Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Junior User

traildogg is starting off with a positive reputation.
WHAT IS THE REAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUPERDUTY XL AND XLT???

My truck is a 2002 f250 superduty xl accordind to the badges it sez xl but inside it came with power windows/locks, tilt steering, 4x4 electronic shift manual cloth seats, trailer tow hitch 7 pin connector and a v10 with auto tranny...what is or suppose to be the difference between the two xl vs xlt i thought the xl was a plain jane model roll down windows with manual locks mine never came with these options but sed xl??? if i was to swap or add parts what would i need to make my truck an xlt? so i want to change the badges over...so far i have added superduty rear slider window, lariat captain heated seats, fog lamps king ranch front and rear bumpers with sensors, newer style 04 headlights marker cab lights vent shade tint 20'' aftermarket wheels cb stereo...anything else an xlt has that i missed please let me know thanx.
2002 Ford F250, extended cab, shortbox, 4x4, v10, auto, 3:73 gears, 4'' Procomp suspension, dual steering stabilizers, 35'' Duratracs on 20'' American Eagle wheels,Dynomax Race Bullet exhuast.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogg View Post
My truck is a 2002 f250 superduty xl accordind to the badges it sez xl but inside it came with power windows/locks, tilt steering, 4x4 electronic shift manual cloth seats, trailer tow hitch 7 pin connector and a v10 with auto tranny...what is or suppose to be the difference between the two xl vs xlt i thought the xl was a plain jane model roll down windows with manual locks mine never came with these options but sed xl??? if i was to swap or add parts what would i need to make my truck an xlt? so i want to change the badges over...so far i have added superduty rear slider window, lariat captain heated seats, fog lamps king ranch front and rear bumpers with sensors, newer style 04 headlights marker cab lights vent shade tint 20'' aftermarket wheels cb stereo...anything else an xlt has that i missed please let me know thanx.
Your truck is an XL, because that's what it was built as. You can have all the same features as an XLT, but that doesn't make it so IMHO.

Why does it matter what it's labelled as?

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM

2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildogg View Post
So you added lariat seats, king ranch bumpers and want xlt badges??? I don't get it, but it's not for me to judge... Anyways, hopefully this link will give you some idea of the differences:

2002 F-Series Super Duty Overview

XL and up
Passenger's side roof ride handles standard on all trim levels
Passenger rear seating grab handles standard on Crew Cab
New instrument cluster with transmission temperature gauge standard on models equipped with an automatic transmission
Map pockets with integrated drink holders standard on SuperCab rear doors
Color-keyed cloth, single-blade visor with map strap on the driver's side. Single-blade visor with mirror insert on the passenger's side standard on XL

XLT and up
New seats and increased bolster height and shoulder width
Improved lumbar support system, providing greater range of adjustment

Lariat
Six-way power passenger's seat standard on Crew Cab models
Larger overhead console with garage door opener and sunglasses bin

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior User

FarmingF250 has a good reputation on FTE.FarmingF250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Didn't the XL's have the sealed beam headlights and all XLT and up have the halogens?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Posting Guru

carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmingF250 View Post
Didn't the XL's have the sealed beam headlights and all XLT and up have the halogens?

Not always. There are some XL models that were built with the halogen composite headlights. I called them XL+ trucks but a lot of them had a nicer seat in them when it came with that option. I currently own 2 XL models-one with sealed beams and one with composite halogens.

I wanted to put a flatbed on the 2001 (since it needs a bed) to pull trailers for the farm but have since decided that I would rather pay off some other debts first.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Junior User

falconpilot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet View Post
So you added lariat seats, king ranch bumpers and want xlt badges??? I don't get it, but it's not for me to judge... Anyways, hopefully this link will give you some idea of the differences:

2002 F-Series Super Duty Overview

XL and up
Passenger's side roof ride handles standard on all trim levels
Passenger rear seating grab handles standard on Crew Cab
New instrument cluster with transmission temperature gauge standard on models equipped with an automatic transmission
Map pockets with integrated drink holders standard on SuperCab rear doors
Color-keyed cloth, single-blade visor with map strap on the driver's side. Single-blade visor with mirror insert on the passenger's side standard on XL

XLT and up
New seats and increased bolster height and shoulder width
Improved lumbar support system, providing greater range of adjustment

Lariat
Six-way power passenger's seat standard on Crew Cab models
Larger overhead console with garage door opener and sunglasses bin

I can not find the same info for 2003, can somebody post a link?

Thanks
Dennis

2003 F250 XL 4X4 V10 Manual Trans Manual Hubs
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 DOHC in Ticket Red
2009 Ford Taurus Limited
Old 01-29-2012, 06:38 AM

2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconpilot View Post
I can not find the same info for 2003, can somebody post a link?

Thanks
Dennis
2003 Ford Superduty Overview

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Old 01-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Junior User

Thanx to all for your replies...u was confused by the fact that i have seen superduty trucks with manual roll down windows i thought these were the xl and anything power was xlt???
Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Senior User

Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is there an un-named base model for 1999 F-250? I have no XL (or otherwise) badges on my truck, title, registration, etc. Mine has the electronic transfer, composite lights and rear sliding window, but has no carpet, vinyl seats, manual windows & door locks, no tilt, no cruise, etc.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
No,the base model is an XL.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Senior User

onedcharette is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyclopse View Post
Is there an un-named base model for 1999 F-250? I have no XL (or otherwise) badges on my truck, title, registration, etc. Mine has the electronic transfer, composite lights and rear sliding window, but has no carpet, vinyl seats, manual windows & door locks, no tilt, no cruise, etc.
didnt they have a "work truck" model in 99? seems like i remember those.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Senior User

Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford View Post
No,the base model is an XL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedcharette View Post
didnt they have a "work truck" model in 99? seems like i remember those.
Would it be common for either of these models to have no badging whatsoever?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Posting Guru

2002 F350V10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The xl trucks came with the basic items like roll up windows, etc, but you could have ordered most options separately, ala carte on a one by one basis if you desired.

The xlt package trucks came standard with better cloth seats in a 40 20 40 style, power windows, locks , autolamp, keyless entry, jeweled headlights, chrome bumpers, carpeted floor, chrome accented grill, an am fm cd cassette radio, nicer map light, door pockets, color keyed door side moldings, key tailgate handle, and chrome clad rims, cloth visors and headliner with a mirror on the right visor, tinted glass, and xlt badges if my memory serves me right. I had bought one new in 02.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Junior User

Thanx thats the answer i was looking for...i guess if you add alot of items yourself from newer years you can rebadge your truck to hybrid lol...if the insurance companies dont mind lol...
Old 01-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Senior User

ddbck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Kardasion-Snookie-bla bla bla just as long as you like it & as long as its FORD. lol sry had to
Old 01-30-2012, 07:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
04, 1999, 97, diesel, difference, duty, f350, ford, heavy, models, super, trucks, whats, xl, xlt