6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

EXHAUST FLUID FAULT

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM
sarends
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got this last week. By the end of the day, after having shut the truck off a couple times, the message went away. Just for good measure I put 2.5 gallons of blue def in. No error message since.

Originally Posted by GDAWG 2012XLT
System fault on dash. 50 miles, speed limited to 50 MPH

Old 03-18-2012, 10:31 PM
DrillbitTailor
Junior User
Just happened to me tonight with just under 400 miles on the truck. DEF fault, speed limited to 50mph in 50 miles. It says DEF level is OK. This is a royal pain as I live far from the dealer and can't be leaving the thing overnight with nothing to drive. This better not be a common occurrence, but reading all of you having it happen is giving me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I hope I am not at the start of regretting trading my 7.3.

My gosh if this happened in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere when I am pulling a boat or a camper up to Canada for a straight through drive this would be awful.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
I don't understand why if this is a ongoing issue Ford gives the owner a hard time about deleting the def system? I understand they need to have it for the good old EPA but they should be happy if the customer removes that crap and they don't need to deal with it! I still don't understand how they can denie the warranty as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 is for that. I have a deleted 02 and 08 ford and just sold a deleted 11 cummins that all had warranty work with no problems or flags, in fact the dodge dealer said that was the best thing you could do for the motor was to get all that crap off and it will not void the warrant.
Sory for the post but I really want to delet this crap from my 12

Bob

Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 AM
DrillbitTailor
Junior User
Well the fault went away with about 25 miles to go before speed limiting. I am glad but frustrated with Ford right now.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 PM
blkout50
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blkout50
btw, mine was fixed under TSB 12-3-5, update calibration
Well... doesn't look like the TSB 12-3-5 is the cure for the DEF fault. My truck is back at the dealer... AGAIN.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
DrillbitTailor
Junior User
Originally Posted by blkout50
Well... doesn't look like the TSB 12-3-5 is the cure for the DEF fault. My truck is back at the dealer... AGAIN.
Sorry to hear that. Do they give you something to drive when you take it in?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
blkout50
Tuned
Originally Posted by DrillbitTailor
Sorry to hear that. Do they give you something to drive when you take it in?
Yeah, they gave me a loaner (Escape). Trying to get them to give me another truck to replace my DEF fault infested truck.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got her back from the dealer this afternoon. It was the Nox sensor so they put a new one in and flashed the PCM. Seems good as new.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:45 PM
blkout50
Tuned
Spoke with my dealer today. They have been on the phone with Ford. Sounds like they are going to reflash my PCM also. Not sure about the Nox sensor, but I should find out more tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 PM
DrillbitTailor
Junior User
I called my dealer to let them know what happened and ask if they wanted me to bring it in. My regualr service adviser said he had never had one come in for any DEF messages yet other than low DEF. He was obviously clueless about the issues we are having out here in the real world. You'd think Ford would want to keep their dealers well informed and ready to address issues. If nothing else, monitor groups like this and feed the data to engineering and tech support.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

I called my dealer to let them know what happened and ask if they wanted me to bring it in. My regualr service adviser said he had never had one come in for any DEF messages yet other than low DEF. He was obviously clueless about the issues we are having out here in the real world. You'd think Ford would want to keep their dealers well informed and ready to address issues. If nothing else, monitor groups like this and feed the data to engineering and tech support.
I think they know all about it but they try to make you think that if your having a problem its a rarity.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
There's know way he doesn't know about that unless he was just hired from a Wawwa! The "manager" were I buy from told me before I ordered mine that was the single biggest problem they have seen they had one when they 1st hit the lot were the motor locked up on a test drive, they installed a new motor and sold it.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM
blkout50
Tuned
Well... picked mine up today. My truck has the P204f fault code (low DEF level). The dealer said every thing checks out fine. They are saying Ford doesn't know what is wrong with my truck. They are waiting on Ford. They told me to just drive it and let them when it happens again. In the mean time they will keep checking with Ford for a solution.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 AM
TWHITE2011
New User
Exhaust fluid

Hey I have a 2011 f250 and at around 21000 miles I had a check engine light come on. I took it in to the dealership and they had to put a def pump on it. Since then I have been back again for the same problem waiting on another pump

Originally Posted by GDAWG 2012XLT
Just wanted to say hi to all. I have had my truck for a month now and love it. I traded my 2002 7.3l F-250 with 167k super crew in for this one. I loved my old truck but the wife said we needed a business write off and look for a new truck. So guess what I bought. My 2012 F-250 Sterling gray, 4 X 4 FX4 3.55, Black leather seats, man step nav. system just gave me a exhaust fluid fault at 960 miles. The next morning same fault. Drove 5 miles and shut off engine and went on the job site for not more than 10 min. Started back up and message was gone. My question is how long will it take for the lite to come back on? Should I take it in and have it looked at? Will a code be stored or will it be a waste of my time to take it in? I was going to add some pics but no can do. It seems that this 6.7L forum is like a bunch of brothers getting together and looking out for each other.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 PM
hua
New User
Me Too!!

I am a proud new owner of a 2012 F350. 198 miles on the truck. Just got the exhaust fluid system fault tonight. After driving for about 5 miles it went away. Whats the latest for those that are still having the issue? I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Has the TSB 12-3-5 been successful for anyone?

Quick Reply: EXHAUST FLUID FAULT