Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: That guy with the Orange Truck

Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 AM
1995F150XLT4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice truck. Cool thread.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 AM
mefast
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick, that tail gate look awesome! What year is it off of? Any fabrication needed to make it fit?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Originally Posted by mefast
Nick, that tail gate look awesome! What year is it off of? Any fabrication needed to make it fit?
Its off of an 87-91 ford truck, the only years they made them. It dropped right in; no mods required.

And thanks guys!

Its been a long 5 months but I think I can officially say its nearly done. It will always be a work in progress.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:33 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks great Nick really nice, that truck "fits" that hood now too!!

What are you doing for bumpers?

(wish to heck I'd bought a 87-91 tail gate now) I do like the look of nothing on one the "clean" look no lettering nothing like have on my 95 XLT. But now seeing yours i'm thinking that style would have been the better fit for my 97 XL. I do like the stamped in lettering over the painted on look regardless.

Was going to do the That little dude pissing on that C emblem in vinyl in the center of my 95's gate, nice clean slate that it is to work with, couldn't settle on a color vinyl I like to go with it but that wouldn't clash with anything else doing so.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Originally Posted by danr1
Looks great Nick really nice, that truck "fits" that hood now too!!

What are you doing for bumpers?

(wish to heck I'd bought a 87-91 tail gate now) I do like the look of nothing on one the "clean" look no lettering nothing like have on my 95 XLT. But now seeing yours i'm thinking that style would have been the better fit for my 97 XL. I do like the stamped in lettering over the painted on look regardless.

Was going to do the That little dude pissing on that C emblem in vinyl in the center of my 95's gate, nice clean slate that it is to work with, couldn't settle on a color vinyl I like to go with it but that wouldn't clash with anything else doing so.
Im waiting until I find the "perfect" ones but Im coming up short. I want some nice painted ones that look aggressive but not like Road Armor aggressive. Yeah Im picky lol.

Yeah I searched high and low for a gate that says FORD. The stock cleanflat ones look nice too; I've never been a fan of the ones with the 6 holes for the silver panel.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
fordboy97
Senior User
Whoa! That truck is beautiful man I love the color.

Tanner

Old 08-02-2014, 09:50 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickk97tml
Im waiting until I find the "perfect" ones but Im coming up short. I want some nice painted ones that look aggressive but not like Road Armor aggressive. Yeah Im picky lol.

Yeah I searched high and low for a gate that says FORD. The stock cleanflat ones look nice too; I've never been a fan of the ones with the 6 holes for the silver panel.

Yea I've always felt making the front bumper part of the body, an extension to the fenders on a truck a bad idea, somewhat limits what can be done and makes making it look good doing so very hard to do especially for the average joe with limited tooling to work with.

Trucks are trucks its bumper shouldn't be a continuation of the fender like on a car, a brick with round corners is still a brick. Bumpers on trucks are utilitarian in nature shouldn't have deviated from that, body is the body bumper is the bumper.

Newer models are even worse, that whole front end thing, I gotta laugh every time I drive by the dealer down the road, a sold "wall" of em lining the sidewalk. Then the chrome on em, they ever hear "to much of a good thing"? its waaaaaaaay over done to point looks silly.

That silver panel never did care for that thing, its needing the gate replaced at the time or not that panel had to go regardless. I made double sure ordering the new one that it would not have those holes in it, I was not putting the panel back on.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Originally Posted by fordboy97
Whoa! That truck is beautiful man I love the color.

Tanner
Thanks bud!

Originally Posted by danr1
Yea I've always felt making the front bumper part of the body, an extension to the fenders on a truck a bad idea, somewhat limits what can be done and makes making it look good doing so very hard to do especially for the average joe with limited tooling to work with.

Trucks are trucks its bumper shouldn't be a continuation of the fender like on a car, a brick with round corners is still a brick. Bumpers on trucks are utilitarian in nature shouldn't have deviated from that, body is the body bumper is the bumper.

Newer models are even worse, that whole front end thing, I gotta laugh every time I drive by the dealer down the road, a sold "wall" of em lining the sidewalk. Then the chrome on em, they ever hear "to much of a good thing"? its waaaaaaaay over done to point looks silly.

That silver panel never did care for that thing, its needing the gate replaced at the time or not that panel had to go regardless. I made double sure ordering the new one that it would not have those holes in it, I was not putting the panel back on.
Yea Im actually throwing the idea around of just buying a stock bumper and painting it orange. Im trying to steer away from chrome everything looks too ricey. You said you drive by the dealer and you see the trucks chromed out? I think the automakers are trying to steer away fromit aswell. The new fx4 fords have not a single piece of chrome on them.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
New tiregate spare tire holder installed and useless; have no spare tire.

Daystar shock armor

Nicely cleaned interior

Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good Nick. I'm loving those fender flares, who makes them? I may put them on my Christmas list after I get the lift in.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jarryd
Looking good Nick. I'm loving those fender flares, who makes them? I may put them on my Christmas list after I get the lift in.
Bushwacker street flares, you can get wider ones too.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
I'm liking everything BUT that HUGE tach... Factory cluster with tach? Please...

Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 PM
87-XL-Squared
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evan_P
I'm liking everything BUT that HUGE tach... Factory cluster with tach? Please...
I think it looks great plus you need to know when you approach 8500rpm to shift, so the tach is highly functional. Not like the factory tach with its wimpy redline. And BTW his cluster doesn't appear to have a tach?

I'm a huge fan of the 87-91 tailgates with the big F O R D dimples. On my 91 XLT that has the aluminum tailgate piece I will pull that off and have the body shop weld up the mounting holes an smooth it all back out so it looks like an XL tailgate. After looking at yours I may not letter the F O R D. I like the way that looks after seeing yours.

In 92 and above there were no more big F O R D dimples, whether you had an XLT trim piece or not. The 87-91 8th gen "brick nose" were the ones with those cool 'gates.

Truck is seriously bad ***, thanks for sharing all the love you poured into her. We very much appreciate the thread bro!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
I meant for him to go to a scrap yard and get one with a tach.... Heck I'll even go find him one if he wants...

Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 87-XL-Squared
I think it looks great plus you need to know when you approach 8500rpm to shift, so the tach is highly functional. Not like the factory tach with its wimpy redline. And BTW his cluster doesn't appear to have a tach?

Originally Posted by Evan_P
I meant for him to go to a scrap yard and get one with a tach.... Heck I'll even go find him one if he wants...
Its an automatic.. so its pretty much useless and outrageous. Evans right, but I dig outrageous soo....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build Thread: That guy with the Orange Truck