6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

custom egr mod this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:02 PM
thebeastof1980
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom egr mod this weekend.

Well i bought a 06 6.0 few months ago.. Ive been getting use to it charateristics. now im ready to get rid of that ugly egr soot in my intake .i am going to try a custome egr mod that keeps cooler inplace. Only I'm going to turn the cooler into liquid intercooler for clean air. Ive seen aftermarket parts for intake elbows that flow more air. and why not use more available air flow thats already there. just have to figure out how I'm gonna alter egr valve. from my experience of turbos. the discharge temp of turbo air under about 35 lbs boost will reach up to 485 deg f. that is data I collected from another engine. and I can add extra air flow to engine through egr cooler dropping it to engine coolant temp. sounds like I should get improvment to me. also . I believe it will eliminate possibility of egr cooler craking since extreme temp change from exhaust will be much lower. ultimately I want to reverse operation of egr valve so it closed when commanded and open when commanded closed. that will prevent higher than noraml air flow thru cooler when engine is not boosting. and flow when under load.thats my theory. then need to figure out how to fool msf for air flow. any way ill post my progress as weekend goes.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
This will be interesting for shure

I can See your theory are you gona add a second turbo

Being that the Moter is a Boosted moter the air is not going to just suck in like a Normaly aspired engine

And then say you do get more air to it wont you need a Bigger injectors to Bump the fuel ratio up

You will also need to ARP Stud it IMO

Kinda seams like alot of work when I think that you could acomplish the same thing with a Custom tunes

FYI my Intake manafold temps are Cooler than the ECT so that air really wont be all that cold

Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 PM
thebeastof1980
Junior User
Hey thanks for input. No I am not adding a turbo. actually my main goal is not high horespower. I feel like these engines can be very reliable long lasting engines. and thats what I want. I want egr deleted to eliminate soot and regain horse power that is lost due to wonderfull nox reduction stradegy of egr. i am really no expecting a lot of gain in top end due to egr closes to 5% under 100% throttle. and egr valve actually will dump boost when needed. I mau gain some horses. but not sure if will feel it inseat of pants. i hope to gain some fuel economy. and eliminate the high expectancy of egr cooler failure. wich i see usually failes from extreme high exhasut temps and cooling cycles these coolers see. over time leading to crack in core somwhere. i know air temp are cooler under normal conditions in intake. the higer the boost a turbo builds the temps of that discharge air rises very quick. and im reallly only expecting to flow air through cooler at higher boost. I;m curious what temps you monitor on intake. do you have temp sensor in intake manifold after intercooler in are you talking about air intake temp coming into turbo from air cleaner. Yes in reality it may be more work than its worth. I dont believe in spending more money in mods than engines. worth. i can build it. Im just out my labor and few supplies. I dont know for sure. I work on lot of heavy duty diesels and most of these engines have capability of supplying more fuel if then engine can get boost. the injectors usuallly have room for upgrade fuel trims. international may have this engine maxed out on horsepower for size of injectors. maybe someone could answer that. i reread your post and noticed you said intake maifold temps. have you watched these temps on dyno pull while under fulll load.. did you add temp sensor and gage.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by thebeastof1980
Hey thanks for input. No I am not adding a turbo. actually my main goal is not high horespower. I feel like these engines can be very reliable long lasting engines. and thats what I want. I want egr deleted to eliminate soot and regain horse power that is lost due to wonderfull nox reduction stradegy of egr. i am really no expecting a lot of gain in top end due to egr closes to 5% under 100% throttle. and egr valve actually will dump boost when needed. I mau gain some horses. but not sure if will feel it inseat of pants. i hope to gain some fuel economy. and eliminate the high expectancy of egr cooler failure. wich i see usually failes from extreme high exhasut temps and cooling cycles these coolers see. over time leading to crack in core somwhere..
Actully the egr coolers are cracking from Plugged Oil cooler
they are plumbed in a series oil cooler First then coolant goes to the EGR Cooler. when the oil cooler Plugs (coolant side) it starves the Egr cooler

Watch your ECT vs EOT spread if its kept within 15* spec they usually dont fail
You need some gauges if you dont have any its a specific test if you have gauges we can go thru it

i know air temp are cooler under normal conditions in intake. the higer the boost a turbo builds the temps of that discharge air rises very quick. and im reallly only expecting to flow air through cooler at higher boost.
Usually with an EGR Deleate alot of folks report Lower Boost #s
9 times out of 10^^^^^

