6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge Insight CTS and Battery Charger interaction

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Striderwv
Thanks everyone, mine has one long beep and requires the OBD unplug/plug with a Battery Tender Jr. Mostly when it sits for a awhile. When it does work, it seem to boot up later than it use to (after starting). I suspected a software problem from the get go. Reps to all I could. I'm going to update today and see if that helps the next time I start up.
Good luck Strider! The latest update did not solve my issues. If not for you givem a call.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Thanks for the info. I'll plug 'er into the computer tonight and get the update. I'll report back this weekend on whether or not my issues persist.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Special Ed
*UPDATE* Started her up this morning and same ****. Beep & screens black. Have to unplug & replug then its good. Contacted Edge & explained. Also informed him that I use an onboard Battery Tender & usually keep the truck plugged in when not using it & its cold out. He had me pull my unit out of the truck & take it in to my computer. He said he "changed some files" & sent it to my Fusion software. He had me open the software then plug the unit in. It did its thing transferring files & told me it was done. I unplugged it. Guy said that should do the trick & sounded pretty confident in his work. I plugged it up & she worked right now but the real test will be tomorrow morning & the next couple mornings.
Ed, sounds like you may have spoken with the same tech that programed mine. I have talked with Edge's techs four times and this guy knew his stuff.
How long did the download take.
Good luck tomorrow.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Took like 20 seconds after I plugged up but I have a super fast computer. I sure hope this does the trick because I'm tired of messing with it. My OBDII port is loose as a goose all the in & out its been seeing because of this problem.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just called Edge and spoke to a friendly guy, who put me on hold so he could go talk to someone else after I described my issue.

He didn't ask about my software version, just asked about my truck model year, and I didn't have to connect my unit to the computer for any download.

When he came back on the line he said he had spoken to his master tech. MT told him that it's occuring because the unit is noticing inconsistent voltage, and so some piece of software or hardware is doing this as part of the programming to protect itself.

Right now they have no fix, or a complete understanding of why it's happening.
His best suggestion was to unplug the Edge unit before using the battery tender, and plug it back in afterwards. I guess that's what I'll do.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
We both called with same problem, the same day, within 2 hours of each other & got 2 totally different answers. Doesn't sound like Edge has it together over there.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
We both called with same problem, the same day, within 2 hours of each other & got 2 totally different answers. Doesn't sound like Edge has it together over there.
aint the fist time, aint the last.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Piolet
Just called Edge and spoke to a friendly guy, who put me on hold so he could go talk to someone else after I described my issue.

He didn't ask about my software version, just asked about my truck model year, and I didn't have to connect my unit to the computer for any download.

When he came back on the line he said he had spoken to his master tech. MT told him that it's occuring because the unit is noticing inconsistent voltage, and so some piece of software or hardware is doing this as part of the programming to protect itself.

Right now they have no fix, or a complete understanding of why it's happening.
His best suggestion was to unplug the Edge unit before using the battery tender, and plug it back in afterwards. I guess that's what I'll do.
I have been following along on this thread as I had trouble in the past with an Edge I picked up used off eBay. Don't see how the Edge can be responding to transients. Voltage is never consistent and is going to vary over the course of the night, during start up, etc. Usually battery tenders are pretty well regulated.

What happened with mine was first it would lock up and got glitzy. Then I would come out in the morning to weak batteries and the Edge and my radio on. Batteries were new and charged and I could not find any significant drain with ignition switch off. Unplugged my Edge and all the problems went away. Plug it back in, same thing. Firmware upgrades did not help.

I liked the Edge as I used it instead of pillar guages, so I dumped it and bought a new one this year. No further problems. Can't say how or why, but I deal with module boards all the time in RVs and sometimes they just go to heaven, but often don't fail in total all at once. I hope you get this worked out!

Just my experience,

Steve

Old 02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Appreciate the comment Steve! I think this is day 3 now & she is working just like she is suppose to. I'm still not convinced its fixed yet. Give it a week or two. Report back on this in a couple days.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Its been about a week now & it is working great. Charger has been plugged in everyday. One day I didn't start the truck & next day still worked. Comes on by itself, no more freezing, & all PID's I've chosen come on all the time now.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Its been about a week now & it is working great. Charger has been plugged in everyday. One day I didn't start the truck & next day still worked. Comes on by itself, no more freezing, & all PID's I've chosen come on all the time now.
Glad to hear it!

Steve

Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear Edge fixed your problem.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Yes thanks alot guys! Colm & Doug are your units straightened out yet? Edge documents the changes they made & who the tech was & document by the phone number you give them. If you need my number to ask for the same exact file set-up just let me know.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
I probably ended up with the same setup as you Ricson. Whatever it is its working. I will have to record the info next time I go out & post it.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I probably ended up with the same setup as you Ricson. Whatever it is its working. I will have to record the info next time I go out & post it.
Thanks Ed, I'd be curious what version you're running now. I'm still having the start-up issue when I plug in.

Quick Reply: Edge Insight CTS and Battery Charger interaction