your current mileage and a verification of your best daytime phone number to get the ball rolling.

Crystal

Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 PM
RAPR
Senior User
My currently mileage is 33,940 and this has been a problem since roughly 5000 miles. I made another appointment with a local dealer for next week. hopefully it gets fixed for go this time, since my warranty is coming up. I'm wondering if this problem persists past the 36,000 mile mark, if it will still be covered....since its been an ongoing problem way before the expiration of the warranty period.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
My currently mileage is 33,940 and this has been a problem since roughly 5000 miles. I made another appointment with a local dealer for next week. hopefully it gets fixed for go this time, since my warranty is coming up. I'm wondering if this problem persists past the 36,000 mile mark, if it will still be covered....since its been an ongoing problem way before the expiration of the warranty period.
Let me know how things go at the dealer this week, RAPR; and feel free to shoot me that PM I mentioned if you need me to get involved.

Crystal

Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 AM
crudeoil2011
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also am having the same issue in my 2011 cc 4x4 superduty. I also have a 3.5'' readylift lift on my truck with 3'' blocks in the rear. I have dual Fox stabilizers and she rides on 35''x12.5x20'' wheels and tires. I never noticed this pop untill about 5000 miles after i had the aftermarket stuff put on. Again just like you i had brought it to the lift shop about 500 miles after the install for a retorque. Last night we had a heavy rain storm move through so everything was nice and wet this morning and at low speeds i notice the feel of a pop when i make a right hand turn. Did you find anything else out on the problem?

Old 05-13-2014, 01:37 PM
RAPR
Senior User
I have confirmed that the popping problem is due to the 3.5" ReadyLift. I had it removed 6000 miles ago after getting the Drag Link and Trac bar replaced and have not had any problems since. I had these parts replaced once before while still having the lift, but got the same damage very soon after.

The problem is that this lift is on the verge of needing a pitman drop. While at rest, the ball joints on the Drag Link already sit VERY close to its maximum articulation range. If you go over any serious bumps to cause the truck to bounce upwards further, the Drag Link joints will max out and get permanently damaged. The popping noise is the result of the damaged Drag Link. This is an extremely dangerous situation and needs to be replaced, or you could run the risk of loosing complete control of the truck while driving.

I called ReadLift about this issue, and their stance was that they never saw any problems in the vehicles they tested it with. Didn't have any fix for it or have suggestions, and they pretty much washed their hands with me. Horrible follow through on their behalf. They said, along with other lift manufacturers that this truck does not require the need of a pitman drop until anything above 4" of lift. However, my truck happens to disagree. I find that their statement is true, as long as you travel along roads smooth as glass (with do not exist in Louisiana).

You are only left with 3 options:
1. you fix you drag link and trac bar (expect to pay around $1000 at the dealership) and then plan on driving your truck like its a low riding car that can bottom out.

2. fix your truck like above, and then remove the lift completely...calling it a lesson's learned. (this is what I did) My truck still fits my current tires no problem at factory height.

3. Get a custom made pitman drop and trac bar drop bracket. The only pitman drops on the market are for 6" lifted trucks or larger. I bought one for the hell of it since is said (4"-6") lift. That was a very false statement, I had it installed and it was a hell of a drop. This then threw the geometry of the drag link and the ReadyLift trac bar way out of balance, resulting in dangerous 'bumpsteer'. I thought about trying to find a trac bar to balance things out, but just got tired of throwing money at the problem with no guaranteed fix. If you go down this road and find a solution let me know. Even though I called it quits, I'm still curious.