Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 AM
New User

René1234 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where to find power wire for backup camera and monitor ?

Hello Ford Expedition Enthusiasts,

Last month I have installed a backup camera (inside on the liftgate door) and a monitor (left at the drivers dash) in my 2007 FE-EL Eddie Bauer. I used the power wire to the fog back light - the fog back light is mandatory here in the Netherlands, and I had them installed when importing the car from Florida. The power to the fog back lights runs only when first the front fog lights are turned un (the standard light switch pulled out).

I'm not so happy with this, since I now can only view my cam when putting fog front lights on.

Question: Is there a powered wire (always on when driving, e.g. for back lights) where I can tap on the power cable for monitor and camera ? Hopefully located in the left front, down near the pedal moving switch or in the wirng running underneath the step boards ?

Thanks !

Regards from the Netherlands, René.

P.S. If somebody is interested on the wiring and instalation of the camera and monitor, please let me know and I will upload the pictures I have made.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 AM
Posting Guru

Ironhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputation
Ironhand03
You need to find a 12V power source that is hot only when you need it.

Your best bet would be to try to tie it into the reverse selector somehow. That way it only comes on when the car goes into reverse.

You probably could pull power from the reverse lights since these only come on when in reverse as long as the amperage pulled from the system isnt higher then it can take.

*Click Here To Join*
98 Expedition. 4x4, DD
03 DSG SVT Cobra(Aiming For 1,000rwhp, Blower Only)
2012 Ford Fusion. SEL AWD, Fully Loaded.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 AM
New User

Alternative ?

Hello,

I would prefer to be able to use the cam anytime, e.g. fir monitoring the load during hauling. Is here any wire nearby the lowr left dash area that is hot when driving ? If yes, what color(-s) dies it have ?

Thanks !

René
Old 01-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Elder User

chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have the HD trailer tow package there's the "12v Aux (trailer battery charge)" connection that's hot all the time the ignition is ON.

-- Chuck
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 AM
New User

Hello Check - do you have a clue about the color code of this wire to identify it ? Is it running along the left side of the car underneath the door step panels ?
Thanks !
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Elder User

chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
At the round RV connector (HD Tow) the standard wire color is black. Shows as OG in the diagram below. Pretty sure there's a connector at the back of the truck where the wire may change color as I've been told the "Bargman" RV connector can be added. If a separate harness runs back there there should be a Blue wire in it for the electric brakes. (Click on the little photos to get to the links.)

There's a required relay and fuse in the trailer tow power panel on top of the radiator shroud that has to be installed. Came loose in a bag with new vehicle..

Not sure the wiring is there if you don't have HD tow.

-- Chuck
Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Senior User

gpfarrell is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did installed a back up camera in our '07 Navigator L.

Underneath the passenger's seat you'll find a green wire with a brown stripe. Actually, two of them!

One of them is the lead for the back up lights, and should you decide to use your camera strictly as a back-up cam, that wire is hot once you select reverse.

If you search the subject, or even posts by me, you'll find more details.

Good luck. For your intentions, the trailering harness sounds great.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Senior User

TCAS007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
René,
where did you install the fog lights at the tail?
Are red turn signals allowed in NL? They're not in many EU countries and most convert the backup lights as turn signal

Did you solve the problem? Show us a pic of the back of your Expedition please.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:03 PM
New User

Cris007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2007 Naviagtor back-up camera power

Hi friends,
Thanks for posting all this info.
I have a 2007 Navigator and was wondering if I'd be able to find power wires for the back-up lights in the lift-gate.
I'm looking to install a wireless back-up camera (above the license plate) and all I would need is the back-up / reverse 12v to power it up when backing-up.

Your help is much appreciated!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM
New User

outdoorguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
backup wires in liftgate?

I'm looking too. Just picked up the Magellan gps with backup camera. "Hoping " the back up light wire is already there in standard harness since it is a factory option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris007 View Post
Hi friends,
Thanks for posting all this info.
I have a 2007 Navigator and was wondering if I'd be able to find power wires for the back-up lights in the lift-gate.
I'm looking to install a wireless back-up camera (above the license plate) and all I would need is the back-up / reverse 12v to power it up when backing-up.

Your help is much appreciated!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 PM
New User

mwells is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just completed this identical installation. I had a wiring diagram for the factory bu camera and tried to locate the power supply for that without success.
I ran a separate wire from the backup lamp, neatly along the gasket, and then alongside the flexible boot which goes into the lift gate (attach it with a lightly tightened cable tie. This will get power to the transmitter.
I connected a second ground wire to one of the bolts holding the wiper motor, and routed down into the gate. I secured the transmitter to a brace with 3m double sided mounting tape and a cable tie. Gather all neatly with cable ties and secure them.
I led the camera wire through the license plate light, by removing the assembly from the outside, routing the cable ( leave enough slack for removal ), and reinstalling the assembly.
Test the installation before you button it up. My works great. Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 PM