EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

What is the correct oil filter for the EB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the correct oil filter for the EB?

Just trying to be prepared for the first change. Not sure: I see the FL2055 and FL-500-S mentioned, my manual says FL-500-S.

Which one is the right filter?

Also, it looks like I did not get a Service booklet, just a small section in the back of the manual. Is that normal? With every other car/truck I have owned, there was separate service booklet.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:39 PM
CameronA710
Junior User
FL2055 is the correct one. Good luck. I hear changing the oil on the EcoBoost is lots and lots of fun !

Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reply!
Hmmm, this is really weird. I checked fordparts.com in the mean time, and they show the FL-500-S (like my manual), and it does not even find the FL2055 as part number.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 AM
rossn2
Freshman User
Ford sent out a TB on the EB filter..the 2055 is no longer applicable. And, it cost like $24 from the dealer..Use the FL500s

I use the FL500S and Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 in mine...no issues..

Take truck to dealer for first oil change cause the filter was put on with an Impact Wrench..only kidding!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 AM
ericbc7
Freshman User
why in the world would you insist on doing the first oil change yourself? oh well good luck. let the dealer do it and keep them liable for problems.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ericbc7
why in the world would you insist on doing the first oil change yourself? oh well good luck. Stupid in my opinion, let the dealer do it and keep them liable for problems.
I can think of a couple reasons.
1. Because their top technicians won't be doing the oil change the shop monkey will.
2. I read on another F150 forum about a few people that had the oil changed on their EB's at the dealership and they put 5w20 in them.

I also read about the dealership scratching the door on somebodys new truck during an oil change which required the door to be repainted.
Reasons like this is why I never take my truck to the dealership for anything that I'm capable of doing myself.But everyone has their opinion.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
why in the world would you insist on doing the first oil change yourself? oh well good luck.
The answer is simple: I would never have an oil change done at a place where I can not watch that it is done, and that it is done correctly. The shop monkeys at the dealership are no better than those at places like Jiffy Lube.
Another reason is that by the time I drive to the dealer, wait there, and then go back, I can probably do 3-4 oil changes in my driveway while saving a few bucks. A next reason is that I will learn more about my truck while doing this right.
I will go with M1 5W-30. If I pay for fully synthetic at the dealer, what do you think the chances are that the min wage teen actually reads the work order and then grabs the correct oil hose, both happening at the same time or in short order? Very slim if you ask me, LOL. Sad but true. Read all the reports about dealers putting 5W-20 into EB's, and that's just from the dealers admitting to it, if you know what I mean. You probably get straight dino oil pumped into your engine 50% of the time, and nobody can prove it, and if you could somehow prove it, it would be called an "honest mistake", LOL. I know a guy who used to do oil changes at a dealer, the stories are actually funny (not so much for the customers though, LOL).

Stupid in my opinion, let the dealer do it and keep them liable for problems.
When I do this myself, there won't be any reason to worry about problems. You are correct though, when you have it done at the dealer, there could be. This word, "liable", it is part of the reason why things are heading where they are heading in our country at the moment, IMO.
Look also what NASSTY said, it all applies. As he said, everybody has his own opinion on this, but doing your own oil change certainly does not fall into the "stupid" category, LOL.
To me, the question goes more like this: Why would somebody ever have an oil change done at the dealer? If you don't want to do it yourself, then there usually are much better small shops around where you can watch the mechanic doing it, and talk to him at the same time. So why the dealer? Forget liability, I don't think that applies. All you need to do is keep the receipts, in any case: dealer, self or independent shop.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Thanks everybody. It will be the FL-500-S then, looks like it's under 5 bucks!

My dealer offered me the first oil change for free, but I'll still do it myself. The dealer I bought from is 45 minutes away, though, to be honest here. Not sure what I'd do if he was the one just 10 minutes away, but I'd probably still do it myself, LOL.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
Thanks everybody. It will be the FL-500-S then, looks like it's under 5 bucks!

My dealer offered me the first oil change for free, but I'll still do it myself. The dealer I bought from is 45 minutes away, though, to be honest here. Not sure what I'd do if he was the one just 10 minutes away, but I'd probably still do it myself, LOL.
It's readily available at wallyworld along with the 5W-30 MC oil.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM
ericbc7
Freshman User
btw Sorry for the "stupid" remark. There are good reasons for doing it your way.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:22 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a customer with a brand new Eco-boost, he insists on using 0W-20 AmSoil in it. I think he's nuts.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 PM
tspangle84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I just bought a 6-pack of FL-500S filters on eBay for about $30 or so. Not really any cheaper than the local store, but more convenient not to have to go looking for one every time I do an oil change.

And yeah, changing oil on an EB is fun, though I will say the second time went much better. Gotta take ALL of those little covers and doors off!

I also installed one of these, should make it easier and less messy in the future: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I use Mobil 1 5W30 with the Motorcraft filters.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:36 PM
cnvF250
Senior User
Is there a video made for the tech folder yet of someone changing the oil on an Ecoboost. I here getting to the filter is a chore. I'm sure someone by now has come up with something to kepp from being messy.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 AM
michaeloac
Senior User
I just ordered them from amazon for $4.82, free shipping (if you have prime). Great deal got three of them. On another note, has mobil 1 changed their formula? The new bottle says advanced formula, where the old bottle doesn't.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 AM
rossn2
Freshman User
I have a customer with a brand new Eco-boost, he insists on using 0W-20 AmSoil in it. I think he's nuts
The Ecoboost requires 5w-30 not a 20w oil....

Are you an AMSOIL dealer?

Quick Reply: What is the correct oil filter for the EB?