Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified B Rear Springs OR Roadmaster Active Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another option is what Joe did. He kept the Excursion springs but added the RAS. JD, since you do not want added lift, perhaps you can look into this.

What about the Landyots?...Are those still around?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM
fred5977
New User
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion

What about the Landyots?...Are those still around?

They appear to be a thing of the past. The guy making them quit, said he was trying to get a company to take over manufacturing, but that was nearly a year ago and no news on that. I unfortunately drug my feet on them a couple of months too long and missed out.

Just a quick note for the frequent posters on here from a never-poster , thanks guys. I'm sure there are a lot of guys out here like me who just absorb all of the knowledge on this forum and never feel they have anything important to say. This is great stuff. Can't wait to get my V/B conversion done (still need to find the springs, but towing my 35' TT is a nightmare).

Again, thanks to all the knowledgeable posters on here making life a bit easier for the boneheads.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
76HBoyNut
Junior User
Originally Posted by fred5977
They appear to be a thing of the past. The guy making them quit, said he was trying to get a company to take over manufacturing, but that was nearly a year ago and no news on that. I unfortunately drug my feet on them a couple of months too long and missed out.

Just a quick note for the frequent posters on here from a never-poster , thanks guys. I'm sure there are a lot of guys out here like me who just absorb all of the knowledge on this forum and never feel they have anything important to say. This is great stuff. Can't wait to get my V/B conversion done (still need to find the springs, but towing my 35' TT is a nightmare).

Again, thanks to all the knowledgeable posters on here making life a bit easier for the boneheads.
I've tried to contact the guy....seems that he is retired and sold his X (read that on another thread here if memory serves me correctly).

I bought the RAS after week of reading threads....but unfortunately never looked at my bumpstop clearance until after the RAS purchase decision. After more analysis of threads/opinions I settled on V/B.....but then got to thinking the mod B is a no-brainer because of no added cost (reuse old parts) for more performance. But then since I already have the RAS w/mod B's on stock blocks...would my tail end be up in the air???? So then I ended up with the V or X code front decision.....and I'm leaning toward's the X codes for that additional 1.2" which should be somewhat level or more towards a factory rake. Experiments.....

But I gotta nail it or I'll be hearing about it from the wife for years.....

Luckily its new to us and she hasn't driven it much (enough to notice the wander though).

I am planning on adding a 4th row at some point....as well as heavy duty front bumper....so hopefully it will all work itself out right....

Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
HBoyNut
In your previous post you say that you just got stock rims and tires. I think this may leave a pretty large gap in the wheel well and look a bit out of place.

I think with the springs your looking to add you will be wanting to fill that gap with larger tires but I don't think that is budget wise for you because of your recent purchase.

Tim M

Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
76HBoyNut
Junior User
Originally Posted by timf150
HBoyNut
In your previous post you say that you just got stock rims and tires. I think this may leave a pretty large gap in the wheel well and look a bit out of place.

I think with the springs your looking to add you will be wanting to fill that gap with larger tires but I don't think that is budget wise for you because of your recent purchase.

Tim M
Well right now I'm rubbing on the driver's side with the stockers....but yeah it could end up looking goofy. A project not without its risks....

I took measurements a day ago in a flat parking lot and got (empty) driver front 38" to fender lip, passenger side 37.5", driver rear 39", passenger rear 38.5". Then I loaded the wife and 6 kids in. Dropped 1/4 to 1/2" all around. Less than 1/2" off the bump stops on passenger side and 3/4" on the driver side. Hitting the bump stops with nearly every single dip, bump, curve, etc. Seems idiotic to have a bump stop suspension system and the new bilsteins up front are nearly completely bottomed out (rubber boot is a crinkled up mess). The sway bar is also tilted down pretty good which is probably why the passenger side took such a hit in its past life (prior to my month old ownership).

I figure going up is the only sensible thing to do. From everything I've gleaned from the threads here I should end up with.....2.9" up front with X codes...and rear mod B's on stock blocks (est 2" ???) plus RAS 1.1-1.2" for total of 3.1-3.2" ????

Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
I'm in a similar situation. On my previous Ex I had radius rods, stock rear springs with airbags and V's on the front. It did ride a bit rough, don't know how much of that may have been the radius rods.

I am getting a 2005 Ex limited 6.0. I tow a heavy TT 10K lbs with a heavy tongue weight and without airbags it will drop the rear significantly. I towed my TT with a buddy's F250 and we had to air up his bags to get it level.

I only tow it a few times a year but that's what I have the diesel Ex for. I use a Hensley hitch with 1400 lb bars., hitch add more tongue weight. Anyway, I am looking at modded B's and V's, 285 tires, Bilsteins and Hellwig sway bars. I am inclined to go with air bags. I'm not convinced the RAS will be sufficient.

I like the idea of having an on board compressor to adjust on the fly to get the proper ride. What have you all experienced in similar setups? I am trying to combat the wandering issue and be setup for proper towing but get a descent unloaded ride. I know it will be a little harsher with airbags, at least it was on my last EX.

Here is the big question if I go with bags, what kit do I get? Will the kit made for the Ex fit okay or do I need a kit for the Superduty? I'm not sure if the mounting is the same on both, if I recall it's not. Please help if you can, need to order parts soon!

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-22-2012, 01:22 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Hey Steve, we actually make a kit just for your 2005 Excurison, it's part number 57340. You can check it out here: LOADLIFTER 5000; LEAF SPRING LEVELING KIT. Plus, we are running this special too: Air Lift Rebate. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
Hey Steve, we actually make a kit just for your 2005 Excurison, it's part number 57340. You can check it out here: LOADLIFTER 5000; LEAF SPRING LEVELING KIT. Plus, we are running this special too: Air Lift Rebate. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I need. Just to be clear, there will be no issues with the modified springs? What compressor would you recommend? I'm leaning toward the heavy duty version. I think there may be room in the engine compartment for the compressor with the 6.0. I had to put on the frame rail on my previous Ex and it worked okay, but want to keep out of the elements. I had the standard duty compressor before.

How much addition lift will there be with minimum pressure? Thanks again!

Steve