Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Junior User

Frankiea87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tuner for 6.0

hey i have a 2005 6.0 F250 crew cab, ive been speaking to people and some people say DO NOT tune a 6.0 and others say DO IT, i just wanted some input from guys on here..... Which tuner to buy? if i disconnect /unplug the tuner will it go back to stock settings?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Elder User

dukie1877 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dukie1877 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Duke Averill
SCT tuner. I am going to tune mine with a tow tune when I can afford to get a tuner and a few custom tunes from eric. I dont think there is any problems at all tuning your truck as long as you are monitoring things so you know when to lay off of it for a bit. EGT get to high oil temps get to high and you just keep pushing it things can go wrong. But if you run a tune get a sct and a few custom tunes from innovative or gearhead. I think there are a couple more that people will recommend. Thats what im doing
WTB=Powermax turbo, sct 8900 touch,4:56 gears, Blue fuel spring,fuel guage, winch, fender flares,
Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Senior User

highteckredneck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
johnbradley cinguler
i know some people are bad mouthing it but im running the banks 6 gun with the IQ dash pad tuner. it monitors all my peramiters so no need for any other gauges. i really like it and have not had any problems with it. it can shift tunes on the fly from stock to power level 6 and beyond that with the speedloader. but whatever tune you get i would definatly get something to moniter your EGT and boost pressure.

2006 F-250 6.0L, 6" lift 35" TOYO open county MT/ 20" XD monster wheels, 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust with 5" tip, Banks 6-gun tuner and IQ monitor, rancho dual steering stabilizers, high idle switch, blue spring update, ARP studs, powermax turbo, EGR deleted, dieselite coolant filter, 6.4L banjo bolts, new HPOP, new standpipes, 08 exhaust gaskets.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Wiser by FTE

Curt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to behold
Sct tuner is a great way to go, you buy the tuner & custom files and load them into the trucks computer)pcm) You have to use the tuner return it to stock, with sct. You a basically reprogramming the pcm. I would do the tuner last, after the other mods. Once you tune your truck, it's nearly impossible to go back to stock.
05 eb 6.0 psd, edge insight, coolant filter, 4" ss exhaust, egr delete, studs, sct & matt's custom tunes, atlas 40 ficm tune, road master as, v code front springs, rs9000's, 2.2 k inverter, frozen rotors/hawk pads, alpine amp/ 2 10" sub, 27 watt! led back-ups, led interior lights, rear view camera mirror, power-max turbo, harley headlights, hood liner,jimmi jammers, eds ficm atlas 40, F650 lower dash, blue spring, true-trac, 175 amp alt, high idle mod, 18" king ranch rims, 2008 oem super duty PPPower mirrors...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Postmaster

zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by highteckredneck View Post
i know some people are bad mouthing it but im running the banks 6 gun with the IQ dash pad tuner. it monitors all my peramiters so no need for any other gauges. i really like it and have not had any problems with it.
What is that Banks doing to your transmission? I'm glad your watching the engine...but there's a transmission behind that flywheel that's taking a beating from an engine making more power than it was designed for. To each their own, but I think I'd do a little forum searching about slipping 5R110 and tuners.
2004 F250 6.0L 2WD CC "Pavement Princess"
2007 Monaco Starwood SL 31BHD
2012 Focus SEL (Wife's ride)
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Senior User

05 f250 6 inch lift is starting off with a positive reputation.
SCT tuner is the way to go. Because it tuners ur motor an also addresses the shifting of ur trans to. If u don't already have a exhaust kit I wood get it first then a scangauge to monitor motor then EGT an fuel pressure gauge before I got a tuner.

Those gauges will tell u all u need to know about how healthy ur motor is an what it's doing.
05 F250 CC SWB MBRP 4" turbo back,no kitty,ARP Studs,BPD EGR cooler,IPR oil cooler,Blue spring,All other motor upgrades done,6" Fabtech lift,18x10 Pro Comp Xtreme rims,37x13.5x18 Pro Comp Xtreme tires,Alpine 7' touchscreen,4 10" Kicker subs,1000 watt Hifonics amp
Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 AM
No more Garage link :'(

King-bRanch has much to be proud ofKing-bRanch has much to be proud ofKing-bRanch has much to be proud ofKing-bRanch has much to be proud ofKing-bRanch has much to be proud ofKing-bRanch has much to be proud ofKing-bRanch has much to be proud ofKing-bRanch has much to be proud ofKing-bRanch has much to be proud ofKing-bRanch has much to be proud of
I have a Edge Evo CS & i love it
Up to 100 extra HP when u want it, not to mention i can now monitor every engine function imaginable, i say go for it but use common sense....

