Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Any problems with the 2012 ecoboost?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM
lindbm5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any problems with the 2012 ecoboost?

New to the forum and I have some questions about the F150 ecoboost. I have been a gm driver my whole life and now need a new truck. I just bought a tractor and need to tow it between two pieces of land about 200 miles apart. I just don't think my 06 silverado is up to the task of towing the 9k lbs, especially since it's about 1700 lbs over the towing capicity of that truck.

So after a long search as much as this hurts i have decided on the f150 ecoboost. My concern is the problems I have read about for the 2011 ecoboost. I understand that it was the first year that they put that engine in that truck, I just want to make sure most of the bugs have been worked out before I invest my money in a truck.

Any info is appreciated

Thanks

Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what problems with the 11? Mine and most others are trouble free. Main thing I hear is people not getting as good of mpg which tends to be a programming issue or more likely a heavy foot issue. Most anything else i heard of was fixed after a program flash.

But you're right 11 was the first F150 ecoboost and i very much understand waiting a year to see how it plays out and thus far looks like the ecoboost is more than holding its own in durability. Mine carried 2700lbs of sand in the bed the other day no problem... well the suspension knew it was there but the motor didn't

(ignore my signature old truck)

Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 AM
lindbm5
New User
Thanks for the reply, I read about some minor transmission issues hard shifts mostly, but the big problem that caught my eye was the loss of power while trying to pass on the freeway. Most people that reported the problem said it felt like a misfire.

Glad to hear you havent had any problems with yours, and good to hear the rear end can take some weight. If i order one I'll he working it pretty hard this summer.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
I have only heard of 1 instance of someone having a problem with power when passing. Storyies get passed across the internet like widlefire. One truck owner comments on a forum about an issue, and the next day 10 other forums are saying that ford is going to have to do a recall becasue some many trucks are having that issue.

My point is, that there really have been no design issues with the engine show up yet. There have been a few problems like mentioned in your post, but by no means on a measurable scale.

Also the Eboost engine was released in 2010 in the SHO, and have shown no signs of problems for them either.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I understand the transmission issue was occurring on both the EB and the 5.0 engines and applied to a certain build period last spring, it had nothing to do with the EB specifically.

Can't really speak to the shudder issue, just recently began reading about it.

Best of luck in your decision. From what I read, the EB can handle 9,000 lbs towing just fine. If you are going to do that on a regular basis, maybe you should consider the 250?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
lindbm5
New User
Thanks for all the info, will only tow that load in the summer so the f150 should do for now.

Thanks again

Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
stangman05gt
Junior User
I belieave im the exception but my transmission had to be rebuilt after 16,000 miles. ( 2011 eco 4x4) Now my engine is torn down. I havent seen my truck since Jan 4th. Dealer has had a hard time getting replacement parts and special tooling to fix those problems. Again I believe my truck is the exception. Dont base your decision on one truck. Overall I think most folks are very happy. By the way i do tow a 30 ft fifth wheel.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
I've heard of one guy leaking oil, another with no power to pass and a few with MPG's issues. Other than that, I've heard and read nothing but praise for the engine, it's MPG's and Ford's long term R&D efforts to make this engine a long term success.

Any transmission issues are not engine specific and as mentioned above, there was a bad batch of torque converters last spring.

Before you buy an F-150, make sure that you educate yourself and select the proper truck for your needs.

You will need the Max Tow Package which will come with a 3.73 gear set. I would also recommend getting into an F-150 HD which will up your payload figures significantly, to around, 2300 lbs.

One fella on here ordered an F-150 Ecoboost, did not get the HD package but owns a travel trailer that exceeded his trucks limitations. I think he bit the bullet and bought a Superduty. So again, do you homework and check it twice.

You can click here and cruise the www.ford.com website and you can do a price and build, check towing and payload figures and research yo your heart's content.

Welcome to FTE. I trust that Ford has something that will assist you with your work.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
B W Smith
New User
A couple of points. The Ecoboost engine has been around for about 3 years now. Only in the F150 since 2011. Great engine. I have a 2011 F150, max tow Supercrew. I pulled a 9500lb 5th wheel last year without issue.

The transmission issue you are talking about does act like a misfire. It happened to me one time when I really punched on the truck. The dealer expained to me that this transmission has a learning curve. If you do not drive it like that all of the time the tranny will lock up the converter. I thought he was pulling my leg, but he says it is so. Never had another problem since. I have over 21000 km on it.

I agree with the poster suggesting the HD. Wish I had waited one more year. Oh well.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 PM
lindbm5
New User
Thanks for all the replies, I guess this is where my 20 year road with GM ends. I am putting in the order tomorrow for a 2012 fx4 supercrew ecoboost. Unfortunatly I won't be able to get the HD payload package because they don't offer it on the fx4, but with more then 1800 lbs of payload I think that I should be fine with the max trailer package. The most I will tow would be 9k and that is with the tractor and all the implements. Most of the time it will be between 7k and 8k. And it will be at most 1k miles a summer.

Again thanks for all the info!!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
From experience, you won't have "more than" 1800 payload. More like 1650-1720.

Better watch your tongue weight, too. My 6500 pound trailer on a 2010 max tow with camping gear in the bed easily puts me AT the GAWR on the rear... 4050... With a family of four.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by B W Smith
A couple of points. The Ecoboost engine has been around for about 3 years now. Only in the F150 since 2011. Great engine. I have a 2011 F150, max tow Supercrew. I pulled a 9500lb 5th wheel last year without issue.

The transmission issue you are talking about does act like a misfire. It happened to me one time when I really punched on the truck. The dealer expained to me that this transmission has a learning curve. If you do not drive it like that all of the time the tranny will lock up the converter. I thought he was pulling my leg, but he says it is so. Never had another problem since. I have over 21000 km on it.

I agree with the poster suggesting the HD. Wish I had waited one more year. Oh well.
Actually the F150 Ecoboost engine is a new design for 2011. The Eco engine that is in the SHO Taurus and Lincolns have a completey different design with the transmissions mounting on the side of the block. The F150 is in line front to back and i also think the Lincolns and SHO's are not built with the same Heavy Duty forged internal parts and six bolt main that they put into the F150. I also wish i waited one more year for the HD model. But i have absolutely no complaints so far with what i have!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by smokewagun
From experience, you won't have "more than" 1800 payload. More like 1650-1720.

Better watch your tongue weight, too. My 6500 pound trailer on a 2010 max tow with camping gear in the bed easily puts me AT the GAWR on the rear... 4050... With a family of four.
I think you can get a 2012 HD Supercrew with a payload around 2200#'s..And even more payload on some other models depending what options you order.. My 2011 has a payload of 1890#'s

Old 02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
lindbm5
New User
Thanks again for all the info. I just ordered a fx4 supercrew ecoboost with the max trailer tow package. The dealer and ford's website claim a payload of 1840 lbs. I'll have to hook up the trailer and see how it rides. I'm not worried about over grossing the truck, but I might install some bags in the back to level it out when it's under load. The max the trailer will carry is 10400 lbs but with what i have to haul it will be more like 7k to 9k.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
I think you can get a 2012 HD Supercrew with a payload around 2200#'s..And even more payload on some other models depending what options you order.. My 2011 has a payload of 1890#'s
Lindbm5 said he wasn't getting the HD. My 2010 Lariat is at 1,650# with the Max Tow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any problems with the 2012 ecoboost?