Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat swaps

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:19 PM
SteelHorse4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the bracket you will need

Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Joe_fummins
Freshman User
Help please

I've read threads on here, please bear with me I'm still confused. I've got an 89 f350 extended cab and the seat is the bench that folds on both sides where the top half is split in the middle. I just found a guy with the split bench out of an extended cab 96. Is it going to be a nightmare to get that seat in or did I get an "easy swap?"

Old 06-16-2014, 04:59 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_fummins
I've read threads on here, please bear with me I'm still confused. I've got an 89 f350 extended cab and the seat is the bench that folds on both sides where the top half is split in the middle. I just found a guy with the split bench out of an extended cab 96. Is it going to be a nightmare to get that seat in or did I get an "easy swap?"
80-97 use the same cab platform for super cabs so it is a direct swap

Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Joe_fummins
Freshman User
Little more help

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
80-97 use the same cab platform for super cabs so it is a direct swap
So it's a 40/20/40 3 piece, what all am I in for on this, will it still be a bolt up gig or am I going to be drilling holes, just trying to plan this out

Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 AM
SteelHorse4x4
Senior User
Read through the whole thread, all the info is in there.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Joe_fummins
Freshman User
Confused

Originally Posted by SteelHorse4x4
Read through the whole thread, all the info is in there.
I still have questions, this is my first time doing anything like this, I just want some answers, sorry but I'm kinda hurt by that response. For anyone who is willing to be patient, I've got the 3 piece bucket console combo and an 89 f350 extended cab that had a bench. Nothing seems to line up, what do I need to do?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:29 PM
krooser
Elder User
I had Rambler buckets in a '73 F600 if that helps anybody...

Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_fummins
I still have questions, this is my first time doing anything like this, I just want some answers, sorry but I'm kinda hurt by that response. For anyone who is willing to be patient, I've got the 3 piece bucket console combo and an 89 f350 extended cab that had a bench. Nothing seems to line up, what do I need to do?
I've never swapped seats between trucks, but I've read a few of these threads. From what I understand you need both seats, the center console, and the 40/20/40 seat pan from a Super Cab or a Bronco. The seats and console will bolt right to the seat pan like they were made for it (because they were) and the seat pan should bolt right into your Super Cab.

If you don't have the seat pan that goes with the 40/20/40 seats you won't be able to easily put the new seats in using whatever came with your bench seat. And if you got the 40/20/40 seat pan for a standard or crew cab, I don't think that will bolt right in either.

I'm less sure about this, but I think I've read that even if the seats came from a standard or crew cab that they may not fit on the Super Cab/Bronco seat pan nicely.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:15 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelHorse4x4
This is the bracket you will need
Originally Posted by wfilkins47
is there an indent or something in the floor pan which indicates where the holes should be drilled to mount them?
Now that I have a set of correctly colored 40/20/40 seats from a supercab, and its floor bracket, I have reread this thread again as I plan to put them in the front of my crew cab.

There is no markings to locate the needed new 4 holes.

I'll need to add 4 holes through the carpet and floor for the outside holes of the above pictured H bracket. These are also the inside bolt locations for the two 40 seats.

But, as others have suggested, I'll set both 40 seats in place and locate them with their outside two bolts. With the H bracket also in place to confirm, this locates the 4 needed holts that secure the inside of the seats and the H bracket.

This would be the same process if I wanted to but these supercab seats in the rear of my crew cab.

And the same process if these supercab seats were to be installed in a single cab.

And crewcab and single cab seats will bolt into a supercab or Bronco by using the crewcab/single cab one piece floor pan, but the sliding/folding function would be lost. And you would have 4 holes where the inside of the seats bolted to that would need to be plugged with a bolt or similar.

Someone please correct me if I have stated this incorrectly, but as someone else has said, now that I have all the pieces in front of me, many of us have way overthunk this.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Now that I have a set of correctly colored 40/20/40 seats from a supercab, and its floor bracket, I have reread this thread again as I plan to put them in the front of my crew cab.

There is no markings to locate the needed new 4 holes.

I'll need to add 4 holes through the carpet and floor for the outside holes of the above pictured H bracket. These are also the inside bolt locations for the two 40 seats.

But, as others have suggested, I'll set both 40 seats in place and locate them with their outside two bolts. With the H bracket also in place to confirm, this locates the 4 needed holts that secure the inside of the seats and the H bracket.

This would be the same process if I wanted to but these supercab seats in the rear of my crew cab.

And the same process if these supercab seats were to be installed in a single cab.

And crewcab and single cab seats will bolt into a supercab or Bronco by using the crewcab/single cab one piece floor pan, but the sliding/folding function would be lost. And you would have 4 holes where the inside of the seats bolted to that would need to be plugged with a bolt or similar.

Someone please correct me if I have stated this incorrectly, but as someone else has said, now that I have all the pieces in front of me, many of us have way overthunk this.

