1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to gooseneck towing! Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Dodgerrrrrr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to gooseneck towing! Advice?

Hello, fellow enthusiasts! I'm new to the site, but not new to Super Dutys. Duties? Dutys...how would that be spelled?

Anyway. I have a lot of experience towing conventional trailers. 18ft @ 15k? No problem. However, I have never pulled a goose. My truck is set up for it, and I understand the concept, but I just didn't know if there was anything to look out for when I go to pick this trailer up. Is this just like anything else - just throw myself into the fire and learn it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Dodger

2011 F-350 6.7L Turbo Diesel

Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
watch going over humps and uneven ground that the neck dosent get on the tailgate.also watch when backing trailer at an angle the neck doesnt get into your cab especilly if you have a crew or club cab with short bed

Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
learn to swing around corners. A gooseneck won't track like a conventional will.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 PM
gdn
Senior User
Depending on what type of gooseneck set-up it is, watch the clearance between the tailgate and front of the trailer when backing up to it. If it has a single center support leg make sure it is all the way up before you drive off or it will drag if you go across any kind of dip in the road. When you unhook make sure you don't forget to drop the tailgate before pulling away. I know that sounds pretty obvious but I've seen a lot of smashed tailgates from people getting in a hurry. And really heed TexasRebel's advice - swing a lot wider than you think you need to because a goose will not track anything like a bumper pull trailer. Once you get on the road, you'll be surprised at how much more stable they tow. Have fun and be safe. Welcome to FTE.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Mark250
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Get in a habit of making sure you have the coupler locked & safety chains hooked up if it has them. Make sure the brakes are working good. Don't forget the tailgate. Never happened to me yet but I am terrified of forgetting to put the tailgate down & pulling away after unhooking. I think the rule is 15-20% pin weight where a bumper trailer is like 10%. I have learned to look at where my overloads are and adjust to position of the load from that, just make sure you have enough pin weight. When backing the trailer into an opening for example, pull the truck past the opening & turn sharp when the trailer axles are at the opening. This will get you lined up pretty good without a bunch of maneuvering.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Dodgerrrrrr
New User
Awesome, just the advice and insight I was looking for. Thanks guys!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
deck60
Senior User
there are several nice things about having a goose-neck they pull better back up nicer and when you friend with a SUV wants to borrow your trailer well then its sorry its a goose-neck and I don't lend out my truck

Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
adbscu
Senior User
as others have said

-Swing wide

-remember the tailgate

-watch for angles when going up/down significant hills

What kind of trailer will you be towing? we move from a BP 22ft horse trailer to a 30ft GN and there is no comparison on the way it tows

Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Towing with a gooseneck is THE only way to tow

Old 02-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Dodgerrrrrr
New User
"Towing with a gooseneck is THE only way to tow"

@UGA33 - Hahahaha, I'll find out if that's true soon enough!

"What kind of trailer will you be towing?"

@adbscu - I'll be pulling this Big Tex - a 32'

Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Tow a hooper trailer exactly like that all the time. Those dual tandems are gonna be nice!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unlike a conventional trailer, airbags will actually improve your ride quality since your hitch point is forward of the axle.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 PM
tap1946
Junior User
Towing with a gooseneck

I am towing a 12,500# (loaded) fifth wheel with a gooseneck and my 2006 F350SD Crew Cab Diesel with 8 ft bed. With the 8 ft bed, I can turn the truck almost 90 degrees to the trailer with the tailgate down and still have clearance throughout the swing. Others are right in saying that the track will be much different than a bumper mount trailer; both in forward motion turning and in backing. Advice of others on turning seems to match my experience.

My gooseneck adapter is adjustable for height. Slightly increasing the height of the trailer above the ball when connected shifted some weight to the dual axles and improved towing for me. Have noticed with a fifth wheel and gooseneck adapter that it is easy to put the bottom of the overhang down on your bed rails if you get into a situation where the truck and trailer are on uneven ground that causes one to lean more than the other. Experience will teach you how to recognize this situation and deal with it. In the meantime, just watch your mirrors carefully.

I have a short paper checklist that I use when hooking up or unhooking. I physically check off items with a pencil as I go. I have yet to damage a tailgate because I forgot to put it up or down. Some people simply remove the tailgate when they are towing for any extended period.

I also am in the habit of always checking the coupler lock handle on the cable after walking away from my truck for any reason - fuel, fuel, restroom, etc. Unfortunately, the world is full of too many jerks who would think it funny to reach over and disconnect your coupler as a joke.

I've towed about 2000 miles with mine and haven't had any problems.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 PM
BNSONS
Cross-Country
I’ve pulled a 36’ gooseneck race trailer for 10 years, I just remove my tailgate. One thing I do is attach a bungee to the plug in cable & just hook the bungee to my bumper that way it doesn’t hang down too far in case you run over a retread also put a tie wrap around the plug to keep it in place.
Dave
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3

Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Dodgerrrrrr
New User
Perfect! Thanks guys

Quick Reply: New to gooseneck towing! Advice?