Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why dont you sell that truck...well because of the smell!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
88leadsled
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"new car smell" or "black ice" don't compare to "88 f150" smell". Thats the smell of great memories

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
slampig5spd
Senior User
the smell of my ol truck cant be compaired to any other truck. it smells like where ive been, seen what ive seen. its a lil hint of everthing from everywhere ive been . burning mud,rubber,fire,cold steal. a combination of womans perfumes, cigars, the river and beach. and ill continue to take er with me. almost wish i could get it in a colgne

Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM
RJJP
Senior User
Originally Posted by fosgate forever
I put over 6k in the bed of my 01 dually many times, never broke a spring, rode quite nice when I had all that weight actually.

Not sure how you can compare "level out", you're also comparing diesel to gas. I think gas motors are misplaced in trucks, lots will disagree but its the truth.

Lets compare your diesel to my diesel, eh? towing, 60-0, 0-60, cold starts, throttle response etc. Right?

They dont make them like they use to cause they make them better. If you havnt figured it out my 08 has a 6.4.
By level out, I was talking about the suspension, making the truck sit level, how does that have to do with the engine, it's suspension.
I will agree that them little gas motors don't belong in the trucks. Now how did you blow a 6.4 with only 650 hp?

Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Originally Posted by RJJP
By level out, I was talking about the suspension, making the truck sit level, how does that have to do with the engine, it's suspension.
I will agree that them little gas motors don't belong in the trucks. Now how did you blow a 6.4 with only 650 hp?
I never said it had anything to do with the engine. I said you cant compare a truck capacity to "leveling out" when they're 2 completely different setups, there's more to the picture then "looks level"

My engine isnt 100% blown, it still starts and runs, but has compression popping, sounds like 1 or more exhaust rockers broke. Probably bent some pushrods, i'm assuming that its toast so as not to get my hopes up. And since i'm tearing it apart i'm not going to repair it, i'm going big, and might as well. Truck has 140k already and i drive it hard, so I'm designing roller rockers and mechanical pushrods for it. As well as many many other parts going in. I'm going to finish my 88 and 87 since they are so close then the 08 goes under the knife. New turbos, ported heads etc. Shooting for 800hp+ fuel only.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know why the old F series smells the way it does. If you ever get into one and it drips from the top of the windshield and where the cab meets-inside the truck..then you understand its mildew or something lol.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 PM
732t37
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think gas motors are misplaced in trucks, lots will disagree but its the truth.
Count me among the dissenters. I used to love diesel for a variety of reasons, the largest being reliability and the fact it doesn't need electricity to run. The benefit of being able to burn anything that remotely resembled the fuel it was designed for, and the torque, were not lost on me either. In theory, it's an awesome deal.

Diesels 97+ have little to none of these characteristics. They require 50,000 mile PMs at several hundred dollars each, sometimes thousands; they can't burn half of the diesel fuel sold as such at the pump, and they have more electronics than a gas BMW. Torque is still good, but on the whole it's a lot more of a headache than a gasser that can go to 250,000 with only oil changes and MAYBE sparkplug replacement.

I'm the in-house mechanic for a fleet right now. We're phasing out our diesels because they fail very ungracefully and are a gigantic headache to keep running every day. The $8,000 upfront cost, combined with the fuel, maintenance, and downtime expenses are no longer justifiable when compared to our gas engines. I have instructed the drivers to never turn the diesel trucks off from the time they leave the yard until they get back the next morning.

Cow **** IS required in all 50.

I love opening the hood of my 87 IDI and seeing almost nothing but the battery and the engine itself. If it has fuel and air, it's good to go. Nothing to it.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
there is NO way an older truck is going to show up a newer one.

we have a group of them on this board alone that will. however from the customer level of this why do i have customers telling who do own both , the 08+ gen superdutys and the 97 down body trucks that their older trucks perform better? ALL 6.7 turbo diesels use the urea , it is a federal mandate sorta thing

Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 AM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Originally Posted by 732t37
Count me among the dissenters. I used to love diesel for a variety of reasons, the largest being reliability and the fact it doesn't need electricity to run. The benefit of being able to burn anything that remotely resembled the fuel it was designed for, and the torque, were not lost on me either. In theory, it's an awesome deal.

