1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

oil sample came back bad :-(

Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Krazymaan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the point of this thread, there is no real countdown to when your motor is going to die, give up or explode. Are we just trying to figure out the rate at which your engine is wearing. All information is good information and this is good information. Take an engine that is a fuel guzzler and compare it to an engine that sips fuel. The guzzler will have more contaminated oil and will have more wear on the cylinder walls due to the fuel washing the oil off of the cylinder walls. It will obviously wear down faster.
So give me some scenarios on what is being proved here. if the ppm is 500 instead of 100 what does that really mean? give me some examples like that please. like if my ppm is 500 my engine is going to fail in 35,000 miles? fill me in on the details. I'd like to understand the point of this thread. I'm sure i am not alone here.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazymaan
whats the point of this thread, there is no real countdown to when your motor is going to die, give up or explode. Are we just trying to figure out the rate at which your engine is wearing. All information is good information and this is good information. Take an engine that is a fuel guzzler and compare it to an engine that sips fuel. The guzzler will have more contaminated oil and will have more wear on the cylinder walls due to the fuel washing the oil off of the cylinder walls. It will obviously wear down faster.
So give me some scenarios on what is being proved here. if the ppm is 500 instead of 100 what does that really mean? give me some examples like that please. like if my ppm is 500 my engine is going to fail in 35,000 miles? fill me in on the details. I'd like to understand the point of this thread. I'm sure i am not alone here.
Here are some first hand examples. At one OA i had abnormal fuel contamination; needed injector o-rings at which i would have never had found out had i not done a OA.Another instance i was showing traces of coolant in the oil, oil cooler needed a re & re. The last OA showed high copper, turbo lasted only about four months later. When you have done your first OA you have a base line for all future OAs so you can see how things are trending and whether or not you can go futher on your oil.A OA will generally give you a heads up on possible problems or confirm any problems that you might have.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
slim613
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil sample results are in would anyone like to post them for me i cant with my phone i also have transmition sample

please email me at redneckslim@gmail.com if u will post them for me

Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sent you a PM with my e-mail address

Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
slim613,

got your e-mail on April 21st - sorry to take so long to post this up. Had some back surgery on April 20th and the meds had me a bit loopy the last week. But here ya go.

Your Transmission fluid analysis:

Overall - looks good. wear numbers look good. When was the last time you changed the tranny fluid and how many miles on this fluid? I would consider a fluid change in the short term since the silicon is starting to approach 20 ppm, but otherwise the tranny fluid looks good.

Here is a copy of the 4R100 tranny analysis when I bought my Excursion - 200K on the tranny and who knows how long on the fluid.......

Here is a tranny fluid analysis on my F-250's 4R100 tranny. After this report we dropped the tranny pan and had some metal shavings at the bottom of the pan, turned out to be the center support bearing was going bad. Caught it in time before anymore damage was done.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:42 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Here is a copy of your last engine oil analysis. Wear remains the same and within normal limits. Still showing the same wear rate as the previous report and you can see the diffierence in that additive packages of the two oils. Not much in Mystic as compared to the others. Change the oil in 500-1,000 miles along with the oil in the HPOP, add something better like rotella, rotella 5W-40, schaeffer's, or Delo 400.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Hey Rich -- Hope you're doing well!! Back too!

My OAs have been coming back since I've been doing it with iron in the 70ppm range. I'm running ~450hp at the rear wheels and it's been holding together nicely. I'm not concerned at this point...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazymaan
One time UOAs are kind of like one time blood pressure readings unless it has TOTALLY hit the fan individually they are not super useful. However the trend is where the real value is found, by doing regular UOAs you can determine what is considered "normal" wear for your engine and compare that to what is "normal" for your engine type considering factors such as use, operating environment etc etc. In addition to keeping your eye on engine wear it lets you see what other than wear metals and additives are floating around in your oil....such as sodium from anti-freeze, excessive fuel...etc etc.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I've been doing oil testing for last 70,000 miles and my iron shows high as well, but running synthetic I do 10,000 miles oil changes. My silicon average 5 with higher intervals, so 10 indicates worse air filtering.
I am skeptic about "nice improvement" comment on the test comparing 5000 miles oil with 3000 miles oil. Will you do retest at 5000 the results are going to be very close. Nothing really to worry about, beside checking the air filter.
What I got from my oil testing is that Mobil 1 is way overrated, while Rotella dino after 10,000 miles was better lubricant than Motorcraft after 5000 miles.
So far Rotella T6 is unbeatable.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:52 PM
slim613
Elder User
sorry guys im at work right now and aint got too much time to sent a reply but here are some stuff

