1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2003 Expy catalytic converter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
P70FT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, but I'm well out of warranty with 120k and since CARB doesn't have any approved aftermarket cats for a 2003 Expy looks like I'm still screwed.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
AFAIK used cats are banned too.

Two things have driven this law.

First, a lot of aftermarket cats don't (or didn't) work. And they weren't cheap, just cheap compared to a stocker. Thus, you were out a fair amount of money and still couldn't pass the smog check.

Second, used cats come from two sources: "Legititmate" auto recyclers (junkyard), and theft. Any a-hole with a cordless Sawzall can become a cat supplier...

Of course, if CARB gave a tinkers damn about the public, many more cats would be available, and some provision for usable used units would exist.

IMO, for the OP, I'd tidy things up and trade it off, maybe even take it to Nevada or AZ to unload it. (although he'd probably be money ahead of that idea even with the dealer's price on the cats....)

Old 01-31-2012, 03:27 PM
P70FT
New User
Tim... just spoke with All Ford salvage and was told it was illegal to sell used cats in California punishable by a $25K fine and 3 day shut down for the first offense. He also said that he just recycled a set last week from a 2003 expy and only got $125 for it... things aren't looking to good for my wallet

Old 01-31-2012, 04:50 PM
TABLESAWTIM
New User
Hi P70FT,

Originally Posted by P70FT
Thanks to all have responded. Unfortunately CARB has not approved any aftermarket cats for the 2003 and newer Expeditions, see link below. I have also confirmed this with a couple smog stations and muffler shops, (I really hate this state) so looks like I'm screwed.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTo...earchTool.aspx

The coils and plugs on the driver side that supposedly caused the problem have been replaced.

So back to my other question. Is it ok to just replace one side to see if that will fix my problem, or will the back pressure differential throw something else off? These things like $1100 for the driver side and $1300 for the other. (did I say how much I hate this state ).
Yes, I read that also. Thank you for adding the link for everybody.

I also, have confirmed it with a smog and muffler shops.

At first, I thought they were scared, and quickly realized, they all, have been keeping a close eye on things.

They want to make more money, and as soon as there is a way for them to legally do that, they will.

I went to LV, NV., and there were a couple of places that would sell and install the CATs for me, but they are all so well trained. They knew it will not pass, because the factory number is not present on an aftermarket CAT.

And no, a person can not weld the number on an aftermarket CAT.

For now, having the CATs replaced, would restore my great mileage I use to have.

I will Use the 'Cataclean" first, at $25 a bottle, from AMAZON. I'm buying 2 bottles.

As for pressure differential, no, when you have two CATs, each bank is effected separately.

Are you sure yours are plugged:
Very little gas escaping?
Drivers/passenger floorboards overheating?
Visually orange glowing CATs after a drive?

How long until you have to be tested again?

Just so the ECM will read the sensors correctly, put the correct CATs on, just so you can get better mileage, and less stress on the motor. It's going to be around $250.

You will need find a friend that will do the work for you.

In Cali, you will not locate a reputable shop that will do it.

If you are so inclined, when it is time to test, pull the old assembly, install the new assembly, do the test, swap them back to the aftermarket, until it is time to test again.

You'll have fresh CATs to test with, in the future.

Tim

2006 Expedition XLT, 110k Miles

Old 01-31-2012, 05:31 PM
P70FT
New User
Tim... I don't need a smog until April. The reason I need to change them is that I have very little power on the freeway. Ken Grody ford said both cats were plugged and wanted $3100 to replace them. They changed the #5 & 6 coils and plugs saying that's what probably caused the cat failure. If that was the case, you'd think that it would only be the driver side cat that was bad. If it's not required to change both for some sensor monitoring reason, then I think I'm going to just do the driver side, drive it and see if that fixes my problem. If, not I guess I'll need to do other as well. I just hope the dealer was correct in their diagnosis, otherwise I'll be out quite a few $$$ and a car that still doesn't run right.

Also, I havent noticed any heat through the floorboard and haven't looked to see if they were glowing.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Boat Tug
Senior User
You also might look at this product and the reviews on Amazon:
CRC 05063 Guaranteed To Pass Emissions Test Formula

My local Autozone here in CA carries it for $10.99.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:59 PM
TABLESAWTIM
New User
Hi Tom,

If you'll have someone else turn the engine off, as you are at the tail pipe, listening closely, for a hissing noise after the engine cycles down.

That is one indication of restricted flow.

Do a freeway speed drive, and stop some place safe, get underneath, in position, where you know the CAT is, looking for a orange glow.

Look at both sides, individually, per drive.

Listening, won't tell you the side that is most restricted (unless you have dual exhausts), but it will alert you to the fact it is restricted.

The CAT glow will alert the the more restricted CAT.

Tim

Old 01-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Hi guys- I am really sorry to hear of the situation..watch this and it might help you guys...and it explains the reason for the lacquer thinner.

Fixing Bad Catalytic Converters With Inefficiency Code P0420 - YouTube

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
TABLESAWTIM
New User
Hello Boat Tug,

The CRC 05063 Guaranteed To Pass Emissions Test Formula, unfortunately, it is a name of the product, not what it will actually do.

When a CAT is restricted, it is restricted. If air can't pass, the product won't past.

Great thought. Thank you.

In my situation, I have no, to low restriction, and I ordered the 'Cataclean' brand, to see what it will do, or not do.

I will let everybody know what my findings are.

Tim

Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by TABLESAWTIM
... I went to LV, NV., and there were a couple of places that would sell and install the CATs for me, but they are all so well trained. They knew it will not pass, because the factory number is not present on an aftermarket CAT.

And no, a person can not weld the number on an aftermarket CAT. ...
I have replaced the cats on ours and I don't see a number on them.
I think that was started after 2003.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:36 PM
TABLESAWTIM
New User
Hi R&T Babich,

Correct, later, they did add a serial number, to track for stolen CATs.

The people wanted it, but the The U.S.A. Gov. wanted it for may other things.

I wrote several paragraphs of how this all came about, and I clicked the back button, and lost it all.

Some other time, when I'm not so frustrated, I will write it again.

Tim

Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM
anarmsxprt
New User
Hey guys - any update for a California Expedition with plugged CAT?

p0420

Unbelievable that we MUST buy from dealer...?

Any way around this??

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-01-2012, 01:01 PM
anarmsxprt
New User
Just FYI - Magnaflow now sells a CARB California legal coverter for 2003-2004 Expy's.

They are 1/20 the cost of dealer OEM!!