6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

The "Death Wobble"

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:44 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Dieseldan001
New User
Death wobble

I'm experiencing the death wobble myself. Just lifted mine 8" on 37s, I'm sure it has encouraged it to happen. Need to get a dual steering stabilizer, and I know my ball joints are worn, it's a sketchy ride for sure. I just wanted to point out to the guys who have yet to cure yours or may not have the money to yet, but it is possible to learn or get used to driving with this issue at hand. I've learned which speeds higher or lower to avoid it, I know for sure going on or off bridges could set it off, do NOT hit any pot holes for the life of you, don't drive like it's all normal, it's not. I just get used to the fact my truck could have front end spasms at any moment in time from these driving hazards, I try n see my way around it. Although, I will be fixing it very soon. Hope this helps some guys out there, I know it's terrifying to experience this.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Above is a link to a Jeep related death wobble issue; but it is the best article I have seen on the subject. With a solid front axle, the issues will be the same. About 75% of the time, DW is related to the track bar, either the bushings are worn, or the mounting holes are elongated, or the mounting hardware is just plain loose. As shown in the link, it is best to attack the problem systematically to eliminate causes one step at a time. It isn't a Ford problem, nor a 4wd problem, but can happen with any vehicle with a solid front axle. The first time I experienced it was in a 2wd 3/4 ton IH pickup.
Personally, I would completely remove the steering stabilizer until the problem is resolved. I would then get under the vehicle with a pry bar, and start pulling and prying on everything steering / front suspension related and look for any unwanted movement and start there. Once the DW problem is resolved, then reinstall the steering stabilizer.
The best to you and yours.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:00 PM
sladie42
New User
Angry Death Wobble

I have a 2012 F350 Diesel with 54,000 miles on it and the death wobble has hit me. I have been to the dealership and they took air out of the tires to the point my sensor "low tire pressure" went off. The wobble hit me hard on interstate 91 in Hartford. Shhok so bad I had to slow to 10 MPH on the highway in the city with no breakdown lane.

I have contacted Ford, but getting generic responses about getting the tire pressure adjustment set at the dealership

I would like to start a class action lawsuit. This is absolutely a safety hazard.

Please send me an email at sladie42@yahoo.com with your contact info. I am not going to sit back and live with this. I spent over $50,000 on a vehicle over a year ago and cannot accept or live with this death wobble. I will contact a lawyer and see where it will go.

The question is: "Who will take on the giant"

Glenn Slade

Old 12-23-2014, 03:27 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by sladie42
I have a 2012 F350 Diesel with 54,000 miles on it and the death wobble has hit me. I have been to the dealership and they took air out of the tires to the point my sensor "low tire pressure" went off. The wobble hit me hard on interstate 91 in Hartford. Shhok so bad I had to slow to 10 MPH on the highway in the city with no breakdown lane.

I have contacted Ford, but getting generic responses about getting the tire pressure adjustment set at the dealership

I would like to start a class action lawsuit. This is absolutely a safety hazard.

Please send me an email at sladie42@yahoo.com with your contact info. I am not going to sit back and live with this. I spent over $50,000 on a vehicle over a year ago and cannot accept or live with this death wobble. I will contact a lawyer and see where it will go.

Glenn Slade
Welcome to FTE...

Old 12-23-2014, 03:45 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,193 Likes on 573 Posts

Glenn Slade
In the time it took you to type that you could have gone to Amazon and ordered the cure for $75 shipped. Steering stabilizers are a wear items just like your regular shocks. You got 54,000 miles out of the first one. Not bad. Now order a premium replacement, have a Merry Christmas, and forget all the suing the giant nonsense....

Linky to what you need...
Amazon.com: Bilstein 24-196284 46mm Monotube Steering Damper: Automotive Amazon.com: Bilstein 24-196284 46mm Monotube Steering Damper: Automotive

Old 12-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
In the time it took you to type that you could have gone to Amazon and ordered the cure for $75 shipped. Steering stabilizers are a wear items just like your regular shocks. You got 54,000 miles out of the first one. Not bad. Now order a premium replacement, have a Merry Christmas, and forget all the suing the giant nonsense....

Linky to what you need... Amazon.com: Bilstein 24-196284 46mm Monotube Steering Damper: Automotive
I looked on Amazon, the site claims it won't fit my 06 f350 crew. I have Rancho 9000 on the rear and 5000's in front. I should probably look at the rancho 5000 stabilizer I guess

Old 12-23-2014, 05:21 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
06? What truck do you have

Old 12-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
06? What truck do you have
Not sure what you need. I said 06 F350 Crew. It has a 6.0L and 4x4.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby-GT-500
Not sure what you need. I said 06 F350 Crew. It has a 6.0L and 4x4.
Wrong section boss! The fix might apply to all years, but it may not.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:56 PM
sladie42
New User
DW

Wow thats a great video if I was a mechanic and had a few thousand dollars worth of tools. It was very informative and would pay someone to install this stuff, but I have a 125,000 mile warranty. I am sure Ford would love to have an excuse for the wobble.

I do want to get tires and wheels, but I really need to resolve this wobble at the dealership so warranty will not be in question.

Any thoughts on the largest tire without issues. - with zero off-set Maybe a Toyo AT 305/55/20 or Nitto Terra 295/60/20.

Will lift kit void warranty on front end?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires seemed to fix my death wobble

This past February I changed out my second set of 20" Michelin A/Ts to Michelin M/S2's. Since the change I've had no wobble or any sensation of the wobble. Prior to the change I had the truck into the dealer couple times without success. I won't claim this would be a fix for others but it sure did the trick for me.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-24-2014, 06:53 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,193 Likes on 573 Posts
Wow thats a great video if I was a mechanic and had a few thousand dollars worth of tools. It was very informative and would pay someone to install this stuff, but I have a 125,000 mile warranty. I am sure Ford would love to have an excuse for the wobble.

I do want to get tires and wheels, but I really need to resolve this wobble at the dealership so warranty will not be in question.

Any thoughts on the largest tire without issues. - with zero off-set Maybe a Toyo AT 305/55/20 or Nitto Terra 295/60/20.

Will lift kit void warranty on front end?
You don't need any special tools to change the front stabilizer. If you'd rather beat up Ford, have them replace your worn stocker with a new Ford unit under warranty. Then you're good for another 50k miles. I'm rather surprised your dealer hasn't done this already. It's the obvious answer to your issue. Personally I'd rather have a high end aftermarket unit rather than another sub-par stock unit. Especially since it's so cheap to upgrade. YMMV...

PS: Just a thought. Ask your dealer to install a Bilstein stabilizer that you buy and supply to them. You save the work of installing it yourself. The dealer saves providing the warranty part. Win win...

Old 12-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tofan
Wrong section boss! The fix might apply to all years, but it may not.
Been doing some research. Seems in 03 the Ford went to the coils in front from leafs. Since then no update to the major front end parts.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 AM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
heres my thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-bounce.html

Im thinking about replacing my shocks with some ranchos, what does the forum recommend? Pretty frustrated with ford... They already replaced my front suspension components about a month ago. Still have the death wobble. I love my truck, having said that I dont really trust that it will safely drive on the road. I won't put my family in it if its still doing this. I really don't want to get a newer truck but If this is still going to happen I have no other choice.

Quick Reply: The "Death Wobble"