1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gonna be a long winter....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene
No problem. I believe in the Keep it Simple premise, so I will not have as much wiring as some. BUT I did make sure I bought a fuse box that could handle something like electric windows some day. And you are right: by the time you buy all the correct gauge, color coded wires, it would pay for a harness. But I have acquired a lot of wire from other projects and have nothing but time and Coors Light, so I'll do it myself. Might regret it someday...
Let me know what you end up going with.

PS:I have never had anyone expect a "reputable answer" from me !! LOL
Well that, sir...! Is, in my expectations, a reputable answer!

My answer for a wiring harness, to this point, is an EZ wiring harness. preferrably one that doesn't get hot! I'll be back later, gotta go get Nicolle a birthday gift! Tomorrow is her birthday...She hasn't told me if she wants the new wiring harness or the new mig welder...so I guess she will have to settle for whatever one I get for her!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 PM
jdshoops
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm about to tackle it myself to simple neat and clean thats my mato

Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 PM
HarleyGyrene
Junior User

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
We have other threads where we talk about harnesses, i was just asking YOU because you were not part of those. And since you are in a wiring/electrical kind of employment, I figured you would have a reputable answer! And that's cool, EZWIRE has been my thought too. then "Larry" with his beautiful red monkey face, has this wire in his fuse box that got "HOT" so that pushed be back a 1/2 step...thanks for the reply!
What do you use for wire when doing your own? I had thought about that at one point, but by the time I buy wire and such, it seems I can just buy a premade universal harness. Especially if trying to get wire that is color coded somewhat correct and rated correct (temp and automotive use). I have looked at the local autoparts places and you can buy wired, but it seems limited to "general purpose" not great, but good enough...maybe...
So I decided to just buy a harness premade. Sorry for the
Just thought I'd let you know that after reading a ton of info on here, I broke down and ordered the 12 circuit EZ Wiring box and harness. Kind of nice cause the wires are color coded, labeled AND numbered ! Heck, even I can't screw that up !! Did you get yours ?
Only complaint so far is the the "worksheet" referred to in the documentation was not there, but I made an Excel spreadsheet to go by.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Just thought I'd let you know that after reading a ton of info on here, I broke down and ordered the 12 circuit EZ Wiring box and harness. Kind of nice cause the wires are color coded, labeled AND numbered ! Heck, even I can't screw that up !! Did you get yours ?
Only complaint so far is the the "worksheet" referred to in the documentation was not there, but I made an Excel spreadsheet to go by.
Sorry it took me a bit to notice this, no I haven't bought mine yet. I am busy selling some stuff on eBay to put toward the truck. Nothing truck related guys so chill! LOL I have some really old coins given to me by my G-ma when I was little.. I sold a 1927 Silver dollar for $50 bucks! I was stoked about that! So far I have raised about $170 and could order one, but I am still selling, so I will wait a little longer. Where did you buy it? How much, if u don't mind me asking. I was looking at a 21 circuit EZ wire, but I am not sure about what I really need and they say like 14 fuse...21 circuit...I am not 100% sure about that. I am assuming they run more than one circuit from a fuse?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 AM
HarleyGyrene
Junior User

Sorry it took me a bit to notice this, no I haven't bought mine yet. I am busy selling some stuff on eBay to put toward the truck. Nothing truck related guys so chill! LOL I have some really old coins given to me by my G-ma when I was little.. I sold a 1927 Silver dollar for $50 bucks! I was stoked about that! So far I have raised about $170 and could order one, but I am still selling, so I will wait a little longer. Where did you buy it? How much, if u don't mind me asking. I was looking at a 21 circuit EZ wire, but I am not sure about what I really need and they say like 14 fuse...21 circuit...I am not 100% sure about that. I am assuming they run more than one circuit from a fuse?
Just started laying the wires out and doing a trace. I'll pm you when I figure everything out.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I highly recommend the EZwire harness. The overheating problem mentioned I believe was caused by an incorrectly wired circuit, possibly a high draw item run without using a relay. EZ uses all GM OEM quality parts. The 12 circuit is plenty for a basc truck with just a couple electrical accessories. I used the 21 circuit since I have a lot of accessories, AC, high end stereo system, power windows, door locks, security system, power cowl vent, 4 12V power outlets for phone, laptop, inverter, back up camera, gps, etc etc

Old 02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Gonna be a long winter....
Winter's nearly over here,I'm planning my garden.I'm feeling the need to call up someone in the Frozen Tundra, and taunt them right about now......

Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Well that, sir...! Is, in my expectations, a reputable answer!

My answer for a wiring harness, to this point, is an EZ wiring harness. preferrably one that doesn't get hot! I'll be back later, gotta go get Nicolle a birthday gift! Tomorrow is her birthday...She hasn't told me if she wants the new wiring harness or the new mig welder...so I guess she will have to settle for whatever one I get for her!
I hope she got the wiring harness.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Well...I bought her pearls and she took them back! I bought them at Bergners...after the return, she went to walmart and bought a different necklace! I don't even know what to say about that...

Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 PM
dmack91
Elder User
My vote is for the welder.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by dmack91
My vote is for the welder.
Yeah me too, but I can only wish in one hand, crap in the other...you know the rest!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
I have been buying new 12 circuit wiring kits/fuse block and been very happy. Good wire, nice circuit layouts and good directions. Been buying them on ebay for $89 a set. Plus the kits are made in the USA. Fine for a basic to slightly modified truck. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-circuit-u...item1c185b3331

NOT connected in anyway with the seller, just very happy with the product and service.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by teardropty
I have been buying new 12 circuit wiring kits/fuse block and been very happy. Good wire, nice circuit layouts and good directions. Been buying them on ebay for $89 a set. Plus the kits are made in the USA. Fine for a basic to slightly modified truck. 12 circuit universal Jeep fuse panel & dash wiring kit. | eBay

NOT connected in anyway with the seller, just very happy with the product and service.
Do you think that would work with my EFI?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:48 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Do you think that would work with my EFI?
Not sure Jeff, but email them. Their direct website is nwautowire.com They have made up some custom stuff for me on my Jeeps. I think they are a smaller mom/pop op and really work hard to make things right. I have nothing against EZ Wire but to me as long as the components are good quality why pay the extra money.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by teardropty
Not sure Jeff, but email them. Their direct website is nwautowire.com They have made up some custom stuff for me on my Jeeps. I think they are a smaller mom/pop op and really work hard to make things right. I have nothing against EZ Wire but to me as long as the components are good quality why pay the extra money.
10-4 man! Thanks I will email them!

Quick Reply: Gonna be a long winter....