Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Junior User

Zigmyster is starting off with a positive reputation.
1963 Econoline vin numbers

Hello everybody! Just joined. I have been reading a lot of the postings in the forum and am really pleased to see how helpful everybody is to each other. I have finally found an Econoline pickup that is worth restoring. Last time it was on the road was in '85. It has been hacked somewhat. It has a 1973 250 with a C4. Tranny was installed with some goofy looking drop mount (angle iron). Shifter was installed where the ashtray is. Got some extra parts with it. Gauges, emblem, extra gas tank, driveshaft, engine cradle, dog house and some other trim/chrome parts. Somebody has done some bodywork on the backend. It now has 4 tailights. Not sure if it is going to stay that way, or back to having 1 on each side. Whoever did it did a pretty good job! Will post some pics when I get that figured out.
What I am hoping for is some help with the vin.
The data plate on the drivers door post reads:
6901190L-176360A
trim 04
paint JJ
axle 4.00.1
E 100
WB 90
engine RZ-3L/D
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE.
someone will be along to decode your info sooner or later.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Senior User

EmilBarnabas is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is a Ford of Canada vehicle, so its a little harder to translate. I do not have the 1963 Canadian info, so I have interpolated with the 1964/1965 data. If anyone can correct me, please do so.

Starting across the top row of numbers.

6 = 6 cylinder engine, gas
90 = body type E100 pickup
11 = series code E100 Econoline
90 = 90 wheelbase
L = left-hand drive

176350 = serial number (this is different from the US series)
A = gross vehicle weight range 0 6,000 lbs

Trim 04 =
Paint JJ = Rangoon Red
Axel Ratio 4.00:1

Series E100 = Econoline
WB 90 = 90 wheelbase
Engine RZ = Im guessing that it was originally a 144?
Transmission 3L/D = 3-speed
Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Junior User

Thank you!
Hard to say which engine was there originally. What does have me a little baffled is the colour. If JJ does stand for Rangoon Red, then somebody sure did a really good job when they repainted it. Interior is blue. Kinda looks like a Midnight Blue. The L/D could very stand for light duty. As for the gross weight, it does state 3,600 lbs.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Postmaster

66gpw has a good reputation on FTE.66gpw has a good reputation on FTE.
For the engine the R throws me off. The Z says it is a 170 engine that was original in the truck. 3spd Light duty.
That is the Canadian serial number

78 F250
Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Junior User

TY for the reply gpw!
Trying to figure out numbers and letters is not as easy for us as it is for our southern friends. I'm still waiting for my younger brother to give me the info of his '67 econo p/u (250/C4/9") and from my father's '65 econo supervan (was a 6 door, now a 3 door. 200/3 in the tree/7.25/ has about 800,000 miles on it. Still has original pan gasket from Highbury Ford in London On. back in '66. FOMOCO rebuild stamped on the right side of the block. Parked in '86)
Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline

Tags
1963, 63, decode, econline, econoline, f150, ford, forum, fuel, number, pump, translate, van, vin, vintage