1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Door panel fasteners

Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Wait! I found something you didn't? Again, my ears still ring - chugalug.

I found it in Illustrations in the Interior Trim Section Page 13. That diagram is for 80/86 F100/F350 Regular Cab models, so I knew I didn't need to go to the text side to check for application.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis

I found it in Illustrations in the Interior Trim Section Page 13. That diagram is for 80/86 F100/F350 Regular Cab models, so I knew I didn't need to go to the text side to check for application.
Ah....

I looked in the illustrations section just to find any occurrence of that number, then had the computer search through the Text section... it found ONE occurrence, and *it* didn't specify applications.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis

Be careful doing that. It can lead you astray.

For instance the comon part number, 40700, for a tailgate will get you more than one tailgate that will fit most everything. Doesn't mean all 40700s are interchangeable.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Be careful doing that. It can lead you astray.

For instance the comon part number, 40700, for a tailgate will get you more than one tailgate that will fit most everything. Doesn't mean all 40700s are interchangeable.
Now that you say that I remember finding the same thing about many other parts. My bad! Thanks for telling/reminding me, as I certainly had forgotten.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's worth adding that if you have a good junkyard in your area, you can find the push pins on most junked trucks. I've found several where the panels had already been pulled to get to the door innards, and they were available by the handful... one of those things we don't often think of when rooting around for parts, but always nice to have plenty of spares.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
It's worth adding that if you have a good junkyard in your area, you can find the push pins on most junked trucks. I've found several where the panels had already been pulled to get to the door innards, and they were available by the handful... one of those things we don't often think of when rooting around for parts, but always nice to have plenty of spares.
Yes, they're available.

But 90% of the ones I see in junkyards are worthless; many/most of the little plastic wings have been stripped off, rendering them virtually useless.

I now consider them single-use items.

They can be found in blister packages in auto parts but they're exceedingly expensive that way.

Here are three sites that sell 'em in packs of 25 for ~$5 + shipping:

ClipsAndFasteners.com - Automotive Retainers,Clips and Fasteners
The Cliphouse Nationwide
Auto Body Clips - Auto Body Clips

Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Yes, they're available.

But 90% of the ones I see in junkyards are worthless; many/most of the little plastic wings have been stripped off, rendering them virtually useless.

They can be found in blister packages in auto parts but they're exceedingly expensive that way.

The Cliphouse Nationwide
Thanks for the links..Chris.

My brother gave me a handful for my truck when I re-did my door panels and fixed the electric motors.
He does upholstery work and gets them in bulk...

I will check with him also for the supplier...Trav..

Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, they're available.

The Cliphouse Nationwide
I found them locally for about the same price at an Auto Detailers supply house. They had a wall designated to fasteners.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
DedboltF83
New User
Yes, they're available.

The Cliphouse Nationwide
Thanks for the links Ctubutis. I want to put my door panels back on since I am almost done redoing the interior. None of the normal parts stores here carry them anymore. Will have to order them online. Oh well...at least they will be cheaper. Just wanted to get my interior back togethor while I could. Or at least some of it anyway. Still need to repaint the dash.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by DedboltF83
Thanks for the links Ctubutis.
Welcome.

I want to put my door panels back on since I am almost done redoing the interior.
I purchased 100 of these things from Clips and Fasteners; I used some on my brother's 1993 Taurus SHO, the others are for my DD 1986 Tempo and 1981 F350:

Door Panel Retainers Ford

Still need to repaint the dash.
Hmmm.... a fair number of people here have done that, and I did it for the first time this past summer to the Taurus.

Preparation is key... Some links for ya:

Em and her truck:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...b-edition.html

My project this past summer, my brother's Taurus:

I agree with the book, this is best done with two people - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM
DedboltF83
New User
I have 25 coming from clips and fasteners. Shipping was about the same as the clips...i hate that . Oh well, still only $8 bucks for them and I can put my nice new looking (almost) door panels back on.

Ctubutis, Em's rebuild thread is what I gave me the idea to redo everything. Just gotta figure out how to get the last 4 bolts out of the dash. The ones on the sides by the doors. BTW, that Taurus looked like a nightmare to do.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 PM
ctubutis
Yeah, the Taurus was a summer-long project, and I don't really get into the A/C and other mechanical things in that thread (seeing as how the forum is for interiors & aesthetics and such).

As for the dash bolts, the 10mm things on the edges? I don't recall having problems with them....?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 PM
DedboltF83
New User
Yeah, the Taurus was a summer-long project, and I don't really get into the A/C and other mechanical things in that thread (seeing as how the forum is for interiors & aesthetics and such).

As for the dash bolts, the 10mm things on the edges? I don't recall having problems with them....?
No, these are recessed Phillips head screws on the very sides of the dash. 2 on each side. Need to pull the door weatherstrip to get to them. Or so I thought, the metal lip the weatherstrip sits on is in the way to get to the screws.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 PM
ctubutis
No, these are recessed Phillips head screws on the very sides of the dash. 2 on each side. Need to pull the door weatherstrip to get to them. Or so I thought, the metal lip the weatherstrip sits on is in the way to get to the screws.
Huh.... I don't remember encountering Phillips-head screws there... I wonder if it's something a PO enhanced for you....

Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 AM
DedboltF83
New User
Door Clips arrived and fit perfectly..woohoo. Door panels are back on. Just had to reverse my wood grain panels where the window crank is. Switched mine from right to left on accident. They are not interchangeable like I thought. lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door panel fasteners