Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: That guy with the Orange Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming your optima is the 34/78 or similar that has both top and side posts? I believe the cover is included to isolate the top posts for situations when the side posts are used and the top posts are not. One thing to note: the side posts are not rated for full current draw like the top posts. The side terminals are only connected by a flat metal strap running just beneath the plastic shell of the battery. IIRC, the continuous rating is around 75A.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bootmaker
I have a blaze orange 1992 F250 4x4 5.8L Custom Windsor made in Ontario.

I bought it for getting in and out of places my 2004 ford ranger gets stuck. I also have a 1000lb lift-gate on the back that helps me loads things I could not otherwise handle my self.

It is a tough truck with leaf springs on the front and back.

I noticed you say your is orange but the pics look like a brown.

At 60 mph I run at 1,500 rpm. The truck is very heavy as it is a heavy duty O/86000 lbs.

What kind of MPG are you getting after re-gearing your truck?
Originally Posted by DIYiT
I'm assuming your optima is the 34/78 or similar that has both top and side posts? I believe the cover is included to isolate the top posts for situations when the side posts are used and the top posts are not. One thing to note: the side posts are not rated for full current draw like the top posts. The side terminals are only connected by a flat metal strap running just beneath the plastic shell of the battery. IIRC, the continuous rating is around 75A.
That would make sense, as to why it would not fit with the terminals connected, thanks. Although it would be nice to have a cover for it.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Things a dremal can do. I remember someone that made it work. He was over on FTW.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM
bootmaker
Senior User
A lot of good replies. Keep it up. Your truck looks great.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
well, another update i suppose.
I changed the gear oil after about 500 miles to cycle out all the metal shavings from the gear break in. Was going to put the 33's on but winter is being stubborn as hell.

Here she is all salty in the garage, im putting dual exhaust on the stang to the left.

I ordered some new Polk audio 6.5" door speakers from crutchfield. When I got my new deck, the audio could be optimized to almost twice as loud as a stock deck but the stock speakers didn't take too kindly to this, I ended up blowing the passenger one.

I really recommend crutchfield because there selection is awesome - you get free wiring harnesses adapters so you dont have to crimp or solder the speakers - and the website tells you exactly how each speaker will fit in your vehicle.

Free wiring harness included - hooks right up to stock harness

I got that modern looking cab light cover with LED bulb from LMC

got some new trim panel retainers because i noticed the trim doesn't stay flush with the door

and new mirrors, because FoMoCo ones cant last one Canadian winter, I swear some parts out there are made for salt free - snow free - 80 degree sunday driving, and thats it

oh and new welder with cart for my bday

Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM
BiGGreen350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cool stuff let us know how those speakers do

Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great looking truck

I agree, Crutchfield is the way to go when it comes to car speakers. I put some Pioneers in mine last year, they have great products and excellent service.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Hey Nick, truck is still coming along great I see! I have just recently become active again, after a few months of silence from me. But I still have the truck, and have big plans for it this summer (body work/new paint job) and I don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon.

But how come your truck still hasn't been converted to 4x4 yet?

Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Got a nice camera window mount so I made a video of the rpm at speed playing around with OD on/off. I wanted to make this to compare the rpm of my summer tires 33". In the video I have 235's on it.

Originally Posted by BiGGreen350
cool stuff let us know how those speakers do
will do thanks

Originally Posted by Fastback460
Great looking truck

I agree, Crutchfield is the way to go when it comes to car speakers. I put some Pioneers in mine last year, they have great products and excellent service.
its one of those rare companies that are just damn good

Originally Posted by minnesotafisherman
Hey Nick, truck is still coming along great I see! I have just recently become active again, after a few months of silence from me. But I still have the truck, and have big plans for it this summer (body work/new paint job) and I don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon.

But how come your truck still hasn't been converted to 4x4 yet?
yes ! dont get rid of it!

oh and im waiting for you to do the conversion...

Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
got the speakers in, thanks to crutchfield, I did not have to splice, cut or drill anything!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I seeing right or did you mount tweeters in the overhead light? If not, I think it's a brilliant idea to do it.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jarryd
Am I seeing right or did you mount tweeters in the overhead light? If not, I think it's a brilliant idea to do it.
oh no, I didnt buy tweeters, just wanted to show the new cover for the map light. good idea tho

Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 PM
bootmaker
Senior User
Do you have cruise control on your truck? I would love (need) to see how the vacuum lines are run.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Originally Posted by bootmaker
Do you have cruise control on your truck? I would love (need) to see how the vacuum lines are run.
yea its got cruise...

So putting on the 33's I noticed scarring on the front rotors, specifically only the inside of the rotor, notice the outside is in good shape... keep in mind I replaced these only last spring (with pads)... you can feel the scarring while braking
Back side:

front side:

Back side pads are toast, how come they wear on an angle (hard to see)

yet the front side pads are almost like new? lots of meat still left on em

calipers arent looking to good either

Is this a caliper problem? i suppose I should order new calipers.

new rotors, seals, hardware and pads, raybestos, timken and ac delco

Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 PM
bootmaker
Senior User
Did you get the front end realigned? i would expect it to need a tow and camber adjustment. Especially if it were off a little in the first place.

It also seems to me that maybe the caliper needs to be switched out to a heavier dusty model. They may be bending. My calipers are for the over 8600lb 3/4 ton truck. I do not know if they would work on yours.

Quick Reply: Build Thread: That guy with the Orange Truck