Its been a while but IIRC the shape of the floor pan is different in a bronco/supercab so you canNOT just drill the 4 inner holes and put a supercab 40/20/40 in a reg/crew

Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Its been a while but IIRC the shape of the floor pan is different in a bronco/supercab so you canNOT just drill the 4 inner holes and put a supercab 40/20/40 in a reg/crew
Correct. The shape is similar but different. The other thing to beware of is that the Bronco/Supercab floor seems to have changed in some way around 1990 (~2 years prior to 9th gen roll-out). I never figured out what the exact change was - it may or may not matter in most cases - but just something to be aware of.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti
Correct. The shape is similar but different. The other thing to beware of is that the Bronco/Supercab floor seems to have changed in some way around 1990 (~2 years prior to 9th gen roll-out). I never figured out what the exact change was - it may or may not matter in most cases - but just something to be aware of.
Yes. The 78-91? had ejection seats that the whole thing flipped up to gain rear access. The 92+ slide forward. So that may entail where the floor different lies

Old 01-08-2017, 02:14 AM
DevilsAdvocate
7th Gear
Exclamation

Yes. The 78-91? had ejection seats that the whole thing flipped up to gain rear access. The 92+ slide forward. So that may entail where the floor different lies

This question is directed more towards Brad since he clearly has the some of the deepest knowledge of this seat swapping.
I have lost count of how many seat swap threads I have read using search and have not found my direct scenario, so will humbly ask.

What I drive is an 89 F350 SRW CC Longbed with the most basic rubber/vinyl bench seats, having been a maintenance truck years ago. I am disabled and side all over the place, which I need to rectify immediately.

At the pull and pay today I found a 87 Bronco Eddie Bauer with the two separate captain chairs with armrest. The console between was bolted directly to the floor.

I have read Brad's post about using the 3 piece seat pan brackets from a RC or CC and bolting in the bronco seats that way, but don't know if I fully understand it, because having a tough time visualizing it.

That is my understanding thus far, from all I have read, so I can NOT bolt the bronco buckets to my simple single bench seatpan/frame, which uses the 4 primary mounting holes.

So does the 40-20-40 seatpan bolt to the floor with the same 4 bolts, if so then I assume it has three separate mounting holes for the captain chairs as it does for the separate 40-20-40? And does someone have a picture of what the 40-20-40 seat pan & the seat itself looks like?
The seats in question are in decent shape needing a few repairs but the Eddie Bauer seat pattern is really comfy.

So, my primary question is do the rules that apply to the mid 90's trucks also apply to the late 80's vehicles and is my understanding correct?

Thank you for you time and advice. It is greatly appreciated by both my back and I.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:48 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
From a front seat perspective, a regular cab and crew cab have the same floor shape and seat bolting pattern. As such, seats, seat trays, and seat tracks can be readily swapped between single cabs and crew cabs.

The Extended, or SuperCab is different from the single cab. The Bronco uses the same floor as the SuperCab, and thus uses the same seats and tracks. These seats/tracks do NOT readily swap into a regular cab. I learned this the hard way by getting a pair of bucket seats from a '92 SuperCab for my '91 regular cab. I drilled holes, made some floor modifications, only to find that the seat was positioned way too high. I had to stuff my legs under the steering wheel. Ultimately I went with a factory bucket seat tray and Explorer bucket seats and it's been a great solution.

Specific to your question about the early ('87 - '90) seats from the SuperCab/Bronco, I considered this option myself as the seats and tracks are indeed different from the later '91+ SuperCab seats. I do not believe they are different enough to be a viable solution for what you want however.

The "magic" piece you want is the factory bucket seat tray, preferably complete with seat tracks/sliders. Once you have that, you'll have a huge choice of seats from the junkyard since many of Ford's seats conform to the same bolt pattern.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate
This question is directed more towards Brad since he clearly has the some of the deepest knowledge of this seat swapping.
I have lost count of how many seat swap threads I have read using search and have not found my direct scenario, so will humbly ask.

What I drive is an 89 F350 SRW CC Longbed with the most basic rubber/vinyl bench seats, having been a maintenance truck years ago. I am disabled and side all over the place, which I need to rectify immediately.

At the pull and pay today I found a 87 Bronco Eddie Bauer with the two separate captain chairs with armrest. The console between was bolted directly to the floor.

I have read Brad's post about using the 3 piece seat pan brackets from a RC or CC and bolting in the bronco seats that way, but don't know if I fully understand it, because having a tough time visualizing it.

That is my understanding thus far, from all I have read, so I can NOT bolt the bronco buckets to my simple single bench seatpan/frame, which uses the 4 primary mounting holes.

So does the 40-20-40 seatpan bolt to the floor with the same 4 bolts, if so then I assume it has three separate mounting holes for the captain chairs as it does for the separate 40-20-40? And does someone have a picture of what the 40-20-40 seat pan & the seat itself looks like?

The 40/20/40 seat pan bolts to the truck floor with the same 4 holes the bench seat does. The bucket seats CAN bolt to the 40/20/40 seat pan just like the 40/20/40 seats do. you will just need the 40/20/40 seat tracks. The console Screws to the 40/20/40 seat pan with 3 self tapping screws. I dont know how much mor simplistic I can explain it
The seats in question are in decent shape needing a few repairs but the Eddie Bauer seat pattern is really comfy.

So, my primary question is do the rules that apply to the mid 90's trucks also apply to the late 80's vehicles and is my understanding correct?

Thank you for you time and advice. It is greatly appreciated by both my back and I.
yes, 1980-97 cabs are the same(supercab / bronco floors may have changed slightly with the difference of the ejection tracks vs the slide tracks)

Quick Reply: Seat swaps