You can program back to stock at any time, but remember to let the engine "breathe" a Performance Exhaust is a must & i put in a new intake as well the "blue spring" (for a little more Fuel Pressure)
Edge CS programmer, MBRP Dual Exhaust, S&B Cold-Air Box, Banks High-Ram Intake, Sinister Coolant Filter, DVD/CD/Back-Up Cam system w/2 rear TV's, custom Painted Grille/Headlights, N-Fab Bar's, Cowl Induction Hood, BoonDock Bumper's, mild Suspension Lift, Detroit TrueTrac, XD Rims w/BFG Tires & much more...Warren
Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 AM
Senior User

johnbradley cinguler
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhilton View Post
What is that Banks doing to your transmission? I'm glad your watching the engine...but there's a transmission behind that flywheel that's taking a beating from an engine making more power than it was designed for. To each their own, but I think I'd do a little forum searching about slipping 5R110 and tuners.

about the same as any other tuner that changes the shift pressure in the transmission. its holding up fine, no slipping or anything. i really like the tuner myself cause im not a big fan of diesel blowing thick black smoke, i mean a little yea but all that smoke cant be good for your turbo, and thats what i like about the banks.

2006 F-250 6.0L, 6" lift 35" TOYO open county MT/ 20" XD monster wheels, 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust with 5" tip, Banks 6-gun tuner and IQ monitor, rancho dual steering stabilizers, high idle switch, blue spring update, ARP studs, powermax turbo, EGR deleted, dieselite coolant filter, 6.4L banjo bolts, new HPOP, new standpipes, 08 exhaust gaskets.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Senior User

goosehunta is starting off with a positive reputation.
i use a SCT TSX. I run matts tunes from gearhead. i love the SRL tune which is a street tune with power and also love the way functions the trans. i also have a tow tune from him as well. the shifting is great both up shifting and down shifting. i have towed some 5000 to 6000 lbs loads with no trailer brakes and feel confortable too. With the SRL, its a great daily driver tune which packs a punch when you need it. it only smokes when you want it to. be easy on the pedel and its better than stock. i put my truck back to stock a few weeks ago just for the hell of it. o man that only lasted for about 2 days. stock was such a dog. The TSX part of the tuner name is for Touch Screen Extrem. it is also a monitor. i have it set up to see my EGTs, Boost PSI, Battery Voltage, Trans Temp, Engine coolant temp and Engine oil temp all on the same screen. it was pricey when i got it. part of me says i wish i would have went with the sct x3 then got a scan gauge and i would have come out cheeper. also the scan gauge can show more info than my tsx. i just got a scangauge for my ranger and like having it in there.

like the other fellas have already said, make sure you can watch whats going on under the hood and between the frame. you can catch problems eairly and also know when you need to let the truck rest for a few.

also this last statment may start some riots lol but after i done my exhaust and tune from matt i picked up 3 to 4 mpgs. but its very hard to keep your foot out of it. so most dont see the improvment.

sorry for the long post but we fellow 6.0ers want you to be educated and armed with the right info incase you go to war with the 7.3ers which bad mouth the 6.0.
Note: not all 7.3 owners bad mouth them. lol

High Idle Mod on #4
Whelen Strobes on #1
More to Come
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
New User

vib1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also have the 6 gun and have a question for you. My code reader shows po611 ficm control module error. Do you think this is normal after installing the banks unit. (I'm thinking it is as banks is now controlling the fuel injection)
Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Senior User

johnbradley cinguler
Quote:
Originally Posted by vib1 View Post
I also have the 6 gun and have a question for you. My code reader shows po611 ficm control module error. Do you think this is normal after installing the banks unit. (I'm thinking it is as banks is now controlling the fuel injection)
have you cleared the code and see if it comes back? my banks throws no codes or had any problems with the ficm or anything

Old 02-05-2012, 02:09 PM
New User

vib1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, I cleared the code and it comes back again after the next start. Maybe I really do have a ficm problem then.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Senior User

johnbradley cinguler
Quote:
Yes, I cleared the code and it comes back again after the next start. Maybe I really do have a ficm problem then.
yes it sounds like you do have a problem with the FICM, but I don't think it because of tuner, you could unplug the tuner hook up the factory harness and then pull the codes but you would have to use another scanner

Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Senior User

goosehunta is starting off with a positive reputation.
you can check you FICM voltage and see if its bad. im sending mine out in the morning to ed@ficmrepair. my truck was running rought when frist started. i thought maybe it was my sct so i went back to stock and it still did it. then i started getting the same 611 code. checked my volts and was droping from 48 to 30 during first few minutes of starting.

High Idle Mod on #4
Whelen Strobes on #1
More to Come
Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Your FICM is toast. Send it to FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair and let Ed fix it before it leaves you stranded. Great company, prices, and customer service.

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
60, banks, delete, egr, ficm, ford, iq, read, tuner, voltage