1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Intermittent check engine light, UVCH? CPS?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 1316 is a code that means the IDM has stored codes, what are the stored codes? Usually injector high to low side opens, etc. That is why I felt that it could be an injector.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The dealer pulled codes 1316 and 1273. I then pulled the VCs and checked the uvch. Ford wedges in both sides. Put it back together and according to my Superchips scan tool, it is only pulling 1316. I have no idea where to go from here.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

I had high resistance across the board when I tested the IDM connector. Assuming I did it right.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

I just dong get it, the truck runs fine, idles fine, I just keep getting the light and code.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
IIRC, Grant referenced my thread a month or so ago where prior to the issue I was getting a 1271, high to low side open, after initial checks I was ready to replace the IDM, decided to swap injectors and the code followed. But wasn't really said was the prior to this issue I was getting "phantom" high to low open codes.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ing-badly.html

Prior to the rough running I would get the code occasionally when EOT was cooler, but it was very intermittent and not causing any performance issues, or rough running. After finding the issue with my injector I no longer get the high to low code either.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
IIRC, Grant referenced my thread a month or so ago where prior to the issue I was getting a 1271, high to low side open, after initial checks I was ready to replace the IDM, decided to swap injectors and the code followed. But wasn't really said was the prior to this issue I was getting "phantom" high to low open codes.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ing-badly.html

Prior to the rough running I would get the code occasionally when EOT was cooler, but it was very intermittent and not causing any performance issues, or rough running. After finding the issue with my injector I no longer get the high to low code either.
Im sorry, Im not following. I read that thread but dont understand what the problem was. Was it the injector? Was it a screw under the solenoid? What would you suggest I do?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
The problem was a screw under the injector solenoid that secures the armature plate(which is what the solenoid moves) to the poppet valve(injector component). All of this requires disassembly of the injector, but I was broke down, and needed a repair, sooner than sending it in for warranty.

I would recommend swapping injector in #3 with another 1,5,or 7 and see if your code follows the injector. Say if you swapped it with #1 you would get a P1271 instead of a P1273

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Thats the problem, Im not getting a 12-anything now, just the 1316.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Even if you do a Buzz test or KOEO self test? On my snap-on tool that is how I pull IDM stored codes, I am not familiar with the superchips though. The code 1316 is a code that means the IDM has stored codes.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

I dont know what a buzz test/KOEO is or how to do it or if I have the right tools to do it with. So you are saying that even If I am just showing a 1316, that really there are more codes? So I may have a 1273 still and the SC is just not showing it?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
A Buzz test would fire all the injectors, then each individually testing the electrical portion of the injection system, producing and audible buzz of the solenoids. A KOEO(Key On Engine Off) is a self diagnostic check. Sounds like the superchip is only looking for memory codes, which on my snapon, would only display the P1316 too, without doing either a KOEO or Buzz test.

I personally have never seen a P1316 by itself, I have always seen stored IDM codes, I am unsure whether or not you can only have a P1316. But yes I think you have more codes than are displayed.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Do I need AE to do these tests? Why would the truck run fine with my IDM and then have the same problems with 2 different replacement IDMs? I have a hard time believing that this reman from GB is bad.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

A Buzz test would fire all the injectors, then each individually testing the electrical portion of the injection system, producing and audible buzz of the solenoids. A KOEO(Key On Engine Off) is a self diagnostic check. Sounds like the superchip is only looking for memory codes, which on my snapon, would only display the P1316 too, without doing either a KOEO or Buzz test.

I personally have never seen a P1316 by itself, I have always seen stored IDM codes, I am unsure whether or not you can only have a P1316. But yes I think you have more codes than are displayed.
The SC scanner will show a 1249 on my EX, and it showed a 1280 on this truck when I disconnected the ICP, so it does show 12xx level codes.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
I really can not think of anything else at this time, I know some have had issues with remanned IDM's, I think that's why Grant said you will probably get more codes with one.

So with the IDM out of your Ex the truck shows no codes at all, and with one from the salvage yard and one from RockAuto you get codes correct?

Have you tried one of the remanned units or salvage yard in your Ex, that I assume has no issues? Or even the original "bad" unit from the truck in the Ex.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

I really can not think of anything else at this time, I know some have had issues with remanned IDM's, I think that's why Grant said you will probably get more codes with one.

So with the IDM out of your Ex the truck shows no codes at all, and with one from the salvage yard and one from RockAuto you get codes correct?

Have you tried one of the remanned units or salvage yard in your Ex, that I assume has no issues? Or even the original "bad" unit from the truck in the Ex.
Yes to the first question and No to the last two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent check engine light, UVCH? CPS?