Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Van Turbo, New Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Or you can regear for your load. Try the WW. I had also read the flow rate isn't effected enough to make any difference. You've read like we have guys love there Van turbo. Its not going to matter what turbo you put on there if your towing heavy loads at low rpm's with the wrong gears. This is just a different point of view, but I believe a very good point.

Chet

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Chet, but I really can't justify the expense of regearing. Plus, I actually like the rpm range I can keep it in, except the surge! So, who knows. We won't be taking off on our next trip untill late April, so I have time to play some. I am considering DP tunes, so I will talk to Jody about the air filter issue then.
I have to wonder though do stock trucks (air filter wise) surge? And just can't hear it?
Like I said, next couple of weeks might hook up and find out. I can't get the truck to surge without a load. And about to put new brakes on the trailer, so I see a test drive coming anyway!

Tom.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by trekbasso
I have to wonder though do stock trucks (air filter wise) surge? And just can't hear it?
Yes, you hit the nail on the head Tom. You just don't hear the turbo surge with the stock airbox unless you really have a tuned ear for it, you need to rely on the boost gauge to see the needle fluctuations. Just like you don't hear the turbo stall (Darth Vader sound) when the truck shifts gears at higher boost levels and the compressed air has nowhere to go but back out the intake. All the open air intakes will allow you to hear more than the stock air box.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Thanks TD. I am half tempted to put the stock air box back on it, as I never heard surge untill I did a 6637. I can moniter everything now that I have gauges on it.
Might go grab my trailer one day and drag it around and see what happens.
Of course, then I read something last week that Jody (DP) says the 6637 flows less air than a stock filter??
Now I am confused. (easy to do actually)

Tom.
here is my real world experience running the 6637 filter with Stage I injectors & Van Turbo With the WW. If I run the 6637 air filter I will not see any black some come out the tailpipe in my tow programs/tunes while towing our 32' 5th wheel camper. When I put the Ford AIS system on I would smoke untill I put the fender sleeve mod/hole in the side of the filter box to allow more air. With the stock airbox I will smoke like a coal freight train heading up a mountain pass since the air flow is reduced.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Thanks Rich, noticed your new picture. Good experience for sure.
The AIS is one mod for the future, as a lot of people seem to like it. Not sure if injectors will get done, at least not by choice. Yet anyway. Starting my second year with this stuff, sooo much to do still, plus trailer keeps asking for help! Life was so much simpler when we worked for a living!
Glad I finally got gauges on it so I can moniter everything this summer.
Appreciate all the info and please keep it coming.

Tom.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Thanks Rich, noticed your new picture. Good experience for sure.
The AIS is one mod for the future, as a lot of people seem to like it. Not sure if injectors will get done, at least not by choice. Yet anyway. Starting my second year with this stuff, sooo much to do still, plus trailer keeps asking for help! Life was so much simpler when we worked for a living!
Glad I finally got gauges on it so I can moniter everything this summer.
Appreciate all the info and please keep it coming.

Tom.
Were you able to get the wicked wheel in?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
No, not yet. I am waiting to gather some more info before going that route, although it is the cheapest way for me to go. IF it cures the surge.