Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

Twins or single 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:26 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
early spool and top end too. manifold or log ? inside diameter is all important, for early spool, however may have high drive pressure, IC? may have to compromise some where. or manual pop off boost control?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Brettboat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't waste your time with that IDI. Get a powerstroke or a cummins. IDI makes a good farm truck or work truck, but it's kinda like the Ford 400... IT's a gutless pig that can be made to be slightly less gutless, maybe even fast... But it's not worth it.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:30 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flainn
How are you planning to get a VGT turbo to work on an IDI? Gonna swap the computer over from a newer truck?
Would buy or build a standalone controller for it, but i doubt i got that route at this point.

The other new development... found and purchased an 8cyl p-pump, going to start around 250cc which with my new turbo math skillz puts me about right where i want to be for my compound setup.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Brettboat
Don't waste your time with that IDI. Get a powerstroke or a cummins. IDI makes a good farm truck or work truck, but it's kinda like the Ford 400... IT's a gutless pig that can be made to be slightly less gutless, maybe even fast... But it's not worth it.
To keep it civil ill simply say i disagree with you. I would say its more like the FE engines... still takes some work, but not given nearly the credit theyre due. As far as 7.3 vs 7.3 IMO its moot. PSD has more aftermarket, but to 500whp its a toss up, if anything the IDI would be cheaper.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:03 AM
88beast
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you go twins a psd setup will work great what is missed here is two major things. either way both suck in the same amount of air per rev and both have a similar rev limit. you need to consider the actual engine you are using (fuel etc) but as far as size goes and what turbo setup will spool the idi and psd will map the same.

general tip consider a 7.3 psd for the compound setup and if running parallel consider what is being done with the 4bt ( half the displacement) then figure for your specific setup. i have been looking into compounds for a while, well a little after russ started selling cams, and its hard finding a map for any compound setup, and as good as i am with turbos now, i still do not fully trust my calculations for a compound setup.

for your current setup a hx40 exhaust housing will slow down the boost, and make that better for what you are doing,

Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You ever called up Jim at Rosewood Diesel? he had triples on the PSD for awhile.

Try asking in the PSD section, they wont beat ya up to bad about it being an IDI. There are a few smart guys that know there turbo stuff around there.

Diesel Rod

Old 12-10-2013, 02:13 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 88beast
if you go twins a psd setup will work great what is missed here is two major things. either way both suck in the same amount of air per rev and both have a similar rev limit. you need to consider the actual engine you are using (fuel etc) but as far as size goes and what turbo setup will spool the idi and psd will map the same.

general tip consider a 7.3 psd for the compound setup and if running parallel consider what is being done with the 4bt ( half the displacement) then figure for your specific setup. i have been looking into compounds for a while, well a little after russ started selling cams, and its hard finding a map for any compound setup, and as good as i am with turbos now, i still do not fully trust my calculations for a compound setup.

for your current setup a hx40 exhaust housing will slow down the boost, and make that better for what you are doing,
Not quite following you here? As far as airflow / rpm that is really fuel/boost detirmined, not CID. VE also plays into this, an IDI flows quite a bit better than PSD.

All the reading ive done on compounds tells me that the HT60 should be perfect for the amount of fuel i want to run, maybe even a little small, but ive found that BEP makes a BMW for them. Also i stumbled across a 6.7 CTD running one in compounds and was making around 700 to the wheels. For the secondary im not sure what i will end up using, i know the HX35 might be on the small side, but thats what i have. Im looking at doing a 60mm wheel, or maybe even using the 088 of the 92. Still in the air and punching numbers, fast spool is not really my goal, in fact it would probably work against me. Just need something to get the HT60 blowin before 2800.

Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
You ever called up Jim at Rosewood Diesel? he had triples on the PSD for awhile.

Try asking in the PSD section, they wont beat ya up to bad about it being an IDI. There are a few smart guys that know there turbo stuff around there.

Diesel Rod
I originally posted this in the psd section... it got pretty ugly in there and the mods moved the post to the IDI section.... I left out the fact that it was IDI as long as possible and it still led to drama.