transmition what u see is what i know iv never changed it and i have no idea how many miles or its last change the truck has a a diffrent motor in it, it was replaced right before i bought it and my luck with transmition as soon as i change fluids it takes a crap in the next 2k miles if that on trans i know nothing about every one i know sais save up my money and wait till it goes out changin the fluid just makes particles spread

engine oil how about amsoil im a dealer for them and been thinking about it for awhile

post what other question yall want and il do my best to reply to every one of them on my lunch break

Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 PM
slim613
Elder User
and no problem man u got bigger fish to fry u take care of ur self hope all goes well with the back stuff, but i do apprechate ur help and posting my lab samples for me,i was able to post them and i started a new post thread and not one person commented on it, il check and see how many miles i got on my truck now iv been wanting to put amsoil in it for awhile or just a synthetic period i mean iv got amsoil on the side of my truck for business so i might as well run it, and constantly changing oils aint good eather iv had what ever was in it when i got it, rotella,mystic
and back to the trans thing iv changed fluids in trans before that i new nothing about and it took a crap on my not too long after and not just one but 5 diffrent trucks my dad even sais drive it till it goes to crap hea been there and done all that so i tend to stay away fron it but i will ask the person i got it from if they ever did it and when they did it last

Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of things,

I trucked for myself for about 20+ years over the road, usually around 160'000 miles a year, with that being said I did oil samples through Caterpillar Lab's, at the time I was running Peterbilt's with 3406 Cat engine's, 893 cubic inch's with 425 hp and 1450 ft lbs torque.

We changed oil after 3 rounds to California from Minnesota, about 13 to 15 thousand miles, we used Rotella T 15-40, i really don't see any problems running this oil longer in these power strokes, I am running my oil 7500 miles before oil changes,now using Rotella T6, JMO, I do run almost 50 miles a day to work and back, so my truck gets good and warm everyday.

So, one oil sample came just fine, same trip spun a main bearing climbing Baker grade Baker Ca. I kinda lost my confidence in the oil sample thing! Just my experience. My point is they cant predict everything, i not saying they don't help! BUT!

One more thing about oil sampling, Send in a clean oil sample and see what the results are, i did this a couple of times out of different 55 gal barrels that i got my oil at the time in and they where a little different. You might be surprised at how much crap is in fresh oil.

jm2cw

Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
slim613
Elder User
let me guess 379? maby 359 haha im a big fan of peterbilt and also CAT espicaly a 3406 love that engine!!! thats what i rebuilt when i was in college and my dad drove a 379 and 359 both with 3406 turnd up bull haulin

and ya i understand what u mean about new oil being dirty*there is no such think as clean

Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
FWIW, make sure you getting a clean oil sample when you take it from your engine, tranny, etc..... If there is any rust build up by the drain plug it will contaminate the sample and cause the iron wear #'s to be elevated. A better way to take the sample is with one of those hand pumps from the dip stick. Amsoil sells them as well as other labs for about $20.

As for Amsoil, I have seen just as good oil analysis reports or better for the 7.3L from folks running Rotella T-6, Schaeffer's series 7000, 9000, Delo 400 and some others. So if you can get the same or better results than why spend an extra $10 per gallon on oil? But if you are a dealer than that is a different situation. You need to run the stuff in your equipment if you want people to buy it and put it in there equipment......

Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Hey Rich -- Hope you're doing well!! Back too!

My OAs have been coming back since I've been doing it with iron in the 70ppm range. I'm running ~450hp at the rear wheels and it's been holding together nicely. I'm not concerned at this point...
Doing good Joe! Have't crossed paths online with you in quite a while. How's it going for you?

70ppm at how many miles? Still running rotella T-6 5W-40? About the same wear numbers as Tony's 7.3L Dually when he was running at the track and pulling the newspaper trailer. That bugger is still running around Arkansas somewhere......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil sample came back bad :-(