6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Tuner for 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Frankiea87
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner for 6.0

hey i have a 2005 6.0 F250 crew cab, ive been speaking to people and some people say DO NOT tune a 6.0 and others say DO IT, i just wanted some input from guys on here..... Which tuner to buy? if i disconnect /unplug the tuner will it go back to stock settings?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 PM
dukie1877
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
SCT tuner. I am going to tune mine with a tow tune when I can afford to get a tuner and a few custom tunes from eric. I dont think there is any problems at all tuning your truck as long as you are monitoring things so you know when to lay off of it for a bit. EGT get to high oil temps get to high and you just keep pushing it things can go wrong. But if you run a tune get a sct and a few custom tunes from innovative or gearhead. I think there are a couple more that people will recommend. Thats what im doing

Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 AM
highteckredneck
Senior User
i know some people are bad mouthing it but im running the banks 6 gun with the IQ dash pad tuner. it monitors all my peramiters so no need for any other gauges. i really like it and have not had any problems with it. it can shift tunes on the fly from stock to power level 6 and beyond that with the speedloader. but whatever tune you get i would definatly get something to moniter your EGT and boost pressure.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Sct tuner is a great way to go, you buy the tuner & custom files and load them into the trucks computer)pcm) You have to use the tuner return it to stock, with sct. You a basically reprogramming the pcm. I would do the tuner last, after the other mods. Once you tune your truck, it's nearly impossible to go back to stock.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by highteckredneck
i know some people are bad mouthing it but im running the banks 6 gun with the IQ dash pad tuner. it monitors all my peramiters so no need for any other gauges. i really like it and have not had any problems with it.
What is that Banks doing to your transmission? I'm glad your watching the engine...but there's a transmission behind that flywheel that's taking a beating from an engine making more power than it was designed for. To each their own, but I think I'd do a little forum searching about slipping 5R110 and tuners.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 AM
05 f250 6 inch lift
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SCT tuner is the way to go. Because it tuners ur motor an also addresses the shifting of ur trans to. If u don't already have a exhaust kit I wood get it first then a scangauge to monitor motor then EGT an fuel pressure gauge before I got a tuner.

Those gauges will tell u all u need to know about how healthy ur motor is an what it's doing.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Edge Evo CS & i love it
Up to 100 extra HP when u want it, not to mention i can now monitor every engine function imaginable, i say go for it but use common sense....

You can program back to stock at any time, but remember to let the engine "breathe" a Performance Exhaust is a must & i put in a new intake as well the "blue spring" (for a little more Fuel Pressure)

Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 AM
highteckredneck
Senior User
Originally Posted by zhilton
What is that Banks doing to your transmission? I'm glad your watching the engine...but there's a transmission behind that flywheel that's taking a beating from an engine making more power than it was designed for. To each their own, but I think I'd do a little forum searching about slipping 5R110 and tuners.

about the same as any other tuner that changes the shift pressure in the transmission. its holding up fine, no slipping or anything. i really like the tuner myself cause im not a big fan of diesel blowing thick black smoke, i mean a little yea but all that smoke cant be good for your turbo, and thats what i like about the banks.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
goosehunta
Elder User
i use a SCT TSX. I run matts tunes from gearhead. i love the SRL tune which is a street tune with power and also love the way functions the trans. i also have a tow tune from him as well. the shifting is great both up shifting and down shifting. i have towed some 5000 to 6000 lbs loads with no trailer brakes and feel confortable too. With the SRL, its a great daily driver tune which packs a punch when you need it. it only smokes when you want it to. be easy on the pedel and its better than stock. i put my truck back to stock a few weeks ago just for the hell of it. o man that only lasted for about 2 days. stock was such a dog. The TSX part of the tuner name is for Touch Screen Extrem. it is also a monitor. i have it set up to see my EGTs, Boost PSI, Battery Voltage, Trans Temp, Engine coolant temp and Engine oil temp all on the same screen. it was pricey when i got it. part of me says i wish i would have went with the sct x3 then got a scan gauge and i would have come out cheeper. also the scan gauge can show more info than my tsx. i just got a scangauge for my ranger and like having it in there.

like the other fellas have already said, make sure you can watch whats going on under the hood and between the frame. you can catch problems eairly and also know when you need to let the truck rest for a few.

also this last statment may start some riots lol but after i done my exhaust and tune from matt i picked up 3 to 4 mpgs. but its very hard to keep your foot out of it. so most dont see the improvment.

sorry for the long post but we fellow 6.0ers want you to be educated and armed with the right info incase you go to war with the 7.3ers which bad mouth the 6.0.
Note: not all 7.3 owners bad mouth them. lol

Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
vib1
New User
I also have the 6 gun and have a question for you. My code reader shows po611 ficm control module error. Do you think this is normal after installing the banks unit. (I'm thinking it is as banks is now controlling the fuel injection)

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 PM
highteckredneck
Senior User
Originally Posted by vib1
I also have the 6 gun and have a question for you. My code reader shows po611 ficm control module error. Do you think this is normal after installing the banks unit. (I'm thinking it is as banks is now controlling the fuel injection)
have you cleared the code and see if it comes back? my banks throws no codes or had any problems with the ficm or anything

Old 02-05-2012, 02:09 PM
vib1
New User
Yes, I cleared the code and it comes back again after the next start. Maybe I really do have a ficm problem then.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
highteckredneck
Senior User
Yes, I cleared the code and it comes back again after the next start. Maybe I really do have a ficm problem then.
yes it sounds like you do have a problem with the FICM, but I don't think it because of tuner, you could unplug the tuner hook up the factory harness and then pull the codes but you would have to use another scanner

Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM
goosehunta
Elder User
you can check you FICM voltage and see if its bad. im sending mine out in the morning to ed@ficmrepair. my truck was running rought when frist started. i thought maybe it was my sct so i went back to stock and it still did it. then i started getting the same 611 code. checked my volts and was droping from 48 to 30 during first few minutes of starting.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Your FICM is toast. Send it to FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair and let Ed fix it before it leaves you stranded. Great company, prices, and customer service.

Quick Reply: Tuner for 6.0