Diesels 97+ have little to none of these characteristics. They require 50,000 mile PMs at several hundred dollars each, sometimes thousands; they can't burn half of the diesel fuel sold as such at the pump, and they have more electronics than a gas BMW. Torque is still good, but on the whole it's a lot more of a headache than a gasser that can go to 250,000 with only oil changes and MAYBE sparkplug replacement.

I'm the in-house mechanic for a fleet right now. We're phasing out our diesels because they fail very ungracefully and are a gigantic headache to keep running every day. The $8,000 upfront cost, combined with the fuel, maintenance, and downtime expenses are no longer justifiable when compared to our gas engines. I have instructed the drivers to never turn the diesel trucks off from the time they leave the yard until they get back the next morning.

Cow **** IS required in all 50.

I love opening the hood of my 87 IDI and seeing almost nothing but the battery and the engine itself. If it has fuel and air, it's good to go. Nothing to it.
then how do you explain 212,000 miles on my 00 7.3. With original transmission, over 300 drag passes when to date i replaced, water pump, UVC harness clips and the oil. Not sure where this thousands in repairs comes from. I traded that truck in on good standing for the 08

What i meant by "required" is after it rolls off the lot, its not required to have anymore. tuners easily turn off that function.

I have installed vegistrokes on many of the 99-03 7.3s and they all operate perfectly, they can burn whatever diesel you want to put in them, not sure how that fits into your "theory" yes the newer diesels are more finicky, but that also do things we couldnt dream of doing with older trucks. Thats the truth plain and simple.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:31 AM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Originally Posted by jk89cat

we have a group of them on this board alone that will. however from the customer level of this why do i have customers telling who do own both , the 08+ gen superdutys and the 97 down body trucks that their older trucks perform better? ALL 6.7 turbo diesels use the urea , it is a federal mandate sorta thing
Show me the older truck that gets better mileage, makes more power, tows more, has more in bed capacity, rides smoother stops better, accelerates faster, handles better and has better factory amenities and i'll show you a truck with thousands upon thousands in work to do what a lightly modded stock truck will or i'll show you a newer truck that someone placed old VIN's on.

I dont believe that your customers say their old trucks perform better, my 96 is a DOG, its so slow its pathetic. I can do all i want to it but i know in the end its not going to even come close to a lightly modded diesel, not by a long shot. And not nearly as close for the money.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
I never said it had anything to do with the engine. I said you cant compare a truck capacity to "leveling out" when they're 2 completely different setups, there's more to the picture then "looks level"

My engine isnt 100% blown, it still starts and runs, but has compression popping, sounds like 1 or more exhaust rockers broke. Probably bent some pushrods, i'm assuming that its toast so as not to get my hopes up. And since i'm tearing it apart i'm not going to repair it, i'm going big, and might as well. Truck has 140k already and i drive it hard, so I'm designing roller rockers and mechanical pushrods for it. As well as many many other parts going in. I'm going to finish my 88 and 87 since they are so close then the 08 goes under the knife. New turbos, ported heads etc. Shooting for 800hp+ fuel only.
pushrods? doesn't that 6.4 have overhead cams?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:26 AM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
fosgate quit talking out your *** ,,,,,

Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Originally Posted by octaneforce
pushrods? doesn't that 6.4 have overhead cams?
No
Originally Posted by jk89cat
fosgate quit talking out your *** ,,,,,
I'm not talking out of my ***, there are alot of delusional people in here. In any event i'm tired of talking about it. I'm not trying to convert anyone, the old trucks are great trucks, but they aren't better, not by a long shot.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
keeping telling yourself that fosgate ,

Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Seeing as how i own both, i dont need to tell myself anything. I have both ends of the spectrum. Anyhow i'm finished with it, "definition of insanity..."

Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
[quote=fosgate forever;11370268]No

so in 2008 ford still had a pushrod truck motor? i need to educate myself on the newer stuff. im not trying to flame you whatsoever. im a bigger fan of pushrod motors than sohc/dohc motors. good luck with your next build on it

Quick Reply: Why dont you sell that truck...well because of the smell!!