Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Considering Manual V10 - Coming from 04 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Ron Earp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering Manual V10 - Coming from 04 Lightning

I've located a 2008 Ford F250 with a manual tranny, 2WD, and standard cab - sort of my "dream truck". I don't know a huge amount about the V10 other than what I've read here and on the net, but I do have some questions.

*Are there any known problems with the 3V 2008+ models?

*Does the manual transmission get markedly better gas mileage than the auto? What sort of mileage can I expect on the highway, around town, and pulling 8000 lbs?

*Any known problems with a manual transmission version of the truck? Would you advise for or against it?

I've been towing my race trailer with my Ford Lightning for seven years. All up I'm around 7300 lbs and the Lightning does *reasonably* well with the load. And, when I'm not towing it is fun to drive.

I'd like to replace the Lightning but I'd really like something fun to drive as a replacement, hence why I figured I might like a manual tranny truck. And, undoubtedly it'll tow better than the Lightning as well. So, any information you V10 owners wish to share along these topics would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the manual SD truck isnt gunna be fun to shift like your lightning..

its a work truck config. strong and capable but FAR away from fun/sporty..

def. test drive it before commiting. you most likely wont be "excited" to drive it like your Lightning.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
An '08 could be considered the best of the breed... Really, really great trucks. And a manual behind a V10 is extremely rare!

It does still use aluminum heads so you can't go gorilla on spark plug installations. But the '08 has a lot of threads so they are really hard to screw up.

All modulars seem to be somewhat prone to exhaust stud corrosion and breaking.

MPG? The 5R110 and 6R120's are fantastic automatics (which is why the manuals are so rare). The TC locks up quickly and in just about every gear, and the shift programming is pretty darned good. I don't think you'll see much difference in mpg when towing. Maybe 1/2 mpg when empty?
With a big, HEAVY truck, mpg is extremely linked to the weight of your right foot. It takes a lot of power to accelerate these things briskly. That being said, the 2WD is better than 4WD.
I'd guess for the average driver with stock size tires: About 9-11 in town, 12-16 on highway, 8-11 towing (that varies widely based on frontal area and aerodynamics of trailer). Some take it easy and get much better. Some love to hear and feel these go and get much worse... Throw in a lift and big tires and you can easily get down to 5mpg in town.

I have not heard a single negative about the manual.

This truck will make you forget the trailer is back there... The more you haul, the more you will love it.

Fun? Wellllll..... It is a big, heavy, powerful truck designed to work HARD. It is definitely not a Lightning. But it will give you the classic V10 BSEG on a regular basis! (BSEG = Big Stuff Eating Grin).

Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
doofuss
Senior User
On the three valve engines it would be my strong suggestion that you buy new enough that you don’t have the problematic two piece spark plugs that break off in the heads when you change them (2005-early 2008). Look for an engine build date sticker on the Drivers side valve cover of later than 10/09/2007. Both my trucks have the new style heads with the one piece plugs and I totally lucked into this. (I found out later what years are best). The plug boots that are below the coil over packs and go into the valve covers are a dark brown instead of black for these engines. Also the Torque-Shift Auto is an awesome transmission I would strongly recommend that. It has a tow-haul mode that makes towing a dream both for acceleration and deceleration. No way a manual can replicate how smoothly it downshifts.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Ron Earp
New User
Thanks for the assistance and information fellows.

The build date looks to be May 2007 so I'm thinking it has the bad heads/plugs, but I suspect some TLC could avoid the issues? I am good mechanically and rebuild my own transmissions, rear ends, engines, etc, but that said it doesn't mean I wouldn't screw it up. I'd definitely research it heavily before doing a plug swap, but, if they are like the Triton V8s the plug change interval is very long.

I do like the idea of a manual tranny and that might add enough fun factor to make the truck interesting. My Lightning has the 4 speed auto (no Lightnings were manual) and I'm a bit tired of the slushbox.

From what I've read these V10s are damn near indestructible. I called my local Ford service manager and spoke to him frankly about the engines and he says they hardly ever see them in the shop. 6.0/6.4 diesels all the time, 5.4L V8 Triton rarely, and 6.8L V10 almost never and when they do it was for non-threatening recall related things that were trivial. He did mention the plug situation to me, couldn't remember the years affected, but indicated they'd had no trouble with them as they were forewarned and careful - not sure how true that is but that was the story he gave.

So, are there any trouble points on the engine or truck in general? This truck is very basic - no power windows or locks, six speed, and 2wd. Not sure if it has and LSD or not, I suspect not. Have to check the axle tag. What rear end ratio is standard on them?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3:73 is the standard ratio.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've driven my son's new manual mustang several times, and okay, its kick-a$$. But so is my dually...... He says the 'stang brings a smile to his face when he walks up and sees it in the garage. Yep, I know the feeling!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Earp
Thanks for the assistance and information fellows.

The build date looks to be May 2007 so I'm thinking it has the bad heads/plugs, but I suspect some TLC could avoid the issues? I am good mechanically and rebuild my own transmissions, rear ends, engines, etc, but that said it doesn't mean I wouldn't screw it up. I'd definitely research it heavily before doing a plug swap, but, if they are like the Triton V8s the plug change interval is very long.

Thanks!
TLC will avoid issues. I wouldn't call them "bad" plugs, just not as good as the 08+. The issue is the very long extended tip getting carbon build up. If enough build up, they require patience to remove as you need to soak them to soften the carbon. The problem is trying to do it in a hurry.... If you just force them out, they can break or damage threads. Lots of instructions out there on how to remove without issues. And how to fix if you go gorilla and break them off. Change them every 50K and you should have no issues.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
I would think the combo of regular cab and 2wd would be your best bet for mpg. My heavy hog gets 10-11 no matter what I do. I also don't do many long highway trips. If I get into the pedal that number drops to 8-9. Towing is anywhere from 6-8 but thats heavy trailers (9k+). But again I have a crew cab, dual rear wheels, 4x4, heavy cap, etc... So it's never going to get great mileage. But that set up seems good.

The spark plugs....well I bought this truck knowing full well that changing them could be a pain. But I liked the configuration and the price. There are enough write ups about it and there is a ford tech on youtube. I know its a 5.4 but it's the same deal with the V10.

video link below

Ford 5.4 Liter 3 Valve Spark Plug Removal - YouTube

Good info on removing the plugs. Crazy thing is he uses an impact gun (which is an inch/lb one NOT ft/lb i believe) to remove them. Claims to never have an issue although he does run a cleaner for a couple fuel tanks first. Again use at your own risk.

V10's are getting harder to find so if it's something you think you'll like you gotta go for it.