Sponsored by: Moser

Which steps should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:02 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford8502
Any luck finding your boards yet? I'd like to see a picture of them installed and hear your opinion of the materials/quality.
It will be a little longer, I called a week or so ago and was told 3-4 more weeks. Hopefully I'll have them soon, I will make sure to post pictures.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM
cdnfireman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the ICI's on my 2011 supercrew and am not impressed with them at all. Cheap brackets that flex, poor fastening system for installing boards to brackets.... wish I'd just spent the extra and got proper running boards...

Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cdnfireman
I installed the ICI's on my 2011 supercrew and am not impressed with them at all. Cheap brackets that flex, poor fastening system for installing boards to brackets.... wish I'd just spent the extra and got proper running boards...
Oh. That puts a different light on it. Can you give some more details / pictures to compare? The problem is that there are not many choices out there when it comes to W2W boards for an screw 6.5' bed. And that's what I really want.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:02 PM
RyPow
Junior User
flixden, my vote is for the Luvernes for the same reason as a few others have mentioned - they are more flat and thus you run less of a chance of slipping off them if you don't happen to be stepping on one of the pads.

I'm considering them for my truck. Need to shop around and see what the Canadian pricing is like. I like the build quality of the N-Fab 6-step bars but not the design (individual drop steps off the main bar vs. the clean, continuous look of the Luvernes).

The problem I see with most of the W2W bars is how they mount. Most of them float that bed portion out there with no mount or support past the rear door. I'd look at the mounting points of both. If only one had a mount back by the bed portion, I would go with that one. If they both do, I would get the stainless.
If the rear end of the bars mounted to the box for support, I could see some major issues resulting from frame flex and the movement of the box and cab independent from each other. The bars would become a structural member, limiting this motion which is natural for pickup trucks over uneven road surface. I don't feel that the 14" or so hanging behind the rearmost bracket would cause any problems. Just don't do jumping contests off those ends....use good judgement.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Ford8502
More Turbo
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by RyPow
flixden, my vote is for the Luvernes for the same reason as a few others have mentioned - they are more flat and thus you run less of a chance of slipping off them if you don't happen to be stepping on one of the pads.

I'm considering them for my truck. Need to shop around and see what the Canadian pricing is like. I like the build quality of the N-Fab 6-step bars but not the design (individual drop steps off the main bar vs. the clean, continuous look of the Luvernes).

If the rear end of the bars mounted to the box for support, I could see some major issues resulting from frame flex and the movement of the box and cab independent from each other. The bars would become a structural member, limiting this motion which is natural for pickup trucks over uneven road surface. I don't feel that the 14" or so hanging behind the rearmost bracket would cause any problems. Just don't do jumping contests off those ends....use good judgement.
You're right about the rear bracket. Once I started researching more I realized all brackets would have to be on the cab, or to the frame. I like the brackets better on the Luvernes, but the Omega steps bars are only half there structurally. They are just a flat top surface with a rolled front edge to give the look of a tube. I haven't seen any in person but I'm not thrilled with that design. But they do have a more rearward 4th mount that attaches to the frame too.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
You're right about the rear bracket. Once I started researching more I realized all brackets would have to be on the cab, or to the frame. I like the brackets better on the Luvernes, but the Omega steps bars are only half there structurally. They are just a flat top surface with a rolled front edge to give the look of a tube. I haven't seen any in person but I'm not thrilled with that design. But they do have a more rearward 4th mount that attaches to the frame too.
How do I find out about the mounts? I have never seen any of them in person ....

Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W2W here...no flex what-so-ever on the bed access step. They look better too! Three brackets with this setup...and the rearward two are under the backdoor. Should be very similar with the 09+. The main tube is 3"

Old 03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Ford8502
More Turbo
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
How do I find out about the mounts? I have never seen any of them in person ....
I was comparing the pictures on the websites. The Luverne site lists the specific item numbers when you look up the steps (per truck model). Click on the item number and it opens the instruction page showing the parts. There are separate item numbers for both the step bars and the mounting brackets.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:13 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Thanks Ford8572 & McDavis!

Originally Posted by cdnfireman
cdnfireman, do you have pictures? That would be nice to see how they look!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
RyPow
Junior User
How about the MegaStep? Does anyone know if the polished tubing is actually a full tube or only "half there" like the O-Mega?

Steps part number 575108
Brackets part number 570929

Old 03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Oh, now I see what you mean with the "half tube" when looking at the instructions.
Good point. Darn, I would have been very surprised if I would have ordered these. That's weird, I am wondering if the product is really as shown in the instructions. I would have expected the full oval tube. Thanks for pointing this out, so now the Luverne's are out I guess. Hmmm.

Here are the instructions with a drawing of the steps - in case somebody wonders:
http://www.luvernetruck.com/Product_...4_-551780-.pdf

Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM
cen_tex
Freshman User
Have you considered having FX2 steps put on there? From what I've seen they appear to drop down futher and stick out a little better than the factory oval tubes. I'll be following this one closely as I'm in the same boat and need to add steps to mine when it arrives.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cen_tex
Have you considered having FX2 steps put on there? From what I've seen they appear to drop down futher and stick out a little better than the factory oval tubes. I'll be following this one closely as I'm in the same boat and need to add steps to mine when it arrives.
What are FX2 steps? Do you have a link or picture by any chance?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 AM
cen_tex
Freshman User
No pics. Next time you see a F150 FX2/FX4/Lariat with steps take a look at them. They should bolt right up to the XLT's. I haven't measured them or anything like that but they do look more functional that the ones offered on the XLT. I've tried the XLT' steps and will have to agree with most other folks that they are not very useful.

There is a guy at work with a F250 FX2 with steps that drop a lot more that any of the F150 steps. It's a regular cab 2WD diesel and his brackets probably drop the steps down 5 or 6 inches. I'm pretty sure it's factory steps. Looks just like the F150 steps with different brackets.

I wonder if Ford engineered these steps all the same but with different brackets for different frames?

Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 PM
sranderle
Junior User
Anyone tried the Luverne Gripsteps? Still struggling with the step decision. I'm thinking these or Luvurne O-Megas.

Quick Reply: Which steps should I get?