Sponsored by:

Roll Bar/Rollcage

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
01EX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll Bar/Rollcage

This thread was intially started by, House DAD, in 2006.

Refer to his thread. Roll Bar / rollcage

Has anyone put in a roll bar/ cage in the X yet?

Motus Engineering.com has an external Cage that have attached to the F250's.
See the before F250 over the cliff witout it and a Dodge that is equipped with it.
I shot them an e-mail to see if they have something for the X.

I've seen some photo's of the roof structure after a roller over.

See: Ford Excursion Rollovers. Com

Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
I would much rather be in the oversized vehicle then the undersized one. The Ford Excursion Rollovers. Com site looks like an ambulance chaser, since the lawyer states that "If you or a loved one have been seriously injured or a loved one has been killed in SUV Rollover Accident, call us" They have pictures on Excursions and Expeditions. If you fear rolling over, drowning inside or falling off a cliff in your Excursion then I suggest you sell it and stick to public transportation.

Now if you really just want a roll bar in your Excursion then that is your call and your taste. My CJ7 has one. I may even upgrade it to a 4 point, but that is a way different vehicle then the X.

Good luck.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:42 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
That would be pretty awesome if it was all built up with a roof rack the whole length of the roof. Maybe some ladders on each side.

I can picture it, but dang it is gonna be expensive.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

I would like one also....inside though......no one makes them for retail that I can find.....

Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 01EX
I've seen some photo's of the roof structure after a roller over.
See: Ford Excursion Rollovers. Com
Hahahaha that's such a hack ambulance chaser website. The pictures don't even scare me. All the Excursion roll over pics I've seen show a reasonable amount of crushing, expected on a rollover. If you travel the speed limits an exercise caution, there is little to worry about.

That Motus ROPS unit is pretty slick. Since it is bolted to the frame, might be hard to get a similar design in the Ex. I'd look for an inside the body design fabbed up by a local shop that specializes and knows how to install them. You will loose interior space though.

To be honest, if I'm going over a cliff thinking "I wish I had a roll cage", I want that to be my last thought before I meet my maker, not "Damn, I'll be f-ed up BAD but I hope this roll cage works"

A cage makes sense if you're rock crawling or doing extreme hills.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:51 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

They are a heavy vehicle.....and the roof cannot support it's weight very well.....you have had to see the recent posting on here.....not what I would call a reasonable amout of crushing with my kids in it.....none is what I am looking for.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
If you're wheeling an Ex in places with a risk of a rollover, get a jeep, zuki or sumpthin' small and agile. You can use the Ex to pull it to the trails - JMO.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

I wasn't even thinking about wheeling.....that would likely be a softer roll over...it's the highway evasive manuevers at speed that worry me

Old 01-29-2012, 06:04 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
At speed manuevers are a dilemma - didn't think of that. Might be best to plow ahead depending on the situation and people involved.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

It likely is best to plow ahead.... but your instinct is going to be to steer away I am afraid.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM
01EX
Senior User
So far, no one has installed a roll bar in the X for every day use?

There are not alot of photo's out there showing the roofs, THATS GOOD, other then the web site I mentioned and a few others photo's I've seen.

The X has a potential to fall short of being the KING with the roof design and the wrong circumstances.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The excursions I have seen in rollovers looked a lot better than the super duty trucks I have seen in rollovers. Any off road or race shop can custom fab a cage to go in your truck, if thats what you want. Its not safe to have bars anywhere near the head of an occupant in a vehicle unless they are in a safety harness and wearing a helmet, though, so unless you don't use yours to carry passengers you would have to have a long hard talk with the roll cage builder about that.

There are no vehicles that I have seen that have this "zero intrusion" that is desired in a roll over. All vehicle will have some give, and any heavy *** truck like an excursion is probably gonna have more.

The motus cage looks sweet, though I can't image any way to design something similar for the excursion that wouldn't have to pass through the roof at some point. That cage transfers rollover forces to the frame, and even if you built outriggers off the frame to the sides of the excursion you would be concentrating all the rollover forces onto something on a lever hanging out at a 90 degree angle, I just can't see that behind strong enough. Another consideration is that newer trucks have fully boxed frames that are a lot stronger than the ladder style frames like we have under the excursions....

Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
anyone watch the video on the motus sight? kinda BS cause they call a superduty an "F150" and it takes a real hard hit square on the roof at the bottom, and then they test a ram, which is a totally different model, and the way it falls it doesn't take a single hard hit to the roof. Not saying it doesn't provide protection, but I am saying the video doesn't prove it.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 AM
01EX
Senior User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
The excursions I have seen in rollovers looked a lot better than the super duty trucks I have seen in rollovers. Any off road or race shop can custom fab a cage to go in your truck, if thats what you want. Its not safe to have bars anywhere near the head of an occupant in a vehicle unless they are in a safety harness and wearing a helmet, though, so unless you don't use yours to carry passengers you would have to have a long hard talk with the roll cage builder about that.

There are no vehicles that I have seen that have this "zero intrusion" that is desired in a roll over. All vehicle will have some give, and any heavy *** truck like an excursion is probably gonna have more.

The motus cage looks sweet, though I can't image any way to design something similar for the excursion that wouldn't have to pass through the roof at some point. That cage transfers rollover forces to the frame, and even if you built outriggers off the frame to the sides of the excursion you would be concentrating all the rollover forces onto something on a lever hanging out at a 90 degree angle, I just can't see that behind strong enough. Another consideration is that newer trucks have fully boxed frames that are a lot stronger than the ladder style frames like we have under the excursions....

My thought would be 2 loops inside.One at te B pillar and one at the C.
Out side Luggage carrier style, extending forward of B pillar , 3/4 of the way to the A pillar.Horizontal pipe out side attached at B and C pillar loops and attached at rear D pillar.
Only piping inside will be at B+C pillars (loops).
By having most of the pipe outside it would lesson head impact with inside piping.

End result added safety,luggage rack, REAL TRUCK LOOK.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:20 AM
01EX
Senior User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
anyone watch the video on the motus sight? kinda BS cause they call a superduty an "F150" and it takes a real hard hit square on the roof at the bottom, and then they test a ram, which is a totally different model, and the way it falls it doesn't take a single hard hit to the roof. Not saying it doesn't provide protection, but I am saying the video doesn't prove it.
I agree, it was a superduty they pushed over the cliff.

The dodge is a different design. The dodge did take a hard impact to the roof. I watched it a few times and saw at the end it took an impact,but not as hard as the ford though.

Quick Reply: Roll Bar/Rollcage