1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

NEWBIE TO F1 RESTO

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 PM
cdichiar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEWBIE TO F1 RESTO

HELLO ALL! I RECENTLY PURCHASED A '50 F1 FOR RESTORATION. THIS WILL BE MY 1ST RESTO. I JUMPED INTO THIS PROJECT WITH THE HEART AND DESIRE TO OWN AND BRING TO LIFE A BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF AMERICANA. I FEEL A LITTLE OVERWHELMED WITH THE PROJECT AND AM LOOKING FOR INPUT ON WHERE TO START. IT MIGHT MIGHT SEEM AS THOUGH I AM IN OVER MY HEAD (BECAUSE I AM), BUT I HAVE THE DESIRE TO COMPLETE THIS PROJECT, WHICH I WILL, SO I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY INPUT. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome!

First, lets ease up on all CAPS. Second, please update your geographical location through the User CP link in the header at the top left of the screen. Third, tell us more about the certain issues that you're having and we'll help you along. We've all been in your position (and some of us still are), but we deal and cope through it together. What are you plans for the truck? What condition is your truck in? Do you want a ground up restoration or just a driver? Does it run now? Etc. This will help us help you get a plan of action together. We're a virtual team of restorers that specialize in different parts of the restoration process.

Think of us also as an addiction coping group. We help each other out when one is feeling overwhelmed.

Let's begin our session. Mine name is... and I'm a truckaholic.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the site, I know what your feeling because I started the same way, Bought a truck with no skill, no tools, no money, and no clue. This is the perfect place for you. There are so many folk hear that love to help with any questions. What 51PanelMan is saying is for us to be able to help you we need to know what you have, pictures of your truck are a good way for folks to get an idea of what you have, what you need, and what you want to do to your truck, ect. He will probably be one of the first to offer his help. The folks here are super friendly. there are several places with instructions on how to post pictures. One place is the first couple threads on the main page in red, another is by hitting the FAQ button on the blue banner towards the top of the page, then search thru the drop down menues, I think pics are under general forum rules or something like that.Knowing where you live helps if sombody may have a part you need ,stuff like that. Dont be shy. Oh yea capitol letters indicate that your yelling so all caps, well you see. Ill see ya around, and Im looking forward to watching your truck come together.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Jimmy said, (I know what your feeling because I started the same way, Bought a truck with no skill, no tools, no money, and no clue) Same story here.....It has taken me a little longer than most on here being my first build (having to buy all the tools required has slowed me down) but in the down time I come here read and look at others projects and how they are coming along and it inspires me to keep on keeping on. FTE has been the only reason my 53 is as far along as it is.

Welcome to FTE! all your questions for your truck can be answered right here

Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on being a new F-1 owner!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Cdichiar,
Welcome aboard! It's nice to have another 1950 F1 owner on here.
Try to post a pic when you can so we can see your nice truck.
Be kind to your doors & hood as they are difficult to replace & no after market suppliers are out there. Fenders & running boards are available in steel (pricey) or fiberglass. Have fun - What kind of engine came with your truck?

Ben in Austin

Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Picking up on Panelman's reply; Hi, my name is Ed, and I'm a truckaholic.
I found the forum when I started doing research for my first big project with a '54 panel. As others mentioned, got into it with no money, no tools, and little to none skills.

I'm still stuck at the beginning (financials) but now I have two trucks, guess I really got hooked and these guys reinforced the addiction. I think I can say we're a nice bunch and there's lots of knowledge and willing to share it. Check out a couple of articles from jniolon, they helped me realize what I got myself into a little more.

Ask questions, share progress, and SHOW PICS! We love those.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Welcome!

First, lets ease up on all CAPS....
HEY, I"D BE YELLING TOO IF I JUST GOT MY FIRST F-1...

Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello...My name is Dan and I'm also a "truckaholic"!!

Welcome to the forum!! You'll find a lot of information here. And...we do like pictures!!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Let's begin our session. Mine name is... and I'm a truckaholic.
We need to be very clear on this.
My name is... and I'm a truckaholic, and I plan to stay that way.

We are great enablers here. The smart folk on the forum can answer anything you throw at them. I'm one of the no money, no tools (man I could use an air compressor), and no skill. Just heart and persistence.

Welcome to the club, and we love pictures.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
You can do a lot with very little, but if you want to make it a little more painless, plan on buying a few of the bigger tools, Mig welder with shielding gas (DON'T buy one of the super cheapies that don't use gas) a medium sized compressor that runs off 220 (again NOT one of the 110 portables unless you just want to inflate tires or air mattresses). Make sure you have ample work space, a 2 car garage will get tight real quick when you start disassembling and storing parts plus storing/working on the truck. It will be there far longer than you anticipate so be sure the SO is OK with you kicking her car outside for a minimum of 3 years, and walking around and thru the mess especially if your garage is attached to your house.
Next sit down and make a plan. Decide how and when your truck will be driven, what you'd like to have on the truck catagorized by 1. need, 2. want, 3. would be nice to have, 4. pipe dream unless you win the lottery. Now cross off all the #4s, and all but the simplest and already able to do/pay for #3s. but save them in a folder for later after you finish all the #1s and most/all the #2s. Keep the build as simple as possible for the first one, otherwise you are likely to get tired of the project long before it's ever ready to drive. Forget all the extensive mods you see in the magazine features or your well meaning but really inexperienced clueless buddies suggest: frame swaps, independent suspensions, air bags, highly modified engines, etc and concentrate on building a safe and dependable ride. A stock or near stock build that can be driven is far better than a garage full of expensive parts that you will never be able to put together or being unhappy because you can't settle for not building a Riddler award winner the first time out.
Next start researching on here (there's a lot of good info hidden under the tab of Tech Guides in the blue bar at the top of the page) Make a bunch of posts as soon as possible telling us about your truck, your plans, suggestions and/or opinions on purchases, etc. until you pass the 25 post mark where the forum search function, PM, email, etc world opens up to you.
f you can't wait you can just go back and look for previous forum topics that might interest you or google specific searches specifying this forum as where to search. Most of the common questions get discussed several times a year as new members come aboard, so you should be able to find many hours of pertinent reading available pretty easily.
Oh and by the way welcome to the insanity!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenheart
Check out a couple of articles from jniolon, they helped me realize what I got myself into a little more.
Yep, great articles.
Here are a couple;
TRIALS OF A FIRST TIME BUILDER
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A CLASSIC FORD TRUCK: Part 1 .: Articles
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A CLASSIC FORD TRUCK: Part 2 .: Articles

Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 PM
jdshoops
Freshman User
i'm in the same boat. All new to me, but love the heck out of it. this place is so helpful don't know what i would do without it. And by the way welcome!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:09 PM
youngfordkid
Junior User
Welcome!!!

i am a ways west from you, but here in idaho, things are cold but good. parts are not hard to find, they just tend to be in places you would not expect. i find a lot of my parts in the hot rod community, but they are out there it is just the hunt to find them. im in my mid teens (16) and i am restoring/ touch of the darkside a 1951/52 pickup. i have my dad for help with the tough things since this will be my second resto of a old automobile, but my main source of info is this website, then internet, then books. the best thing is to get a shop manual, if that has not been mentioned. it will help a lot with basic info, and little tidbits on how to get things done.

Welcome and good luck!

Wyatt

Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the forum...My Name is Jeff and I can quit working on my truck anytime I want....I just don't want to...

I am not a truckaholic....

Quick Reply: NEWBIE TO F1 RESTO