Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key wont turn far enough to start

Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
DeerParkBronco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
key wont turn far enough to start

Ive ran some searches but only find stuff on tilt steering columns. I have an 89 full size bronco and the key turns but wont start the truck and it doesnt spring back. the previous owner connected a button to the solenoid so you turn the key on and press the button to start. I also want to fix how the steering wheel wiggles up and down like something is loose near the top of the column. I am prestty capable and have plenty of tools.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:37 PM
DeerParkBronco
New User
also, this is an automatic with the column shifter which isnt locking. It can be switched anywhere while the key is still off.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The key switch is connected to the ign switch (bolted to the column, under the dash) by a pot metal link called the column lock actuator and a metal rod. It is a good bet that the lock acutator is broken. You need to pull the steering wheel, the turn signal plate and the column shroud to get to it. It is about a $12.00 part and it also locks the shifter in Park.
Possibly the upper column bearing is bad but you could inspect that when getting to the actuator.
There is a good write up here about replacing the actuator I will try to find it for you.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-actuator.html Click on this link and read the post by jas88.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
DeerParkBronco
New User
thanks, looks like a good write up. so is the actuator the same part for the tilt and non, tilt? some threads I read said it was for tilt only, otheres said both use it...

Old 02-03-2012, 02:31 PM
popupJunky
Freshman User
Its your shift interlock, I just had the same thing happen with my 91 F-250. It's very common but not to hard to fix. You will have to go to ford for the part(at least thats the only place I could get it) they will know exactly what it is. It's around $30.00 here in Canada. You will have to remove the steering wheel with a wheel puller(can rent or buy for fairly cheap). Once removed, unscrew your turn indicator out of the column. Unscrew the screws holding the turn indicator mechanism, pull of over the column. There should be three more screws holding the ignition cylinder. I found it easier to remove with the cylinder removed, which is done by turning the key to the run position(has to be there for the whole procedure) then there is a little pin underneath the cylinder that you push in with a small screw driver and it should just come out. Once thats of you should see the interlock it looks kinda like an L with the lower part curved to the side(will most likely be in two peices) you will need to push the roll pin out which links it to a rod going down the column. If you just push that rod towards the front of the truck it should start the truck then pull it back to shut it off. Once the roll pin is out(save for the new interlock) remove the curved piece, then for the interlock you need the column as straight as possible and remove with needle nose pliers. When putting in the new one I couldn't get it in so I just took my pliers and broke off the solid piece at the end that goes towards the dash and have had no problems. Slide the new interlock in the square slot. Reinstall the rod with the old roll pin, now you should be to push the interlock and start the truck. Now comes the hard parts get piece that moves when you turn the key pushes the interlock. With the key in the run position you should be able to put the piece on the interlock and then put the cylinder assembly on and slowly turn the key back to pull the assembly back into place. This took quiet a bit of playing around to get it to go back together right once you get it to where you think its good hold the assembly against the column so it cant move and try and start the truck, if it starts put everything back together, if not take it off and try and reposition it. It took me three or four attempts to do this dont get discouraged though eventually you will get it. It also doesnt hurt to put a little bit of light oil on all the moving parts to keep it from breaking for longer, but dont use to much or it will just attract dirt. Also when I did mine I had to replace the lock cylinder because I could spin mine 360 degrees, the little piece that turns the gear broke. Any questions on specifics if you get stuck just ask.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Non- tilt is different. Haven`t done one but I would think your problem is the upper actuator and lock cylinder gear. You are going to have to go through the same stuff except ignore the bit about the tilt mechanism. So follow the instructions from popup.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM
DeerParkBronco
New User
Thanks, I should have no trouble doing this, I'll take it apart and see what I find.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
DeerParkBronco
New User
now I feel stupid. it is a tilt, I was pulling on the lever instead of pushing. I was always a chevy boy til now. Lol

Old 02-03-2012, 03:57 PM
popupJunky
Freshman User
It's okay same thing happened to me. I didnt know i had tilt till I took it apart and found that the lever just didnt work, I had to move it with a screw driver to tilt it.