. I;m curious what temps you monitor on intake. do you have temp sensor in intake manifold after intercooler in are you talking about air intake temp coming into turbo from air cleaner..
the 6.0 has 2 Temp sensors for air intake
1 in the Maf sensor
and 1 in the Intake Manafold

Originally Posted by thebeastof1980;11382617[quote=thebeastof1980
Yes in reality it may be more work than its worth. I dont believe in spending more money in mods than engines. worth. i can build it. Im just out my labor and few supplies..
.[/quote]

EGR Deleates are not that expensive

although you can weld plugs in the EGR Cooler exhaust side and just use the Cooler for a Coolant path and the Exhaust gases are blocked but you have to TIG weld stainless Lots of folks try but Fail at quality welds and the cooler leaks

[quote=thebeastof1980;11382617[quote=thebeastof1980;11382617]
Originally Posted by thebeastof1980;11382617
I dont know for sure. I work on lot of heavy duty diesels and most of these engines have capability of supplying more fuel if then engine can get boost. the injectors usuallly have room for upgrade fuel trims. international may have this engine maxed out on horsepower for size of injectors. maybe someone could answer that. i reread your post and noticed you said intake maifold temps. have you watched these temps on dyno pull while under fulll load.. did you add temp sensor and gage.[/quote

I have never seen them on a Dyno

You can get more out of the stock injectors power wise
bigger sticks you need to think about a Power Max Turbo

You CANNOT use the EGR Cooler for a Fresh air intake Due to the Fact its a BOOSTED Moter MAP Pressures are WAY to HIGH you would just push air out of it this is why I asked if you was going to add another Turbo or something

If I was you Id get some gauges and start studying some of these operating systems on the 6.0

heres a Good place to start

6.0L Bible Table of Contents

Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 PM
thebeastof1980
Junior User
I'm aware of oil cooler plugging causing what i call progressive damage to egr cooler. But in fact the cooler fails due to extreme temp that is caused from lack of coolant flow through egr cooler. if the egr cooler didnt have exhaust from engine flowing i doubt it would fail just from lack of coolant flow. you would simply have high oil temps. I have a cheap scan tool. that only shows live data for the fresh air intake temp. i cannot see manifold temp. You must have the ability to see that input.I am well aware of operating functions of this engine. I am not using cooler as fresh air intake. i am plumbing it of of turbo discharge. I,m not really sure what to expect as result. But cant hurt. I not sure what the air flow cfm of charge air system of these truck are. i Know there is some restriction. I saw on dyno that by simply replacing cac piping and intake elbow increased air flow enough for like 6 h.p so i figure if pressure diff of turbo charge on cac inlet side exceeds capacity of the cac system and pipes. that some boost would follow path of least resistance through cooler to intake. I may be copletely wrong. Im sure someone could figure resistance of both coolers and air volume at certain pressures and see if it would. Im just gonna try it and see what happens.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:10 AM
thebeastof1980
Junior User
Well the mod has turned into lot more work and few more problems But thats expected. I ended up decided to update stc fitting. glad i did. I discovered some knuckle head had put aftermarket oil filter cap on wich doesnt work with ford filter. Wonder how long its been like that. I just bought truck. I came up with grand idea for my egr valve. I'll show you all when i get done. It looks to me that on these engines. the logic of ecm uses air mass from maf sensor to montor egr flow. I know some engine that work this way. cause there is not delta p sensor or egr temp sensors. tahts only way i can see it knows if its folwing. someone enlighten me if they know. any way I,m riggin a way to fool it when egr is commanded %.
I just finished tear down and now ready to start back. Moving very slow.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
I am alittle more with ya since you explained it better with the Post on the 3rd

The Pcm uses MAT and EBP to sense the egr valve working or not

Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure the IAT2 sensor has something to do with it also.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
I'm sure the IAT2 sensor has something to do with it also.

The way I see it MAT (Manafold Air Temp) and IAT2 were the same sensor

As far as I know theres only 2 sensors for (IAT) IAT1 in the MAF and IAT2 in the Intake manafold

To the OP the EGR Deleate will more than likely trigger the CEL you may need a custom tune to turn the CEL off and may put the truck into Limp Mode

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
thebeastof1980
Junior User
I think thats right. just two temps. I have a plan that hopefully going to keep cel off. I will just have to drive it and see what happens.still working on mod just finished up update of stc lastnight now back where started with egr mod.