Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Freshman User

wills250psd is starting off with a positive reputation.
EGR,DPF DELETE AND TUNER

I got a price on a egr delete, dpf delete and H@S XRT PRO tuner. it was 978.63 delivered to my door. anybody got this same package? is the price fair? How do you like it? I am tired of the constant regen cycles and getting 5 gallons of oil out every 5K which is 5 quarts of fuel. I need this truck to last a very long time a little more power is ok but I dont want to run 2-3 hundred more hp, maybe 50-100 or so. my truck is a 08 with around 50K now. any info and personal experience needed. Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Senior User

pyro2nite is starting off with a positive reputation.
Deleting the DOC/DPF is going to help your engine life allot. Mine went from 4.5% fuel in the oil to >.5. I only run a 75 HP tune and feel I can turn over 350,000 miles plus with the set up.
2008 F250SC SB 3:73 6 Speed Manual FX4 Mini Maxx, S&B, KEM Custom Tune
Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2nite View Post
Deleting the DOC/DPF is going to help your engine life allot. Mine went from 4.5% fuel in the oil to >.5. I only run a 75 HP tune and feel I can turn over 350,000 miles plus with the set up.
forgive me im not sure what the DOC is and are you running the setup im looking at? by the way the egr and dpf I was quoted was a sinister product. thanks for any info
Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Senior User

Strokin-A-2010 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go talk to Aaron at Rudy's diesel performance. That's where I got everything in my sig plus the stuff you want.

Spartan tuner all tunes up to 350 hp, 5 inch DPF delete, 4 inch down pipe, AFE stage 2 intake, Cold side piping, leveling kit, Rudy's EGR delete, Air Dog II
Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills250psd View Post
forgive me im not sure what the DOC is and are you running the setup im looking at? by the way the egr and dpf I was quoted was a sinister product. thanks for any info
The DOC is the cat converter. I'm running a Mini with a custom KEM tune. Call Aaron at Rudy's, that is where I got my set up.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Junior User

gambling209 is starting off with a positive reputation.
who rights the tunes in the tuner. that to me is what you need to know. then check on that. the egr delete parts are just simple parts. would think it would really matter who makes them. then the exhaust. i would replace the whole thing. get rid of the dpf and the cat. take the until out as a whole piece. break exhaust before it goes over the rear axle. that way you can put it back on if you need service work. i don't run that tuner but drove mine the other day stock and hated it. you will love a tuned truck. run the bigger tunes. my experience is higher hp, higher milage. just don't beat on the truck and you will probably be fine.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambling209 View Post
who rights the tunes in the tuner. that to me is what you need to know. then check on that. the egr delete parts are just simple parts. would think it would really matter who makes them. then the exhaust. i would replace the whole thing. get rid of the dpf and the cat. take the until out as a whole piece. break exhaust before it goes over the rear axle. that way you can put it back on if you need service work. i don't run that tuner but drove mine the other day stock and hated it. you will love a tuned truck. run the bigger tunes. my experience is higher hp, higher milage. just don't beat on the truck and you will probably be fine.
I was under the impresion that the tuner I am looking at has certain tunes HP/TQ three or four of them are you saying you can put custom tunes in the tunner I am looking at? I am not new to ford diesels but have never tuned one before so this is new to me. thanks for any info.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Junior User

gambling209 is starting off with a positive reputation.
not real familiar with h&s. but that has been the way i understood it works. call the rudy's listed above. he sells the two main tuners you hear most about and can give the good and bad for each.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Senior User

Each tuner comes with differant tunes. Some also come with differant trans/converter tunes. I know H&S and Spartan can have tunes written by other people. Start with the ones in the tuner, get a feel of what you want, check the boards for info, and go from there. I would start with the lower tunes, then work up. Just removing the DOC/DPF with a HP tune will impress you.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
I don't have an H&S but based on what research I've done they have three models. I think the XRT is the lower level product with a mini max and a black max. The black max being their top model. There is a post on here with some negatives on the lower level H&S. (I think that's the XRT but I am not positive). Negatives were lack of digital readouts which you get with most tuners and will want if you're going to run tunes. And only oral isntructions for down loading the tunes. It's a recent post so if you dig arount you should be able to find it and lots of other info on this forum. I bought a used racing edge and it's working fine after 5000+ miles. If you will spend an hour or two reading the 6.4 forum you will learn all about tuners and lots of other things about this truck. To delete I agree, buy a one piece pipe to delete the dpf and doc together. Did mine in a couple hours and I'm 69 so you know it's not hard work. The EGR is the most difficult part and doesn't need removed to get the dpf deleted. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Junior User

KPBJJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is the 1 piece dpf/doc delete better than the ones they sell that come in 2 pieces? I'm in the market for one and it seems like the 2piece ones are cheaper.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Posting Guru

jasfaa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not really, just one piece versus two. Alot of times the one piece ones are 4 or 5 inch constant diameter. The cat comes out at 3.5 inches. I would have preferred a one piece just to make things easier but then again, two pieces made it easier to hang on the truck while on the ground then tighten up after everything lined up.
Past Vehicle
2004 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 6.0L
Banks 4" Monster Exhaust w/Six Gun
Old 04-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
My advice would be to ride in some friends tuned trucks, and see what you like.

I love the spartan setup myself, but I've only ridden in trucks with spartan or H&S.

The lower HP tunes might not yield what you want or expect, I thought I wanted a stock tune without EGR or DPF, but I ended up running the 275 tune, and the truck runs better in absolutely every way now. I don't race, just day to day driving the truck is way better.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...0-project.html
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Freshman User

sville6.4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
askins3097
Instead of the delete pipe get a straight 4" down pipe back from Diamond Eye. Their prices are cheap, and its good quality stainless steel. Plus it's easy to install. I used this plus the XRT pro on stock setting, no tune just the dpf/egr delete. It was a day and night difference. I haven't messed around with any other tunes yet. I'm going to wait until I replace the clutch, when the stock one goes, with a higher hp rated one to mess with some higher hp tunes.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Posting Guru

jasfaa is starting off with a positive reputation.
The only reason to do a 4" pipe all the way back is preference. I have not spoken to one person yet here in WA who has done a DPF delete only that has had issues with EGT's towing up the mountains with serious weight which has always been my gauge on these types of things. Basically what I am saying is if you want a full exhaust get one but its not necessary to lower EGT's to a very safe level. Plus its an extra expense. I actually would prefer a single pipe coming out but opted out because it wasnt necessary.
Past Vehicle
2004 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 6.0L
Banks 4" Monster Exhaust w/Six Gun
Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM